PDA

View Full Version : Auto-x this weekend

E30M42cab
09-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Hey guys and gals! The Trillium Auto-x is this sunday at the Powerade Centre, and we're hoping for good numbers. Last event we had six e30's, which was a season high, including a 1, 2, 3 finish for e30's in the event, and five e30's in the top 10, which I can't say is unexpected, or out of the ordinary.*th-up* Hope to see a few more of you out to this event so we can have compete domination of track!! Hope to see you there!
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/e30m42cab/14.jpg

karmatose
09-21-2011, 08:24 AM
This kills me. I'd love to do an auto-x event before the end of the season, but my car is no where near ready for it.

MaxBell
09-21-2011, 08:42 AM
My car makes me happy when it makes it to school and back. One day at a time...

DIY
09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
I gota a bad wheel bearing I thin, but I'm sure it will be ok... Also it don't squeal so ill see ya there :D

E30M42cab
09-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I gota a bad wheel bearing I thin, but I'm sure it will be ok... Also it don't squeal so ill see ya there :D

Hell ya, me too! I've let my ball joints go for so long it has destroyed one of my wheel bearings that I replaced last year... I'll be doing the ball joints on saturday though, so it'll just be the bearing that won't be happy. Oh, and rehang my muffler with some ... something.

karmatose
09-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I have some hangers in my trunk... Bit of a drive for you though.

E30M42cab
09-21-2011, 11:51 AM
I've got rubber doughnuts, it's just the strap that rusted out, which I ghetto rigged for a couple of years, and then the hanger failed, so I ghetto rigged a new hanger, and then the strap broke again, and the strap broke agaiiiiiiin, so now I really need a strap.

karmatose
09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
lmfao. Well, if the ones I pulled from my 318i will help you in any way, I can send them to you. They're just gonna end up at the salvage yard on the weekend when I do my scrap run.

I'm sure you could MacGyver something together.

T.Dot_E30
09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Straps are pretty cheap, just a pain to install.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList.cfm?BMW/1991/318is/Base/1.8L_L4/allB/Exhaust/Clamps/Exhaust_Muffler_Clamp/pagenum1/tabS

E30M42cab
09-21-2011, 12:06 PM
They're not as cheap as they should be. I'll rig it up one way or another.

T.Dot_E30
09-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Spoken like a true e30 owner *th-up*

richie_s999
09-21-2011, 02:48 PM

Oh I think I was emailed by the ultimate cheap e30 owner, guy offered me $350 for the 5 speed swap, and he wants me to install it for that price too!

I thought of saying yes just to meet him and film asking him what kinda idiot he is!

E30M42cab
09-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Don't ya just miss the feeling of knowing that you car will break down at any minute, and you'll know exactly why? Sort of like driving an e36, but older.

lost
09-21-2011, 03:44 PM
This would be fun, if I was local I'd sign up.

DIY
09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
This kills me. I'd love to do an auto-x event before the end of the season, but my car is no where near ready for it.

You have until Oct 15th :D that's loads of time*th-up*

karmatose
09-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Actually, you're right. I should get the motor in my car next weekend and have a week to shake it down provided everything goes smooth.

defaultName
09-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Straps are pretty cheap, just a pain to install.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList.cfm?BMW/1991/318is/Base/1.8L_L4/allB/Exhaust/Clamps/Exhaust_Muffler_Clamp/pagenum1/tabS

Ha! You know you drive an E30 when a $15 part is still too damn expensive!

"What! $15!?!?! Good lord that's a lot of money! Say hello to my good friend Mr. Zip Tie!"

karmatose
09-21-2011, 09:59 PM
"What! $15!?!?! Good lord that's a lot of money! Say hello to my good friend Mr. Zip Tie!"

Zip ties, dzus fasteners and 200mph tape are a racers best friend.

craz azn
09-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Fack, I kinda want another E30 again, just for this AutoX stuffs... sigh.

