PDA

View Full Version : Just added an e30 to my collection!

iverson03tj
09-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Ok so! i needed a winter car since im building my enigne in my e36, and i found a 325i i think, its a convertible, its auto:( and its got 280km comes with are hard top and brand new tires, its been repainted to matte black... no rust and underneath is pretty clean:P there isnt a soft top inside.... but i need a few things for the interior, like door cars and alot of stock trim pieces... the car hasnt been run for the last 3 years!!!! what kinda changes should i do! i know i should do a tune up for sure!

The front bottom half of the bumper is missing and one of the stock projectors housings need to be replaced....

the gear selector is broken :S unno how but its the first time i ever seen it snap:P

it starts fine but one spark plug wire does need to be replaces... any one know if i have to buy the whole spark plug wire from the stealership????

Next issue is that the clutch fan just started to rub against my rad hose!!!! :mad:

Can i do a FDM on it :P

The Engine is ticking pretty loud...... im going to put some locus oil addictive and see if it runs a bit better.... keep in mind it hasnt been run for 3 years....

So what do u guys think... i mean there probably will be a few more problems latter but right now its pretty.

everlast
09-12-2011, 10:22 AM
I think you need to:

change the timing belt / water pump
change the oil
change the coolant
adjust the valves
flush the brake fluid
check all other fluid levels (trans, diff)
examine engine mount bushings (fan rubbing rad hose = engine mounts)
don't add lucas additive
fix all broken things
post pics

The first four things aren't things you can skip. You must do them before driving the car.

InfiniteDice
09-12-2011, 10:31 AM
If you know one wire is shot you can replace the one wire. I kept the longest good wire from another car and have it in my long distance travel kit.

if you're doing the belt you'll want to do the tensioner as well.

everlast
09-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks, forgot the tensioner in the list.

I got aftermarket wires (Kingston brand) from ebay, Canadian seller a few years ago and was very happy, but you can usually find a wire from someone with an incomplete set if you ask around.

Ceeker
09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
I agree, do the timing belt/tensioner/waterpump combo. then tune up which would include changing the valve cover gasket and adjusting the rockers..noisy means you need to adjust them. Don't be to alarmed if you gotta spend a grand on it up front. if it's a winter beater; don't get carried away..lol

DR.ZED
09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
examine engine mount bushings (fan rubbing rad hose = engine mounts)

LOL...man alive, I went through a coolant hose at mosport before checking that.

:)

iverson03tj
09-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Damn... i was hoping this is will just a cheap winter beater since i dont want to take my e36 out.... hmmm i think the waterpump is good, the coolant is clean. i know i need an oil change and a vavle adjustment asap.... the engine mounts going to take so much of my time.. and its got like 280,000km on it i was thinking maybe lucas would help... jsut 10% of the bottle mixed in with 10 w 30.....

iverson03tj
09-14-2011, 09:24 PM
500 to get it licenced, etested..... and like 800 for parts..... mine as well drive the e36 and just take the supercharger out :(.... hmmm this is a tough decision

everlast
09-15-2011, 01:47 PM
It sounds like you haven't done the etest yet.. I'd start with that. If you can't get it to pass etest then you're ****ed anyway.

Then, bare minimum (cheap beater method) = change the timing belt and tensioner, adjust valves (reuse the gasket, use RTV if it tears), change the oil. Engine mounts are very cheap and easy to change. Perhaps replace that hose if its chewed up.

You really do have to change the timing belt. If its old, and especially if it's sat unused, you run a high risk of it snapping and then you have 0.

Even at $1300.. what would you expect to pay to get a road worthy car?

Mystikal
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
hmmm i think the waterpump is good, the coolant is clean.

&%$#ing awesome.

everlast
09-15-2011, 02:17 PM
hmmm i think the waterpump is good, the coolant is clean.

