PDA

View Full Version : M20 Timing Belt Emergency

MaxBell
10-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Ok my car started squealing this afternoon from the engine bay.

I've known the belts need replacing for a couple months.

Where can I get the timing belt and tensioner, power steering and alternator belts here in Ottawa? How big a job is this? I looked it all up on Pelican Parts and it'll be $75 shipping here. Do it?

*sad*

daveed
10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
man I wanted to just troll you hard... 500 posts and you don't know where to get a belt and a DIY for the most common repair for an m20 e30?

Don't pay $75 shipping for an easy to get belt, get it from autopartsway.ca or the dealer or something, and read through the gd DIYs on r3v/e30tech/bentley manual/google and gauge if you can do it

SickFinga
10-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Timing Belt - $19.60 (http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetails.cfm?W0133-1633201/GDY/BMW/1987/325i/Base/2.5L_L6/allB/Engine/Valve_Train_Components/Engine_Timing_Belt/pagenum1/tabS)

Timing Belt Tensioner - $37.79 (http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetails.cfm?W0133-1629882/OEA/BMW/1987/325i/Base/2.5L_L6/allB/Engine/Valve_Train_Components/Engine_Timing_Belt_Tensioner/pagenum1/tabS)

Accessories Belt - $8-12 (depends on which oneyou need) (http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList.cfm?BMW/1987/325i/Base/2.5L_L6/allB/Electrical,_Charging_and_Starting/Alternator_*_Generator_and_Related_Components/Accessory_Drive_Belt/pagenum1/tabS)

Comes up to $65 before tax. Add oil filter and air filter which will bring you total to slightly over $75 and you'll qualify for a free shipping.
Most parts are shipped from Mississauga so you'll most likely get them this week.

MaxBell
10-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Wow, I didn't even know that site existed. Cheers.

I'm seeing this is an 8 hour job? WUT...? Or is R3V just stupid...

InfiniteDice
10-04-2011, 12:18 AM
It's not like swapping an air filter. lol

If you've never done this before it's at least 6 hours start to finish.

I don't know where that goodyear belt comes from but I'd only buy the contitech one if I were you. Look at the specs of that goodyear belt, it's not even the right length.

I'd also suggest that if you've never done the waterpump before to do it now if you have the cash. Buy a gasket for it as well and put some black rtv sealant on both sides.

The fun part is getting the belt over the bottom cog it's partially obscured by the aluminum cover, and make sure you turn the engine over to TDC before you remove the old belt. Once the new belt is on rotate it fully twice and check that the marks on the head and the bottom end still point to the TDC marks on the housings.

The timing belt is easy to do but you always need to double check things afterward, before you turn that key the first time.

Good luck :)

SickFinga
10-04-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't know where that goodyear belt comes from but I'd only buy the contitech one if I were you. Look at the specs of that goodyear belt, it's not even the right length.

Can't comment on the goodyear vs contitech, but the sizes that are give for the goodyear are for the box, not for the actual belt.

everlast
10-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Timing belt kit instead of parts separately:

http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList.cfm?BMW/1987/325i/Base/2.5L_L6/allB/Engine/Valve_Train_Components/Engine_Timing_Belt_Component_Kit/pagenum1/tabS

I'd do the water pump at the same time, given you probably don't know when it was replaced last:

http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList.cfm?BMW/1987/325i/Base/2.5L_L6/allB/Cooling/Water_Pump_and_Related_Components/Engine_Water_Pump/pagenum1/tabS

You need to pick the right one, and get a gasket. You'll also need coolant (unless you reuse yours) and consider replacing the front cam seal while you're in there if there is oil leaking from the top front of the motor. You have to remove the rad, so also look at any of your rad hoses for cracking, etc. You will want to replace any that are marginal.

Finally, get a couple cans of brake cleaner. You're going to want to easily see all the timing marks on the front of the motor.

For my first time, it probably took 6 hours mainly due to the long pauses and deep breaths. Going slow = less mistakes.

MaxBell
10-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Good luck :)

LOLWUT.

I don't see where it's the wrong size...I just ordered it, better be right.

10-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Where can I get the timing belt and tensioner, power steering and alternator belts here in Ottawa? How big a job is this? I looked it all up on Pelican Parts and it'll be $75 shipping here. Do it?