E30M42cab
09-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Remember when you had one, and you said if you ever sold it, you'd regret it... and then you sold it... and then regretted it. Nah, keep your goal in line here... you want a fast car for tracking so that you can race and be an instructor. When is the 323 getting plated?

craz azn
09-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Remember when you had one, and you said if you ever sold it, you'd regret it... and then you sold it... and then regretted it. Nah, keep your goal in line here... you want a fast car for tracking so that you can race and be an instructor. When is the 323 getting plated?

I should have already had it plated and insured, but the past two weeks have been 2002 nonstop! I will focus on that next week so I can at least get around. I've already started looking into swaps and suspension just to get some character into it, because right now it is the total opposite of the e30... No soul at all. :huh?:

Ugh, what did I do lol.

MaxBell
09-22-2011, 07:30 AM

What's that in your sig? Do you not have this car? ARE YOU AN IMPOSTER!?

richie_s999
09-22-2011, 07:37 AM
What's that in your sig? Do you not have this car? ARE YOU AN IMPOSTER!?

LOL. He sold his soul to the devil following his dream!

MaxBell
09-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Dream of what, pray tell...

T.Dot_E30
09-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Dream of what, pray tell...

Because race car.

E30M42cab
09-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Because e30 too slow.

craz azn
09-22-2011, 07:07 PM
LOL. He sold his soul to the devil following his dream!

Check.

Because race car.

Check.

Because e30 too slow.

Aaaannndd Check!

:D

L8 Apexr
09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
When is the event?.

Maybe I'll bring this(I've promised myself to keep the E30 on the street only)if I have the time.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/kevlarcorolla/tlmceventpic.jpg

Last event at the molson center in barrie,
http://youtu.be/HNpzN9iLb2E

richie_s999
09-22-2011, 08:17 PM
When is the event?.

Maybe I'll bring this(I've promised myself to keep the E30 on the street only)if I have the time.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/kevlarcorolla/tlmceventpic.jpg

Last event at the molson center in barrie,

this Sunday, Sept 25th at the Poweraide Center in Brampton, track walk at
10am, regestration opens at around 9am there is thread in the Trillium BMW section for the autocross

E30M42cab
09-23-2011, 06:21 PM
When is the event?.

Maybe I'll bring this(I've promised myself to keep the E30 on the street only)if I have the time. Last event at the molson center in barrie,

Um, do you have a go cart track in your back yard?*rockout*

L8 Apexr
09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Not my back yard but about 15 minutes away,owners a good guy and lets me use it as needed to test.Its been closed to the public for years,I organised a solo series there for 3 years.

EMPOWERD
09-24-2011, 08:49 AM

You don't need an E30 for "AutoX stuffs" Rudy... No regrets here and I'm going to make sure to make a podium-result tomorrow with my heavy "pig".

dble Trouble
09-24-2011, 09:29 AM
^^ Lol Randy at the heavy pig comment. You may have a slight (really slight) disadvantage at autocross with that car, but at Mosport GP, you're the one all the e30 guys are thinking wish I had an extra 150-200hp!!!

dble Trouble
09-24-2011, 09:30 AM
I know Scott started this thread just to hoar out one of his pics!!! LOL!

dble Trouble
09-24-2011, 09:32 AM
L8 apxr you MUST bring that animal out tomorrow! I'm sure we'd all love to see it in action. So you run with Twin Lakes? Did you used to have an Integra chopped up with no roof and so on about 10 years ago?

E30M42cab
09-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Not my back yard but about 15 minutes away,owners a good guy and lets me use it as needed to test.Its been closed to the public for years,I organised a solo series there for 3 years.

That's pretty awesome... the car and the track! Hope to see you tomorrow!

E30M42cab
09-24-2011, 10:52 AM
So, I'm about to overhaul all the ball joints on the vert... starting....

NOW!

Hope I have it ready for the morning!