Unless this is some inside joke.. you can't "tell" if your waterpump needs replacing by the cleanliness of coolant. You can't tell it needs replacing by any means other than:

a. it's broken
b. it's due to be change, which on the m20 is always done when you do the timing belt

If the water pump goes, you'll have to redo the timing belt to do the water pump because the pump and tensioner share a bolt.

InfiniteDice
09-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Everlast is right about coolant condition.

Rotate the water pump by hand when it's all apart, should rotate nice. Shouldn't have bearing play, flat spots, or excessive noise.

Usually it's just the gasket that has failed.

I have changed the water pump without the belt. The tensioner spring just adjusts the pre-load on the belt before tightening, once tightened it shouldn't move so it shouldn't need the spring until the next time the belt is replaced. But yes proper procedure dictates keeping the spring/pin in there.

everlast
09-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Personally if the water pump didn't have too many miles, I would skip it, but I wouldn't skip the timing belt.

iverson03tj
09-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Unless this is some inside joke.. you can't "tell" if your waterpump needs replacing by the cleanliness of coolant. You can't tell it needs replacing by any means other than:

a. it's broken
b. it's due to be change, which on the m20 is always done when you do the timing belt

If the water pump goes, you'll have to redo the timing belt to do the water pump because the pump and tensioner share a bolt.

lol sorry i ment that the water pump was changed by th PO and the cooling system looks fine, the rads 2 years old and havent been used much, he starts the car every week or so.... and the coolant must have been flushed cuz its clean.

everlast
09-15-2011, 04:53 PM
keep in mind it hasnt been run for 3 years

he starts the car every week or so

Make up your mind.

In any case, a water pump failure is just a break down. The timing belt is what you should be discussing. It's failure = end of the motor.

iverson03tj
09-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Make up your mind.

In any case, a water pump failure is just a break down. The timing belt is what you should be discussing. It's failure = end of the motor.

there both true lol its been sitting int he same place but it been started alot. And its between this or a 2001 audi a4... hmm its soo hard:P but thank youf or the tips guy, i will most likey check the condition of the motor mount replace it and then do and oil change and vavle adjustment then i'll see how it runs... i really onyl need it for winter, The reason i dont want to repair it is that im going to just sell it anyways, the hard top and shell is in great condition anyways... btw its also a good time to tell u guys its matte black.... if anyone is interested in the hard top let me know!

everlast
09-15-2011, 05:24 PM
*smacks head* dude.. how many times are you going to ignore:

- CHANGE THE TIMING BELT -

It's like $50 for the kit. Whatever, do what you want.

iverson03tj
09-15-2011, 11:29 PM
*smacks head* dude.. how many times are you going to ignore:

- CHANGE THE TIMING BELT -

It's like $50 for the kit. Whatever, do what you want.

50 bucks oh ok :P i thought it was one of those outrageous BMW prices:P*no-no*

everlast
09-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Autopartsway.ca have it for $50 and most of us have done it a few times over. It's really easy work. We can all help you along, and make sure to download the bentley and Haynes for more help.

*th-up*

iverson03tj
09-15-2011, 11:41 PM
alright thanks man! u put a smile on my face
:d

iverson03tj
09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Alright So i couldnt choose between the two cars so i bought both:P the 01 audi b5 and the e30 :P I was hard to turn down the Audi cuz it was in great condition, and it was way to hard to turn down the e30 because its not rusted and i got a spare m52 engine that i might try and put into it latter down the road, first thing im really hopin for is that its an lsd:P

Ok so i changed the spark plug wire, only needed one, then i fixed the steering wheel, and im still looking for that one drivers side headlight.... i found one for 80 bucks but its like a 2 hour drive:(.... i ordered the engine mounts and the timing belt... and downloaded 3 different e30 manuals:P so i wil be tackling that when they arrive... i got the vavle cover off, and i will slowly adjust the valves... keep in mind this is the very first time i ever adusted valves.. i think the hardest part for me is going to be putting each cylinder in TDC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_wwLNwPIQ
This video really helped me out, i will take a few pics of th e30, but i must warn u guys.. it aint so pretty in matte black primer:P