PDA

View Full Version : Operation Four Doors vs. Project Coupe

MaxBell
11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a rust free car to replace my quickly deteriorating 325i sedan (read rust blossoming in spring).

The big question is, coupe or sedan.

Personally I like the look of the coupe, but every once in a while, when I have to carry more people, its awesome for them to be able to hop in the back easily.

However, how often do I really need to carry people, and how bad is it to have them hop through the front.

Those of you with coupes, what do you think? HUGE inconvenience or irrelevant?

L8 Apexr
11-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Coupe without question,I hate the shorter drivers doors on most 4 door anythings let alone the ruined the looks of a 4 door.

craz azn
11-02-2011, 10:44 PM
IMO, the 4 door looks retarded. Its like they had the e30 on the drawing board, and penciled in a line for a rear door. It makes the car looked longer, almost like a stretched E30. The only way I think it looks shorter is with HUGE wheels (which would look to me like a cartoon on a 2 door in comparison).

For some, the 2 door is worth more, and people may command more of a price for a clean one so keep that in mind. I like the 2 door because it opens up the possibility to do M3 fenders down the road if you want to get crazy with it. As you might have guessed, I think M3 style fenders on a 4 door looks retarded as well.

In terms of useability, I don't like how short the doors are either. The rear is very cramped to get into, and the front is annoying because you get in AROUND the B pillar, whereas you just fall in on a 2 door. The only advantage is in tight parking, where you can open the door a bit more.

Yamahammer
11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Im impartial. You lack this option in your poll. You don't typical buy a 2x year old german car for it's useability.

2 doors generally look better due to their visual simplicity. Please don't ever be a tool and put m3 fenders on a non-m car. That will just leave you with a hollow feeling.

I am sure you have seen this:
http://godschariot.tumblr.com/archive
You should be able to find any picture of any setup you desire on there.

cormier
11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Ya man go coupe, it's not that much of a pain if your seats are working and fold nicely

MaxBell
11-02-2011, 11:22 PM

Holy shit.

I've been looking through there and I don't see many 4drs I like...

Nick_V
11-03-2011, 01:05 AM
90% of the time the coupe looks better, but every now and then I see a sedan that makes me feel not so bad about buying one. They're just harder to get right, looks-wise, but when people nail the wheels/stance, you almost don't notice how many doors it has. Think of it as a challenge.

Or, just don't choose. They're cheap enough. One to daily, one to make-a-nice.

El Gato Liso
11-03-2011, 01:49 AM
4 doors for more whores buddyyyyyy

and ya...its a bit more challanging making a 4 door look good! its an art.

DTM
11-03-2011, 04:04 AM

WOW, thank you so much for sharing this. Also, as far as the coupe vs sedan thing goes. Personally, I'd take a coupe, even though I drive a sedan. LOL. But one day I hope to have both, maybe a wagon too. Good luck and happy hunting. *wave*

noodles101
11-03-2011, 05:58 AM
ya 4 door E30s look stretched, like how retarded 7 series / s class long wheel base look. ( due to longer rear doors )

BMe30
11-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Go 4dr.... I haven't had and complaints about mine so far.

Its funny how a few compared the 4d to a 7er... I have 7 series rep rims on mine lol.

defaultName
11-03-2011, 07:54 AM
The only 4 door E30 I would buy would be a Touring.

Bullet Ride
11-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Please don't ever be a tool and put m3 fenders on a non-m car. That will just leave you with a hollow feeling.

I guess you haven't seen this dudes builds before...
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/vlad-e30m3/white-M3-vert/041.jpg
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215724

WOW, thank you so much for sharing this.

I've been sharing it in my signature for almost a year now *th-up*

everlast
11-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I am the opposite to most.. I find the sedan the more attractive of the two, always have.

In the end, its a matter of personal preference. Who cares what other people think.. What do you think Maxbell?

InfiniteDice
11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I scrapped a 2 door once. Honestly I don't really care, If you have a baby seat or a giant dog, the 4 door is the only way to really roll.

There are other things as well... the rear windows on the 2 door.... I dunno I like having 4 windows that go up and down, not those flap window things. Again my dog likes to hang his head out the window, well on a 2 door that's not happening. Also 2 doors obviously have longer doors, so the swing out is further in tight parking situations.

