PDA

View Full Version : itb m42 build....

BMe30
08-23-2011, 08:42 PM
hey all..
as some of you already know i have been thinking about this for a while... did some great research and found a fellow m42 guy who did this... but he didnt use the plenum (glassed his own) then pipe to afm
parts...
1984 bmw k100rs itb (same tps as m42)
1984 bmw k100rs plenum

here are some pics so far....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0858.jpg

sawsall vs upper intake manifold

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0859.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0860.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0861.jpg

so from here.. going to round and knife edge upper intake to take silicone tube to itb.

tomorrow plan is to pick up vaccuum lines, silicone tube / clamps, etc....

if all goes well.. will install tomorrow night.

only flaw to this... itb 36mm id intake manifold 38mm id.

total cost so far... $130 *rockout*

craz azn
08-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Definitely watching and waiting for the final result! In for cool vroom vroom noises :D

simplycars
08-23-2011, 11:11 PM
great project !
keep up the good work !

BMe30
08-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Little update... Rounded out the intake manifold... Cleaned up the opening as best i could. Noticed that i might have a clearence issue with the plenum. But wont know till i start trying to install.... There are a few other things that i noticed that might give me a little trouble. But really right now im going to do a hack job install to see if it works.... If so going to do a redesign and itb locations.

nonlocal
08-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Subscribed!

Woofer
08-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Sweet work man!!!! More pics!!!!!

E30M42cab
08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Are you going with larger injectors too?

I actually have a million and a half questions, but I'll just watch and learn. Sorry I can't make it by this week to help out (steal ideas). Vacation planning is making me busier than I expected.

BMe30
08-24-2011, 08:51 PM
ok sorry not much to update tonight.... but...

went to napa for vac lines and T connectors... then JRP for silicone tube. (+ $100 to total cost)
got home and im beat.. crazy day at work today... but i still managed to do install the vac lines and 1.5" tube to the itb... here is a pic.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0863.jpg

the log vac line will lead to the FPR. the vac line to the far left will go to the ICV. the brack booster line will still attach to the lower intake manifold. there is another vac line i need to address... but ill worry about that when i get there lol.

Scott... i thought the same about needing bigger injectors... But after a great Chat with Rocco (RMP) the stock injectors will be fine until there is any forced induction. However.. over the winter when i do a better fabrication for this project i will upgrade to the mustang injectors.. those who dont know... they are bosch exact same in every way as the m42 bosch injectors except instead of the fuel coming out of 1 pin hole it comes out of 4 per injector = better mix, better burn.

there is just a few more things i need to buy before the install... i hope to get everything the next 2 days and have it ready for saturday night.*rockout*

E30M42cab
08-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Are you signing up for the Trillium ADS in September? Give that car a real run for your money?

BMe30
08-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Are you signing up for the Trillium ADS in September? Give that car a real run for your money?

dont have the tires for it :P

DIY
08-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Is it even necessary to have the IcV still? With ITB's shouldn't it be able to idle pretty well on its own? If each cylindar is getting a measured amount of air now that they all have a valve....

And ITB's rock! I want to hear this beast!

dont have the tires for it :P

But september is practically winter, you could burn your tires out at the ADS and throw on your winters after, then you got all summer to reaserch some sweet new ones!

All it takes is the right provocation :P
Thers always a way around needing E30 parts and having no money... It rhymes with Pisa...:P
I'm so broke*sad*

craz azn
08-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Is it even necessary to have the IcV still? With ITB's shouldn't it be able to idle pretty well on its own? If each cylindar is getting a measured amount of air now that they all have a valve....

And ITB's rock! I want to hear this beast!

To have the itb open that much just to idle will take away from off idle/part throttle performance... ie. it will be very hard to make it work smoothly. Also, since he is sticking with the stock engine computer for now, you can't really delete it properly(or map it different to take account of that). Plus, why would you, even stock BMWs with itbs have an idle valve.

