PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a rebuilt title?

gravyface
11-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Looking at an e46 with a rebuilt title. Was a front end collision -- brand-new OEM hood, grill, bumper; apparently no structural damage either.

What are your thoughts on rebuilt titles? i.e. how rigorous is the inspection after the work's been done? I know getting a car safetied and e-tested can be a bit of a rubber stamp sometimes and a safety isn't exactly as thorough as it could be, but I've never dealt with this before, so not sure what to look out for.

Can I get a copy of the original report/inspection from the MTO? Will a Car Proof give me specifics as to what was damaged?

1bmw1
11-27-2011, 06:59 PM
A rebuilt title doesn't mean much without actually knowing the extent of the damage in the first place. I've seen many "rebuilt title" cars that had very minor damage to them.

The person/dealer that you are buying from should be able to to tell or show you exactly what was repaired. Pictures say a hundred words if they have them.

As far as Car Proof or Car Fax go, they are unreliable at times so i wouldn't base my decision on them.

jon.e
11-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Ive owned rebuilt title cars before and ive had no issues, aslong as thr work was done from a good body shop your good to go. The only con id say is selling it afterwards. Having a rebuilt title scares most people off.

gravyface
11-27-2011, 07:52 PM
A rebuilt title doesn't mean much without actually knowing the extent of the damage in the first place. I've seen many "rebuilt title" cars that had very minor damage to them.

The person/dealer that you are buying from should be able to to tell or show you exactly what was repaired. Pictures say a hundred words if they have them.

As far as Car Proof or Car Fax go, they are unreliable at times so i wouldn't base my decision on them.

He said that the MTO took all the pictures and the only thing he has is the inspection certificate. Wonder if my insurance company can dig up anything on it.

gravyface
11-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Ive owned rebuilt title cars before and ive had no issues, aslong as thr work was done from a good body shop your good to go. The only con id say is selling it afterwards. Having a rebuilt title scares most people off.

And I believe the work was done in the spring, so it's not like it's a quick auction flip or anything. My question is: how rigorous is the inspection? I've heard that they cross-reference specifications from the manufacturer but how exactly are they testing out the structural integrity and do they do that regardless or only if there's presumed to be structural damage?

dcramer
11-27-2011, 08:31 PM
well you can always get another test done at your own body shop.

I'd make sure you get a good deal because you will have to discount it when you sell it.

Dave