To each his own, if it's just a play car (no dogs or babies) then the 2 door will be fine.

jasonbaek
11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Previous owner of my coupe rocked with 2 baby seats in back seat.
I personally like coupe (I'll take 2 door version no matter what the car is, except solara and murano convertible).

MaxBell
11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
In the end, its a matter of personal preference. Who cares what other people think.. What do you think Maxbell?

This is more of a practicality question. I like the coupes better, but I'm concerned about interior space. I guess I'm not married, no dog, don't have "more whores" and don't often carry much gear, a coupe should be fine.

Also: not everyone can have a 300 hp, very much mint, 4 dr.

90% of the time the coupe looks better, but every now and then I see a sedan that makes me feel not so bad about buying one. They're just harder to get right, looks-wise, but when people nail the wheels/stance, you almost don't notice how many doors it has. Think of it as a challenge.

Or, just don't choose. They're cheap enough. One to daily, one to make-a-nice.

The first E30 I saw in highschool that I liked was a silver 4dr. Very wide, very racy. However, I know now how much $$$ and time was put into that car, just to be happy with it.

I'm going to keep my current sedann as well, it's just that I feel like it needs some resto work if I am to continue tossing it around like I do. I don't feel right putting the M50 into a winter beater either.

daveed
11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
there's no difference in interior room? both are equally cramped...

BMe30
11-03-2011, 09:54 PM
there's no difference in interior room? both are equally cramped...

Good point..
Also with a 4dr you dont have to open your door get out and let someone in the back.... If you let people in the back.

E30M42cab
11-03-2011, 10:52 PM
People who need to ride in the back are the same people that need to get their own damn car. plus, if you're properly low enough, if you even think about putting anyone in the back with a full tank of gas, your muffler should actually anchor you to the ground, and then fall off automatically.

everlast
11-03-2011, 11:22 PM
I just and went and hugged my 4 dr.

MaxBell
11-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I just and went and hugged my 4 dr.

**** YO 4 DOOR NIGGA!!

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/714320_o.gif

And can you PUH-LEASE fix you damn signature!? It's been cutting off half the image for like 2 months.

People who need to ride in the back are the same people that need to get their own damn car. plus, if you're properly low enough, if you even think about putting anyone in the back with a full tank of gas, your muffler should actually anchor you to the ground, and then fall off automatically.

YOu are so full of the E30 jokes. Now that I think about it though, front seats are for girlfriends and best friends, back seats are for luggage and lackies.

And yes, my exhaust does fall off automatically. Then I get that lovely BLRAHHHAHHAAAAAA!!! and 10 hp!

voluted
11-03-2011, 11:56 PM

I was going to say the same thing. Get a few big guys in the back and you're sphincter will tighten whenever you see the slightest hump in the road ahead.

BMe30
11-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Nah... Had a full car before no issue as you claim... Stiff springs helped that. The only worry i have with my car being as low as it is, is the oil pan.

everlast
11-04-2011, 10:55 AM
And can you PUH-LEASE fix you damn signature!? It's been cutting off half the image for like 2 months.

That *IS* the image lol. It just looks cut off. :D

I'll update it just for you.

InfiniteDice
11-04-2011, 10:59 AM
I was going to say the same thing. Get a few big guys in the back and you're sphincter will tighten whenever you see the slightest hump in the road ahead.

That's why I have 650# springs for the back... not gonna budge that biotch. :)

Two car seats is possible, I'd say a little bit of a hassle. I used to be able to put my mountain bike (once the wheels were off) in the back foot wells.

Big thing is DOG... he's over 100lbs of "I wanna look out the window". In addition to the 4 doors you want the tough e30 leather, I try to pre-treat it on occasion so it stays nice and pliable but it has held up great over the past year.

MaxBell
11-04-2011, 02:41 PM
That *IS* the image lol. It just looks cut off. :D

I'll update it just for you.