*sad*

...............its not his fault he's a [rookie]*sleep*....."kids":moon:

MaxBell
10-04-2011, 12:51 PM
...............its not his fault he's a [rookie]*sleep*....."kids":moon:

Hey, we gotta start somewhere! :D Timing belt jobs were something I was hoping NOT to have to learn. But alas, I don't think the M50 will be in the car soon enough. *thmbsdwn*

everlast
10-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Timing belt is a great learning job actually Max; lots of wrenching and fiddling but no real dangerous or finicky parts. You should be nice and comfortable with solving the problems that will be presented to you if you're going to do a swap anyway.

MaxBell
10-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Ya figured. I'm glad I'm finished up the motorcycle rebuild with no issues. Makes me a bit more confident.

everlast
10-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Get your M license yet?

davericher20
10-04-2011, 04:28 PM
8 hours isn't exaggerated for a first timer. Def do the water pump if nothing else. And take the hood off

MaxBell
10-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Get your M license yet?

PFFTT...As if I'm driving it legally...

Ceeker
10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
it has been my experience that you best get a manual that outlines "how too" or do a google search on M20 timing belt replacement. This should be a good source to start with. if you are mech handy you should have no problems doing it. Doesn't matter where you get the parts you'll save maybe 30-50 at most. Make sure the tensioner is stamped with 27 I believe I can't recall now but has a marking on it.

also, when installing the belt you will have to double,triple check your timing marks. the easiest way to do this is after removing the fan etc. Rotate the motor manually until you get to TDC. then remove everything including the old belt. Remove the waterpump, install new one and reverse order - put everything back. the timing belt is the tricky part. you have to MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE there is no slack and MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you have the right amount of tension on the belt. one that is too loose or two tight may prematurely wear your belt out, make noise, skip a tooth or snap. the rest is bolt on.

As mentioned once the belt is one rotate the engine twice to make sure the timing belt marks line up and there is no binding. IF you get binding stop immediately. reverse the rotation recheck the timing marks. Remove the belt if you have to to re-align the cam with the crank. Be careful if this happens or you can bend a valve(s) and that means you'll be removing the head.

10-04-2011, 05:02 PM
it has been my experience that you best get a manual that outlines "how too" or do a google search on M20 timing belt replacement. This should be a good source to start with. if you are mech handy you should have no problems doing it. Doesn't matter where you get the parts you'll save maybe 30-50 at most. Make sure the tensioner is stamped with 27 I believe I can't recall now but has a marking on it.

also, when installing the belt you will have to double,triple check your timing marks. the easiest way to do this is after removing the fan etc. Rotate the motor manually until you get to TDC. then remove everything including the old belt. Remove the waterpump, install new one and reverse order - put everything back. the timing belt is the tricky part. you have to MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE there is no slack and MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you have the right amount of tension on the belt. one that is too loose or two tight may prematurely wear your belt out, make noise, skip a tooth or snap. the rest is bolt on.

As mentioned once the belt is one rotate the engine twice to make sure the timing belt marks line up and there is no binding. IF you get binding stop immediately. reverse the rotation recheck the timing marks. Remove the belt if you have to to re-align the cam with the crank. Be careful if this happens or you can bend a valve(s) and that means you'll be removing the head.

.........Now theres some "quality" info*th-up*.......
........."Good on ja".."E"*rockout*

Bullet Ride
10-04-2011, 05:56 PM
One of the fun parts for me when I did my timing belt this spring was getting the clutch fan off. Unless you have the correct size clutch fan spanner you're SOL because a regular 32mm wrench won't fit, the water pump pulley bolts get in the way. Luckily I was able to remove two of the water pump pulley bolts to make enough clearance. Removing the clutch fan can also be fun if it's the first time it's being removed since it was installed.

Fortunately (and unfortunately) my car looked like this when I was working on it so I had lots of room to work.
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/StevoM5/325i/DSC02183.jpg

Overall it's not too bad of a job to do. Just take your time and follow the steps in the bentley manual and you'll be fine.

MaxBell
10-04-2011, 06:10 PM
I've got everything under control I think. Parts on the way, got a day set aside.

Ceeker
10-04-2011, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=Bullet Ride;1527518]One of the fun parts for me when I did my timing belt this spring was getting the clutch fan off. Unless you have the correct size clutch fan spanner you're SOL because a regular 32mm wrench won't fit, the water pump pulley bolts get in the way. Luckily I was able to remove two of the water pump pulley bolts to make enough clearance. Removing the clutch fan can also be fun if it's the first time it's being removed since it was installed.

one thing you forgot to mention; the fan is a reverse thread so it loosen clockwise NOT counter clockwise. don't remove any of the belts before you attempt to remove the fan clutch.

also, depending on which type of reservoir you have you can use a regular 32mm wrench. If it is old school torpedo shaped the wrench won't work. I bought a cheap wrench at princess auto and had it shaved/machined down to fit in. If you have the newer style located at the front drivers inner fender you can wiggle a standard thickness wrench through. Don't ask me why it work on one and not the other. I've done many of these jobs. You might want to use a hammer to tap the wrench to break the nut loose. once done you just spin the fan off and remove it with the fan shroud.

