PDA

View Full Version : Please confirm my suspicions before I go buy parts

DIY
09-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Hi guys I was hopin you could help me out.

My steering wheel vibrates from 70-110 ish

I jacked up each side of my car today (separately) and shook each wheel. The passenger side seems to wobble weather it's side to side, or up and down, so I presume I need a new bearing, since I dont hear any clunking. I've read it would be from the ball joints.

Also as I was shaking them I didnt see any major play in the bushings, and I dont think their that old anyway.

Is there anything else I can do to confirm its the bearing? Its never made any noise which is throwing me off...

thanks for the help!

daveed
09-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Shaking steering wheel usually means front end stuff.

-Tie-rod ball joints (one at the each strut, one at the end of the rack where the inner tie rod screws in)
-control arm ball joints (there's 4 joints in total)
-control arm bushings (2 of em)

Should be pretty obvious if it's one of these things, jack it up and check for play (sounds like you've already done it and it sounds like one of these areas are suspect). Remember, you shouldn't be able to move your suspension. If you can move it yourself, imagine what the weight of the car will do to any moving parts while you're driving.

Could also be tires out of balance. This is the most common cause of vibration at high speed. Bad bearings will apparently be very noisy.

DIY
09-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention I've had the wheels balanced twice and alligned already so I can rule that out... I hope

And thanks for the info
Ill jack it up again tomorrow and hopefully notice somethin else

Roysneon
09-21-2011, 02:23 AM
Sounds like a wheel bearing from my experiences. Tie rod would be side to side play, ball joint up/down. Take the wheel and brakes off and grab the hub. See if it moves around.

Loose bearings are not always noisy, noisy bearings not always loose.

Eurostyle
09-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Ball joints or tie rods...99% of the times. Upper mounts and control arm bushings can do it. All of this is visible if you look at where the play comes from. (job better done with 2 people).

Roysneon
09-21-2011, 03:02 AM
But unless the tie rod end and the ball joint were gone, which is possible, then only a wheel bearing would cause play both ways.

Ceeker
09-21-2011, 07:41 AM
If you want to save money; remove the wheel and brakes and see if the wheel hub is loose. you`ll have to do the process of elimination and close inspection on all components..as mentioned it is best to have 2 people checking.

slemmer
09-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Tie rods went on my truck on the right side. lots of play left to right but I really didn't feel any wobble at the wheel, only a slight pull to the right and the steering wheel was more to the right than centered. Dont forget to do an alignment if you change the tie rods.

The Twin
09-21-2011, 09:08 AM
If you want to save money; remove the wheel and brakes and see if the wheel hub is loose. you`ll have to do the process of elimination and close inspection on all components..as mentioned it is best to have 2 people checking.

this.

also, just replaced my contral arms, tie rods, balljoints, M3 offset bushings...it's like a whole new car!

best $148 I ever spent!

check FCP Groton for parts...good prices and good quality*th-up*

E30M42cab
09-21-2011, 05:34 PM
I've gone through quite a few wheel bearings in my time, and I've never found them to cause a shake when worn out... and I've really worn some out!

Ball joints might not be the major problem, but more a combination of the tie rod ball joints (inner and outer) and the lollipops (LCABS). The LCABS are worthless pieces of crap even when they're new, unless you get a solid replacement (e30 M3).

DIY
09-21-2011, 10:05 PM
I never got a chance to look at it today as I'm just gettin home from school, but first thing in the mornin I will reply back

DIY
09-22-2011, 09:24 AM
So after further review and carefull consideration... I'm still not sure what's wrong... When I shake it at 9 and 3 it moves a bit but the tie rod moves with it, could it be the inner tie rod joint? although both sides do this while the opposite wheels on the ground... I've also seen the steering wheel move while I do this, maybe at the autocross this weekend some one'll take it for a spin and have some insight

DR.ZED
09-22-2011, 09:54 AM
New inner and outer tie rods.
New control arms with all new balljoints.
New control arm bushings.
New wheel bearings.
Steering wheel still shakes.

Have not: balanced new wheels and tires (were told they were fine on other car).
have not changed steering coupling.

Wheels have 5mm spacers.

T.Dot_E30
09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
New wheel bearings.

lol I had the same experience chasing the vibrations with my e30.
I got fed up and did what you did, all new front end parts. I even bought brand new wheels and tires.

Helped alot but, still was there slightly. It's the e30 plague.

DIY, you can't really tell what it is by driving it, 5 minutes on a hoist and a machanic can tell you right away.

So stop wasting your time and everyone else's and take it to a mechanic to look at it. Heck pay them to tell you what is wrong, then fix it yourself. You'll save money by not replacing random parts that aren't the cause.

DR.ZED
09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
T-dot... you're testy this morning. :)

T.Dot_E30
09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
T-dot... you're testy this morning. :)

Just speaking the truth....

DIY
09-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Lol he's also right

Ceeker
09-22-2011, 11:49 AM
New wheel bearings.

Have not: balanced new wheels and tires (were told they were fine on other car).
have not changed steering coupling.

Wheels have 5mm spacers.

have not changed steering rack!! :-)

E30M42cab
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
No mechanic.

Just wait longer.

Eventually whatever is sloppy will present itself in a more obvious way... like breaking at auto-x. Bingo, problem solved.