Pfft...whatever. Like I need to see all those doors.

phreshSOCKS
11-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I have had both 4 door and coupe and think the 2 door has more space and so do my friends. I have decent recaro buckets which I think make a little difference in my 2 door. And who cares you don't have to sit in the back anyways.

egye30
11-04-2011, 07:56 PM
are you guys really gonna make me hate my i :( ?
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab140/905cb7/IMAG0231.jpg?t=1320447101

But, i dont really use the back seat tbh, since nobody can fit in there since im like 6'2. i like being able to roll the back windows down too, lined up side to side they're the same size id say..

everlast
11-05-2011, 01:12 PM
egye30, that's some clean shit right there. nice!

mgunter
11-05-2011, 02:02 PM
2dr's look better and work just fine with passengers and animals. If they're too cheap to buy a car, then they can't complain!
I'm 6'4" and took a trip with a full car from Kingston to Montreal (there was room in the other vehicle we were travelling with but they wanted to ride in style! ;) )
And i've also had two people in the back with my hound. No complaints other than my dog gets a bit excited sometimes! :P
It also helps that my drivers seat is broken and won't fold forward! So everyone goes in the passenger side!

egye30
11-05-2011, 02:21 PM
egye30, that's some clean shit right there. nice!

Thank you sir, she's due for a mild tint and a lowering setup (and hopefully a swap) when I store it this winter

Nick_V
11-05-2011, 06:31 PM
egye30, I saw your car parked in Gore Park a couple weeks ago where all the bus stops are. I spotted it coming out of Safin Grill and actually went around the block to get a better look LOL.

egye30
11-06-2011, 03:34 AM
haha yeah thanks, i was parked at the very edge i remember, too bad i wasnt around to chat, im pretty darn sure ive seen your touring around, not many like it around here lol

Gleb
11-06-2011, 12:14 PM
IMO, the 4 door looks retarded.

I am going to remember that.

craz azn
11-06-2011, 08:54 PM
I am going to remember that.

You do that DF. *th-up*

Axxe
11-07-2011, 05:48 PM
It's the same car boys, I don't understand the hate.

dble Trouble
11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
You guys dissing the 4 door are retarded. Same damn car. I've had a 2 door and now have a 4 door e30 and way prefer the 4 door. You guys are really that skin deep that all you care about is how it looks? Really is this what the world had come to? Looks? Wow.

From a function stand point the shorter front door has never been a hindrance, yet the longer 2 door has. Practically there's no argument 4 door wins hands down.

Now if we have to get into the looks department, the 2 door to me looks awkward to me as there is nothing behind the door, no detail just "weight" in the body panel.

MaxBell
11-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks guys for the info! I'm going to keep the 4dr, as a winter DD. It's getting some rust repair done. I just picked up an '86 coupe for $300, which is very clean, but missing some bits, the M50 will go into that.

L8 Apexr
11-07-2011, 10:24 PM
You guys dissing the 4 door are retarded. Same damn car. I've had a 2 door and now have a 4 door e30 and way prefer the 4 door. You guys are really that skin deep that all you care about is how it looks? Really is this what the world had come to? Looks? Wow.

From a function stand point the shorter front door has never been a hindrance, yet the longer 2 door has. Practically there's no argument 4 door wins hands down.

Now if we have to get into the looks department, the 2 door to me looks awkward to me as there is nothing behind the door, no detail just "weight" in the body panel.

Feel better now?

Its an opinion,which unless we suddenly became a communist country I'm entitled to have and express the same as you are.Saying I'm retarded because I prefer a coupe isn't cool.

dble Trouble
11-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Sorry didn't mean to offend but my point was written poorly I guess. I don't care that some prefer the two door and others prefer the 4 door. It's just listening to the bulk of the comments and putting so much weight on whether or not it's a 2 door or 4 door simply because of looks rather than condition. I just don't get it. I must be getting old, 'cause looks just don't matter that much to me. When I was shopping for an e30 it really didn't matter to me whether I got a 2 or 4 door. I wanted the m20, and it had to be a super clean car. I found that in the car I now own and that's all she wrote.

MaxBell
11-08-2011, 11:09 AM
No worries guys, this is 2dr vs. 4dr!! Not us vs. them!

El Gato Liso
11-08-2011, 11:24 AM
4 doors can look great when not broken!!!!

just as moddable as 2 doors!

and just as sad in the winter as 2 doors!

join the 4 door movement. 4 doo'real

Shock(/\)ave
11-09-2011, 02:08 AM
If you want a proper sedan from this era buy an E34... in an E30 stick with a coupe. ;)