L8 Apexr
09-24-2011, 11:11 AM
I was supposed to be running a tlmc event tommorrow but it was cancelled,wife quickly filled my weekend with stuff to do so not going to make it.
Nope I didn't have a chopped integra,I did run probably the worlds only full composite bodied,bike carb'd AND turbo'd AE86 corolla though.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/kevlarcorolla/DSC00382.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/kevlarcorolla/CopperCorollaProfessionalPic.jpg

nonlocal
09-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Why do you have to be so half-assed about everything?

E30M42cab
09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
haha, seriously!

L8 Apexr
09-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Sorry,guess I'm sick.

You see why I've refused to take my E30 to a autox,track day etc-it would start a huge snowball I can't afford to roll.I'm already dying to boost the M52 thats in it.

How's the autox go?

The last TLMC event is next sunday,would be good to see some fresh blood...err I mean nice bimmers attend.:)

dble Trouble
09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
^^LOL we had a GREAT event yesterday. We had some fresh participants out as your/their usual TLMC event was cancelled and they came to our event instead. We were busy but it went well. Some of the TLMC guys ended up on top of the leader board! Good show. They were surprised to see how big and fast our set up is and how long the runs were. I'm glad to hear we have a bigger show, not necessarily better, but bigger. You HAVE to come to our next event on the 15th of October Saturday.

L8 Apexr
09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Glad to hear it was a good event,not surprised twin lakers did well-we have some fast guys here.
I'll see what the weather and my time is like for the next event.

dble Trouble
09-29-2011, 11:02 PM
next event is on Saturday October 15th, 2011. Registration 9am, first car out of the gates at 10am. 7575 Kennedy rd. Brampton, the Powerade Centre.

L8 Apexr
09-29-2011, 11:32 PM
The weather this sunday is supposed to be sunny,last tlmc event at the molson center.I asked for a sweeper biased course design,I have the course map allready and it looks pretty good.
We run the CASC rules so every car regardless of mods has a fair class to play in.

It would be great to see some bimmers there.

DIY
09-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Its no fun if you know what the track looks like already :P

dble Trouble
09-30-2011, 12:01 AM
^^Valid point, one of the critical challenges of autocrossing is the being able to decipher the course more quickly than your competitors thus hopefully gaining an advantage more quickly.^^

On a not so happy note, I will not be able to attend on Sunday, I really wanted to but we're doing a fall garage sale and if i told my wife to do it alone because I'm going up to Barrie for an autocross, well lets just say, my right hand would be my best friend for a long time....... *thmbsdwn*

E30M42cab
09-30-2011, 12:20 PM
^^Valid point, one of the critical challenges of autocrossing is the being able to decipher the course more quickly than your competitors thus hopefully gaining an advantage more quickly.^^

No more chalk lines.

It's the only advantage some of us have to some extent. You layed out the perfect course to begin with. It's supposed to be somewhat confusing, but that's the point of the track walk, and why you get five runs to get it right. We never used to get chalk lines, I think it should stay that way, no matter how many DNF's in the first round.

L8 Apexr
09-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Everyone gets the exact same track map at registration and we've never done the same layout twice so how's it an advantage to see the basic layout in advance??.
Trust me when I say that after YEARS of autox'ing knowing where the course goes on paper means jack shit once you walk it and even less once you drive it.

Hope some can make it out, I usually have FTD by my 2nd run so you can come fight for 2nd.;)

L8 Apexr
10-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Weather was pretty crappy,only 2 dry runs before the cold rain started.Lucky for me my 1st run held onto event FTD by about 3 seconds.*rockout*

I need to pull the car apart this week to begin another project with some if its parts,maybe I'll see some of you lads next year.

dble Trouble
10-02-2011, 10:57 PM
You're taking it apart two weeks too early. Come to our last event with it on the 15th of October. I wanna see that thing go!!! Bring all of the TLMC guys with you tool. Lets make it a big end of year bash! If you come, and bring at least 6 others with you, I'll buy pizza lunch for everyone! How's that for pressure??? LOL. Hopefully you'll accept my offer.