MaxBell
10-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the tips Ceeker. You da man.

everlast
10-05-2011, 01:26 AM
PFFTT...As if I'm driving it legally...

Then I hope that means you're not riding at all.

everlast
10-05-2011, 01:29 AM
At thin 32mm wrench is available at most bicycle shops. I had one from my bike as a kid, but seem to have misplaced it. Once you get it onto the bolt, a sharp whack with a hammer usually loosens it!

E30M42cab
10-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Steve, you did the right thing removing a couple of bolts from the pulley. Don't let anyone tell you that you need a thin walled 32mm wrench to do this job. That's all BS conjured up to make you buy more tools!

Fan clutch tool available from Princess auto is your friend also. Makes the job a breeze. http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/hand-tools/automotive-tools/auto-repair/8003801-viscous-fan-holding-tool

everlast
10-05-2011, 10:13 AM
You preach about not needing more tools, then link to another tool? LOL!!

Just put a flat head screwdriver leveraged between two bolts and crank it. Always worked for me!

Get your parts yet Max? And post pics of the bike dammit!

North
10-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Just put a flat head screwdriver leveraged between two bolts and crank it. Always worked for me!

This.

prop a large one between two of the four fan/clutch bolts or between the belt and pulley to stop the whole thing from rotating, and it is easy as pie.

davericher20
10-05-2011, 11:35 AM
what, you guys did't pay $70 for a 32mm wrench at an industrial supply store?

:D

Don't judge me.

10-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Get your parts yet Max? And post pics of the bike dammit!

I "like you"....please be my friend*sad*

E30M42cab
10-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I have no response to that really, haha! Shut up!:P

This.

Jam the wrech on there with a hammer without removing two of the fan bolts, disconnect the ignition wire and turn over the engine until the fan spins off. Don't remove the fan shroud first. Let the fan fall out the bottom of the engine bay.

Ceeker
10-05-2011, 06:21 PM
yeah, then rip everything out with your bare hands and brute iron strength.. throw all caution to the wind and use the "force" to put everything back! LOL

E30M42cab
10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
well, in Max's case, remove M20. Install M50.

MaxBell
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
yaya, I was hoping the M50 would be ready before I had to do anything else with the M20.

**** YOU TIMING BELT SINCE YOU ARE STUPID

everlast
10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
This thread brightened my night. Well played fellas.

10-05-2011, 10:33 PM
This thread brightened my night. Well played fellas.

lol:D....fcplm

Ceeker
10-05-2011, 10:55 PM
lol:D....fcplm

I know...sad isn't it..:confused::(

everlast
10-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Well I spent all night painting the house. This thread made me LOL. I like LOLLING.

Ceeker
10-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Well I spent all night painting the house. This thread made me LOL. I like LOLLING.

yeah, I'd laugh at anything after a job like that.*mumble*

everlast
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
yeah, I'd laugh at anything after a job like that.*mumble*

It's ok, I'm at least 10% done.

*mumble*

E30M42cab
10-05-2011, 11:27 PM
It's ok, I'm at least 10% done.

*mumble*

I'm in the same boat. Mudding drywall, priming, painting... pulling out cupboards to make room for a dishwasher. The vert needs a wheel bearing, and the coupe needs a clutch, but gotta get those walls painted incase I ever need to drive the house to work*mumble*

everlast
10-05-2011, 11:28 PM
BAHAH that made me LOL again!

everlast
10-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Oh ya, I especially love how drywall dust gets *EVERYWHERE* ****.

MaxBell
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
I'll trade you painting for doing the timing belt! Ehh? EHH!?

everlast
10-06-2011, 12:40 AM
I have impossibly high standards when it comes to others doing work for me. My wife really hates that.

MaxBell
10-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Dude, I painted 97 dorms at the U of G. I can cut in blindfolded. I use drop cloths.

10-06-2011, 06:06 AM
yaya, I was hoping the M50 would be ready before I had to do anything else with the M20.

:huh?:...dreamer*sleep*

:huh?:...."pfftt"..... some......:eek:MERGENCY!

