PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Rod Bearings you think?

BMW Rated
11-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey guys, is it possible to have a bad connection rod bearings and not have any issues with your crank or need an engine rebuild? The situation is my car E36 M3 idles smooth on start up even if you let it run but the minute you get going and you hit approximately 2000-2500 RPM you hear this crazy knocking and that's the only time you hear it. I haven't been driving the car for obvious reasons. I called around to inquire about a rebuild and the quotes are insane. I know I can look for a used engine but I don't want to go that route if I only need bearings. Just looking for some thoughts. BTW it's a S50 motor.

Thanks

SiR
11-27-2011, 07:31 PM
it all depends on how damaged the crank is. if you are lucky you can get away with just changing the bad bearing(s).

you have to drop the pan etc and check it out. hope you have another car

BMW Rated
11-27-2011, 08:08 PM
it all depends on how damaged the crank is. if you are lucky you can get away with just changing the bad bearing(s).

you have to drop the pan etc and check it out. hope you have another car

Yea I have another car and plan is to drop the pan and etc. I don't think the crank is bad at least I hope it's not if it is I will look for a used crank and go from there. I was told that it's really difficult to ruin a crank but not really sure what the individual was basing it on. Let's say the crank was bad is it more cost effective to just change it or am I better off getting a used engine?