L8 Apexr
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I'd love to accept the offer,thing is I have the Club awards banquet the night before-not likely going to be willing to get up at 4:30am to be on the road by 5 to make it to the hersey center on time.
Trust me it be worth the wait for me to bring it out next year,I picked up the turbo for at the event yesterday.Should be making 230+ hp with 950lbs,loads of downforce and fresh sticky tires.
Look forward to coming down for an event next season.

DIY
10-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Uuuugh I need money sooo bad.... :P

This forums bad for my wallet.... Jealous ^

L8 Apexr
10-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks but I built this car to save money,I spend less than 6k as it sits right now-pretty tough to go as fast for less.I don't foresee any production car matching my speed even with 10 times the money spent.

E30M42cab
10-03-2011, 11:03 PM
^^May the PAX be with you!

Can't wait to see this machine out next year!

L8 Apexr
10-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Don't mention the word PAX around me my friend,curse the day some tard thought that little gem up.

E30M42cab
10-05-2011, 01:06 AM
PAX is my friend, my friend*wave*

Many people curse me for using it to my advantage, but it works for me! HS class is where it's at!! Woooo:cool:

L8 Apexr
10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Pax blows for my mod car,on a 40 second course I need to outrun a well driven/set-up hs car by around 13 seconds.Do you have any idea how much faster that is,thats flat haulin' ass and very tough to pull off.
I'm all for challenges but thats a big one.

E30M42cab
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
I think the best example was me making up an 8 second difference just with PAX running a HS car. I'm almost certain that I can drive my HS car faster than my FS car in real time, so it's win/win for me with the HS car. You'll never find a 40 second course with our club, so 13 seconds on a 1:30 - 2:00 course is certainly doable for you.

10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I think the best example was me making up an 8 second difference just with PAX running a HS car. I'm almost certain that I can drive my HS car faster than my FS car in real time, so it's win/win for me with the HS car. You'll never find a 40 second course with our club, so 13 seconds on a 1:30 - 2:00 course is certainly doable for you.

*th-up*

L8 Apexr
10-05-2011, 08:14 PM

The time is relative,for an 80 second course I need to be 26 seconds faster-see the problem.

For example at the 2nd last event a well driven/prepped miata was the 2nd fastest car,I was 3 seconds faster and he happened to be #1 pax another 5 seconds clear of me.So that was 8 seconds I'd need to outrun him on pax on a 47 second course,tall order for a car with suspension and some other bits-its much worse with a stock class car.
How do you make a 1:30-2:00 course at the powerade center without being super slow tight hairpins everywhere?.

I was there this year for the ATTS solo event without wings,I had ftd with a run of just under 36 seconds.
Dot R's= no grip
http://youtu.be/r_opHgKNnfU

Much better with the hoosier slicks,it was the only run I made on them and I left a couple seconds out there.
http://youtu.be/8r8nhAWhCgs

E30M42cab
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Well, we do have tight technical sections, which is usually where these races are won and lost. Anyone can run long drawn out corners at high speed. It's the technical bits where braking and cornering momentum that leaves people behind, at least thats what I see from my experiece, which isn't that extensive. I've only ever run maybe 15 auto-x's in the last three years.

The course you're running in those two videos is so wide open! There's basically no technical sections at all. It's just tearing around a parking lot. I'd love to see the same course layout with the cones actually forming gates... that would be what we're more in tune with in our club. Figure 8's, lane change / bus stop gates, long straights with 90 degree turns at either end. That's how we make our runs longer. We're still getting up to 90kmh - 120kmh, but there's more to it than chucking the car around the course in second gear flat out.

That being said, I'd love to run a course like you just showed, where you just point and shoot with wreckless abandonment! Anyways, you'd probably enjoy our tighter courses without your aero. There's no miata's running with our club at the moment, but there is a E30 318i cabrio that will try to give you a hard time:)

E30M42cab
10-05-2011, 11:23 PM
This is at our old lot, but don't really have much else to show you that our courses are much tighter. Oh, and we have stop cones at the end!

