PDA

View Full Version : Just painted the front grilles and kidneys..

jasonbaek
09-17-2011, 12:01 AM
So when I first got it, it had a nasty greyish silver paint and chrome trim pieces on the bumper trims and front grille.

Today I removed grille parts and realized that there are much more chrome trims than I thought.. apperantly the whole vertical lines in kidney were carefully covered with chrome trims.. Anyways I cleaned them with a good wash and 220grit sandpaper, and painted them with dupli-color trim paint.

I'll also remove the front&rear bumpers to paint bumper trims..hopefully tomorrow or sunday.
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5269/cats12g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/cats12g.jpg/)

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4093/1231wddssd.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/199/1231wddssd.jpg/)

Woofer
09-17-2011, 12:25 AM
It's amazing how little things like this can make such an improvement. Great work. Paint the trim. You won't be disappointed. Makes the car look very fresh.

Oh yea and if you can take the rings off your head lights. Give those a spray too. Completes the look IMHO

jasonbaek
09-17-2011, 02:23 AM
omg I never realized that! are they screwed onto headlamp retainer? Then I guess I can just unscrew them and paint them black.
Thanks for the advice!

E36is
09-17-2011, 07:09 AM
imo, instead of using just duplicolor on the grills and kidney, i first use plasti-dip as a base then duplicolor to finish it up. this way, road debri and stones will not chip the paint. I have done the same on my front spoiler (white) and to this day no signs of paint chipping.

Woofer
09-17-2011, 10:40 AM
^^^ good idea. I did that to Everything except the lower valence and it's chipping. That stuff works really well.

As for the rings on the headlights, i think they are just clipped on. Just pry them off gently. Good luck.

MaxBell
09-17-2011, 11:11 AM
SWEET. How did you get the silver kidneys off the grill?

jasonbaek
09-17-2011, 02:41 PM
SWEET. How did you get the silver kidneys off the grill?

There are are 4 tabs on each kidney surrounding that slides onto the grill. you can take them off \by gently pulling them from the grill.

jasonbaek
09-17-2011, 02:47 PM
imo, instead of using just duplicolor on the grills and kidney, i first use plasti-dip as a base then duplicolor to finish it up. this way, road debri and stones will not chip the paint. I have done the same on my front spoiler (white) and to this day no signs of paint chipping.

I looked home depot and canadian tire to buy plasti-dip but couldn't find it.. that's why I only used dupli-color..I gave about 5 coats so it won't cheap easily but I'm sure that plasti-dip would be more durable in terms of chipping.

frankie591
09-17-2011, 10:38 PM
^^^ good idea. I did that to Everything except the lower valence and it's chipping. That stuff works really well.

As for the rings on the headlights, i think they are just clipped on. Just pry them off gently. Good luck.

3 philips screws hold the rings on the headlamps. dead easy to take off and look a hundred times better painted black.

Blackedout95
09-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Nice job

Ceeker
09-18-2011, 09:06 AM

Hey, where do you find the plasti dip?

Ceeker
09-18-2011, 09:08 AM
omg I never realized that! are they screwed onto headlamp retainer? Then I guess I can just unscrew them and paint them black.
Thanks for the advice!

those headlight rings are not screwed on. They simply snap into place. Only the sealed beam headlights have screw retainers to hold the lens/bulb in place.

jasonbaek
09-18-2011, 12:27 PM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3108/catseeq.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/231/catseeq.jpg/)

I also painted front&rear bumper trims yesterday. I took both bumpers out but I couldn't get trims out even from the behind..kinda afraid of breaking them. SO I just masked them and they turned out quite nice.

09-18-2011, 12:34 PM
I am very hopeful that you will post a response to "ceeker's" question on where to get
the "plasti-dip"??

Steve30
09-18-2011, 12:36 PM
i just bought a can of plasti-dip from home hardware. it was the last can though.

09-18-2011, 12:39 PM
i just bought a can of plasti-dip from home hardware. it was the last can though.

Thanx Steve, you're a gentlemen. Who makes the "stuff"??