...tip...look up "bimmer30"....hes looking for friends to "hang" with,..... & play "funny" games..
ie: "chicken pulling"....etc

*mumble**mumble*..."lightweight rookie" dreamers*sleep*

Dude, I painted 97 dorms at the U of G. I can't "cut it" in a "mans world". I use cloth diapers!".
*th-up*

I'll pm you, I'm friggin confused.

...now there's a "mouthful":

Pfft...you cleanly don't speak internet.

you are "one" to "talk"

this "MaxBell" gave me a headache.

"ditto"

*mumble**mumble*

just lettin this furom [*forum] know

Ceeker
10-06-2011, 08:29 AM

here is a novel idea, how about "PAYING" someone to do your timing belt. I mean it is urgent isn't it? :rolleyes:

Ceeker
10-06-2011, 08:32 AM

*sad*

btw; just because your belts started screeching doesn't mean you need to change them. the sudden temp change and dew on the belts can cause this until they warm up. it also doesn't mean the timing belt needs replacing. However, if you don't know when it was done and you think it is due due to having the car for say 4 or so years then I would suggest changing that. then you might as well change the other belts too. Otherwise just keep driving it..or if you are concerned, replace the belt before it breaks.

10-06-2011, 09:19 AM
btw; just because your belts started screeching doesn't mean you need to change them. the sudden temp change and dew on the belts can cause this until they warm up. it also doesn't mean the timing belt needs replacing. However, if you don't know when it was done and you think it is due due to having the car for say 4 or so years then I would suggest changing that. then you might as well change the other belts too. Otherwise just keep driving it..or if you are concerned, replace the belt before it breaks.

that's some of "da best" mechanicl [*mechanical] info on MAX!*love**love*
"good on ja "E"*th-up*

Ceeker
10-06-2011, 09:22 AM
that's some of "da best" mechanicl info on MAX!*love**love*
"good on ja "E"*th-up*

411 - you kill me..:D

10-06-2011, 09:39 AM
411 - you kill me..:D

*wiggle* thanx ernie, that's the "nicest" thing you have ever said to me*th-up*.......

just letting this furom [*forum] know

davericher20
10-06-2011, 04:53 PM
*wiggle* thanx ernie, that's the "nicest" thing you have ever said to me*th-up*.......

just letting this furom [*forum] know

You should put "just letting this forum know" in your signature. That way you don't have to write it everytime you post.

10-06-2011, 05:07 PM
You should put "just letting this forum know" in your signature. That way you don't have to write it everytime you post.

.....true dat!*th-up*....."I dont know how???....wouldn't mind gettn' me a 'bigger" "sig"
"PIC"fcplm....mine looks "lame"....sorta like "E"'s:rolleyes: ...I'd like one like my "buddy" Scott's,..but we don't "chat that much:(....these "days" I'm thinkn' he's
*just*:idea:
"POed that I haven't come thru on da "sunshade" deal ......yet!

E30M42cab
10-06-2011, 06:56 PM
.....true dat!*th-up*....."I dont know how???....wouldn't mind gettn' me a 'bigger" "sig"
"PIC"fcplm....mine looks "lame"....sorta like "E"'s:rolleyes: ...I'd like one like my "buddy" Scott's,..but we don't "chat that much:(....these "days" I'm thinkn' he's
*just*:idea:
"POed that I haven't come thru on da "sunshade" deal ......yet!

I'm a busy man these days Barron! You and Ernie don't have jobs, so you can talk to each other all you want! :P

Did you get the pics of the ASA's I sent you? Want 'em?

Ceeker
10-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm a busy man these days Barron! You and Ernie don't have jobs, so you can talk to each other all you want! :P

HEYHEYHEY!!!! What do you mean we don't have jobs???*mumble* How do you think I can afford all my bmw crap??? I resent that....:moon::puke: I may not work at a full time job but I still have a job, so there.:rolleyes: ;)

you're just jealous anyway cause we can spend quality time on here and not get bitched at. LOL..

oh this is sooo much fun!!!!lol

Ceeker
10-06-2011, 10:14 PM

HEYHEYHEY!!!! What do you mean we don't have jobs???*mumble* How do you think I can afford all my bmw crap??? I resent that....:moon::puke: I may not work at a full time job but I still have a job, so there.:rolleyes: ;)

you're just jealous anyway cause we can spend quality time on here and not get bitched at. LOL..

oh this is sooo much fun!!!!lol yaknow...Scott's response reads awfully stressful wouldn't you think??

E30M42cab
10-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Check your PM Ernie. Business as usual.

10-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Check your PM Ernie. Business as usual.

...[like "E" said]*th-up*....clearly an "addict"...:rolleyes:....:idea:...we should organize some type of "INTERVENTION"!!*par-t*