PDA

View Full Version : E30 rookie help

procopio89
10-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Ok so I just picked up an E30 325I it was working good but one night I was a lil baked and excited about getting on the road so I sat in my car and started fooling around with my center console and now my car won't even crank over I don't know if i presed somthing to stop the voltage from going in to my igintion but I need help if any one knows what I did wrong I accept full blame for I am a noob to the E30 and yea a retard :)

Ceeker
10-26-2011, 11:15 PM
check your fuses..I had this happen to me a couple times..also check your neutral safety switch..(white box) under the shifter.

everlast
10-26-2011, 11:23 PM
You mean, you were playing with the "code" button on the OBC?

Ceeker
10-26-2011, 11:47 PM
You mean, you were playing with the "code" button on the OBC?

oh!! that's right..forgot about that thing...lol...

procopio89
10-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks I'm going to check that out tomorrow. Another question on cold start my car shuts off unless I rev the engin to warm up I was thinking idle control valve any thoughts?

frankie591
10-27-2011, 12:12 AM
your battery may be drained low enough to still run lights and stuff but not enough to turn over. I know when I was getting mine on the road I had to always have a battery tender on it because the alternator was never really charging the battery.

procopio89
10-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Yea I was playing with the code button...........also its not even cranking after I played with the button.......I may have ****ed up?

egye30
10-27-2011, 04:05 AM
the "code" feature on the OBC is an anti theft feature, its kind of like a stock kill switch, it uses a programmed code by the owner to cut the fuel flow from the tank to the engine, that way if somebody manages to hotwire your ignition, they still wouldnt get too far. and the only way to turn it off again is by entering that code again, so this is where you hope you weren't too baked to remember the code lool.. if not, check the fuses by the battery in the trunk, i had one blow on me the first day i got mine and it drove me insane till i found out what it was, had to tow it home and everything lol.. good luck!

procopio89
10-27-2011, 04:09 AM
I bought the car used the owner never gave me a code is there anyway around it ?

Bullet Ride
10-27-2011, 04:10 AM
Thanks I'm going to check that out tomorrow. Another question on cold start my car shuts off unless I rev the engin to warm up I was thinking idle control valve any thoughts?

Could be a bad coolant temp sensor. If the car thinks its warm it'll be injecting less fuel at idle then when it's cold, but in reality the car is actually cold. The problem will go away once the motor is actually warm. Once you can get it to start just unplug the coolant temp sensor and see if it makes a difference.

procopio89
10-27-2011, 04:10 AM
And also what dose obc stand for

Bullet Ride
10-27-2011, 04:12 AM
And also what dose obc stand for

On-Board Computer.

egye30
10-27-2011, 04:14 AM
OBC stands for On Board Computer i believe

procopio89
10-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Thanks I seen that there were wires cut at the rad it self no where else but I need to know is there anyway around the killswitch that I stupidly presed

egye30
10-27-2011, 04:23 AM
I bought the car used the owner never gave me a code is there anyway around it ?

well considering you've driven the car before, and you only had problems once messing with it.. that can only mean either it had no code and you set one by playing with it, orr you miraculously got the right code that was set before and activated it.. but im not even really sure how it works so you'd have to do a little research and im sure you will find how to reset it, i know this info only because i was curious what that button was for and searched it up and decided not to mess with it after lol (apparently the owners manual tells you how it works im not a 100% on that, if you dont have one i can check mine tomorrow and get back to ya)

procopio89
10-27-2011, 04:27 AM
Please and thank you.......the owner before me did not have anything it was his sons car and he left the country......and he left his 83 year old father with a car for 3 years where I ended up picking it up for 350$

egye30
10-27-2011, 04:34 AM
To make a long story a little less long, what you have to do is to disconnect the battery (I disconnected the negative and then the positive and shorted them together and then reconnected them). Then put the key in the run position and watch the OBC count down for 15 minutes. DO NOT turn the key off during this time, or the counter will restart at 15 minutes again. After the 15 minutes you will be able to start the car.

i got this from another board, it was from an e36 owner but i assume its a similar process for e30's, another post some where else says just disconnect the battery for a little while and then reconnect it. good luck

Bullet Ride
10-27-2011, 04:55 AM
I don't see why you couldn't just remove the OBC completely and do the thing mentioned with the battery connecting the two leads to reset the DME. The car will run without the OBC, I don't have one in mine.

everlast
10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
The code lock out computer is not in the OBC, it's in a separate box behind the dash to the left of the cluster.

1. Download the owner's manual to learn how to use the code button. (Google it.) You set the code yourself, so you likely pressed some buttons and now it's coded.

2. Leave the key forward, disconnect the battery overnight and the code may remove itself.

3. Stopped getting baked and / or doing stupid things. :D

procopio89
10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Lmfao thanks

procopio89
10-28-2011, 09:48 PM
if the code dose not remove it self i could just remove the lock out computer....or will that not work

procopio89
10-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Ok so I disconected the battery for about 8 hours and charged it at my work thank god I work in a parts store......anyways the battery was at 9 volts I thoight that was the problem but it was not I charged the battery its mint now but my car still will not cranck over I called mississaugga bmw to see what they would tell me but there lips are sealed more than a encloser made with PL premium I was wondering if I were to remove the imobbliser if I could still start the car and how much work would be involved.....also dose any know of a BMW michanic that could give me some advise?

jasonbaek
10-31-2011, 02:31 AM
try one of our sponsors.

procopio89
10-31-2011, 02:33 AM
Who is a sponsor?
And how do I come in contact with them?

DTM
11-02-2011, 04:38 AM
Who is a sponsor?
And how do I come in contact with them?

Sponsors are listed in the forum index, just like you would find general discussion, technical or multimedia. Btw Marco, this is Alex. Let me know if you figure anything out, I will do the same. Best of luck.

procopio89
11-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Klim thanks a lot bro

DTM
11-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Klim thanks a lot bro

lol it was nothing, I just wish I could actually help you. I hope you get everything sorted so you can actually enjoy the good parts of owning an e30, trust me, it's worth it.

procopio89
11-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Ok so I need some advice....this guy came to my work and needed some parts for an E30 I asked him some questions about my problem and he told me that the actual immobilizer has 2 circuit boards on it and he told me to actual jump the wires from the power to the ignition now I asked a tech at my work he said that in doing so I could mess it up because there would not me any restiance going threw the wire now my dilemma is should I do it and see what happens or should I bring it to a shop and see what they could do for me...what in your opinion should I do? Go for gold or dish out cash?