09-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Duh...[i'm feeling a little stupid].....I guess a little bit of "googling" is the answer

http://www.plastidip.com/diy_where_to_buy.php

Ceeker
09-18-2011, 01:01 PM

Does that mean they no longer carry it and you got the last one or just out ot stock? thanks for letting me know. *th-up*

Ceeker
09-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Duh...[i'm feeling a little stupid].....I guess a little bit of "googling" is the answer

http://www.plastidip.com/diy_where_to_buy.php

that makes two of us....fcplm

Ceeker
09-18-2011, 01:05 PM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3108/catseeq.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/231/catseeq.jpg/)

I also painted front&rear bumper trims yesterday. I took both bumpers out but I couldn't get trims out even from the behind..kinda afraid of breaking them. SO I just masked them and they turned out quite nice.

Yeah that should work too, since you have a dark color but with white it makes it very tricky. Since you've removed your bumpers all you have to do is take the rebar off for the long trim. there are tabs visible that you press down on to release the trim from the bumper. if you left the rebar attached to the car you also have access to the back trim piece. trust me I know I've broken my share of trim tabs..lol

jasonbaek
09-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah that should work too, since you have a dark color but with white it makes it very tricky. Since you've removed your bumpers all you have to do is take the rebar off for the long trim. there are tabs visible that you press down on to release the trim from the bumper. if you left the rebar attached to the car you also have access to the back trim piece. trust me I know I've broken my share of trim tabs..lol

Yeah I was trying to remove white rebar but the hex nuts were way too tight to unbolt with regular socket wrench..so I removed one nut and then I was like screw this.. then masked the whole bumper lol.

BTW in order to achieve a perfect masking results when doing masking on a bright coloured bumper is that you need to clean imperfections (after you removed the masking) with #1500 and #2000 grit sandpapers, then polish those spots using #3000 and #6400 polishing compounds.

Ceeker
09-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah I was trying to remove white rebar but the hex nuts were way too tight to unbolt with regular socket wrench..so I removed one nut and then I was like screw this.. then masked the whole bumper lol.

BTW in order to achieve a perfect masking results when doing masking on a bright coloured bumper is that you need to clean imperfections (after you removed the masking) with #1500 and #2000 grit sandpapers, then polish those spots using #3000 and #6400 polishing compounds.

that is unnecessary; it takes more work to do that then to just take the rivets out of the rebar and remove the bumper shell. :-) once it's off it is easy to push the tabs through to take off the trim.

to do perfect masking you should get beneath the line of where you are painting over. That way when you remove the tape there won't be any overspray.

daveed
09-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Nice job dude! I knew it would look awesome! Car looks perfect now IMO, maybe just needs a tiny bit of low ;)

jasonbaek
09-19-2011, 12:22 AM
that is unnecessary; it takes more work to do that then to just take the rivets out of the rebar and remove the bumper shell. :-) once it's off it is easy to push the tabs through to take off the trim.

to do perfect masking you should get beneath the line of where you are painting over. That way when you remove the tape there won't be any overspray.

Yes. I'm particulary bad at anything involving force..just removing the rebar is much easier and simple job..I struggled even when pushing first 2 tabs fcplm

I'm so used to building scale models..never worked on my car before..and I have to say I'm going to quit building models. Working on 1:1 scale feels much better.

Nice job dude! I knew it would look awesome! Car looks perfect now IMO, maybe just needs a tiny bit of low ;)

I really wanna lower the front just about an inch..but well, before that I wanna get IS lip, independent fogs, heated cloth sport seats, mayyybe a/c from us 318i for next summer, list doesn't seem to end! lol

Woofer
09-19-2011, 11:19 AM
^^ lol u have an e30. The list will never end. GL

Ceeker
09-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Apparently like most chemical based products being sold; Canadian gov't is banning Plasti-dip from shelves at Lowe's due to chemical composition. It will only be a matter of time before it will not be available here anymore. as you know many chemically based products are being replaced by water born.

The Twin
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM
bah, nothing a quick trip to Lowes across the border won't fix ;-)

Ceeker
09-19-2011, 03:11 PM
there are other places too, but I didn't check.. napa, carquest..

xpress325
09-20-2011, 08:52 AM
plasti-dip can also be purchased at performace improvement on queensway.

Ceeker
09-20-2011, 09:37 AM
plasti-dip can also be purchased at performace improvement on queensway.

yeah, big brand co. have to take it off the shelves but smaller ones seem to still have it. So I was told by one employee at Lowes.

Steve30
09-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Home hardware at parkway mall has a steady supply of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lost
09-20-2011, 01:39 PM
*th-up*