This is probably only my second or third auto-x, so yes, I hit some cones... this is before I knew what I was doing, but you'll see what I mean about a tighter course:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/e30m42cab/th_MVI_2001.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/e30m42cab/?action=view&current=MVI_2001.mp4)

L8 Apexr
10-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Well, we do have tight technical sections, which is usually where these races are won and lost. Anyone can run long drawn out corners at high speed. It's the technical bits where braking and cornering momentum that leaves people behind, at least thats what I see from my experiece, which isn't that extensive. I've only ever run maybe 15 auto-x's in the last three years.

The course you're running in those two videos is so wide open! There's basically no technical sections at all. It's just tearing around a parking lot. I'd love to see the same course layout with the cones actually forming gates... that would be what we're more in tune with in our club. Figure 8's, lane change / bus stop gates, long straights with 90 degree turns at either end. That's how we make our runs longer. We're still getting up to 90kmh - 120kmh, but there's more to it than chucking the car around the course in second gear flat out.

That being said, I'd love to run a course like you just showed, where you just point and shoot with wreckless abandonment! Anyways, you'd probably enjoy our tighter courses without your aero. There's no miata's running with our club at the moment, but there is a E30 318i cabrio that will try to give you a hard time:)

Ha ha,thanks for the lesson.I've been autox'ing for 15 years,ontario class champ all 3 years I ran the series with no losses and a canadian national champ in a rented race car I'd never sat in.More event wins and FTD's than I can count.
The ATTS course was intended for the novice autox'ers that were targeted to run the event so yes it was far from technical,driving it at speed was far from just chucking the car around flat out in 2nd gear though.Sorry I make it look so easy.;)
Btw its just as much effort to keep a car at the limit in a sweeper as it is in a short radius turn.

That must be a hellava cabrio!,also since pax is based on more open course typical with the scca events pax gets skewed way towards the stock class on tight twisty courses.Simply not enough time to use a mod cars power/weight advantage and the slower speeds mean no areo.
As long as your courses don't look like the ones I've seen at PITL events I'll make the trip,simply not worth the fuel in the truck if they are.

E30M42cab
10-06-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm not giving you a lesson, I'm just saying that in our club, a lot of people are new to auto-x, so picking lines through tight sections isn't something that comes easy to everyone. The straights/fast corners are really no different for a lot of cars, but the tight sections are where the more experieced guy can make up time, even with slower cars. I'm just comparing the course you showed on your video to the course on my video. Completely different. Basically, If we layed out a course like the one at the TWMC that you posted, you would destroy most of our guys. On one of our courses, you could forget about the aero parts, but you'd probably be given a little bit more of a run for your money. It's really hard to tell anything from onboard camera's though. Anyways, we look forward to you running with us next year if you're interested.

Are any of us welcome to attend any Twin Lakes auto-x next year? That Molson Centre lot looks pretty sweet! I'd love to come put a car through its paces out there!

BTW, no, the cabrio is nothing special obvously, but for a 20 year old 4 cylinder with no roof, it does alright for itself! I'd rather be running my coupe, but she doesn't work quite right at the moment. (and yes, you do make it look easy, but I would expect that from a purpose built moster like that!, and with 15 years experience, I should hope it's easy for you at this point! haha)

L8 Apexr
10-06-2011, 07:38 PM
No worries,btw TLMC events are open to everyone regardless of car prep.They use the casc classing system so every car has a class based on mods/tires.I'm not sure what you guys use for classing,can I get in the stock class?,I mean mines stock as its exactly the way it left the factory(my garage).:D

I'm sure I'll be down next year,I'll leave the wings on regardless-they are huge and start working at pretty low speeds,mostly help guide the car at slow speeds to keep from spinning.

On board vids generally make things seem slower,this bugger is pretty quick.:) (a typical M3 will need a min of 500hp to match power to weight)