BMe30
08-25-2011, 04:53 PM
funny thing about my ICV.... it has been unplugged for at least 5 months LMAO

my idle has been around 800-1000rpm since... but didn't notice any significant differences through accel.. and the idle is fine.

why did i unplug it? ICV was making my car either stall or rev from 800rpm to 2krpm at idle...

regarding the itb setup.. i was thinking about removing it as well not like its working anyway lol

will have some pic posted later from tonight work... wont be much.. have dentist apt.

BMe30
08-25-2011, 06:16 PM
here's where im at so far.... i know i know its kinda ghetto... but like i said... just going to get it working.. then the real fab will happen.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0864.jpg

plumbing dept ftw LOL

BMe30
08-26-2011, 06:20 PM
the good... hooked up the itb's.. all vac lines... turn the key... she runs! was manually pushing the afm flap with my hand as the other was opening the itb's it was awesome!

the bad... there is no clearance for the stock plenum..

the ugly... because i just cant be bothered to wait i have another plenum idea... it will work.. pics to follow.

when the car is off the road this winter there will be a complete redesign and proper aluminum welds n stuff... and full stand alone.

craz azn
08-26-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm eager to hear about how the driveability will be, and what you lost or gained in terms of power and torque with the setup. Megasquirt this winter and pitch that AFM :)

Ceeker
08-26-2011, 09:46 PM
the good... hooked up the itb's.. all vac lines... turn the key... she runs! was manually pushing the afm flap with my hand as the other was opening the itb's it was awesome!

the bad... there is no clearance for the stock plenum..

the ugly... because i just cant be bothered to wait i have another plenum idea... it will work.. pics to follow.

when the car is off the road this winter there will be a complete redesign and proper aluminum welds n stuff... and full stand alone.

takes guts to do that and some very creative thinking..cudos!! I like it. even if you think it's a bit ghetto. black clamps would definitely hide that look. it's a great starter idea and I'm sure with a bit more planning and plumbing LOL you could get it to work and look rad. I'm sure you could source some silicon shorties in the shape you have those elbows in?

BMe30
08-26-2011, 11:53 PM
well.. it was a long night... but still not done... good progress..

many clearance issuses.. but all are kinda taken care of for the moment.

note that half silicone on the itb... that was something else i was going to try but didnt work out... i need to head to JRP tomorrow and pick up another silicone tube.

you can see from the pics that i made an ABS plenum... helll why stop with plumbing lol i should be a plumber instead of a carpenter :P

so put everything together tried to patch that short runner... started her up.. but sounds like she's missfiring.. pretty rough idle.. its still not %100 hooked up so im going to assume vac leak for now... saturday will go through everything and try to solve the idle issue and vac leaks.

enjoy the pics

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0866.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0869.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0868.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0870.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/modfire/bmw/DSCF0875.jpg

craz azn
08-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Quite envious of your speedy progress! I wish I could say the same for my 2002 lol.

BMe30
08-27-2011, 09:13 AM
is it possible to have too much vacuum to the FPR? im wondering if the vac log design is producing too much vacuum to the FPR.

started her up this morn just to see where shes at... sputtering/idle 2krpm puffing blueish out the back... too rich?

BMe30
08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
quick update.... the ICV needs to be there. even though its not working properly it still keeps the revs low. working on vac leaks now.... looks like tonight ill have a test drive :)

BMe30
08-27-2011, 08:44 PM
ok so here's the deal

no more leaks that i can tell...

got it to idle around 900ishRPM

accel (standing) good.. deccel thats where im having major issues.

after accel she wont hold a steady idle anymore and stall out.. also did drive it and found that when i go WOT she bogs and takes time to pick up (too much air/fuel?) and again off throttle bogs right out.

icv is not plugged in... its not working properly and when i did plug it in same results... remember that i drove the car 5months like that and the car ran fine

any ideas?

craz azn
08-28-2011, 12:06 AM
I dunno... prolly talking out of my ass at this point since I have no experience with anything like this... but is your fuel pressure okay? Maybe something with the vacuum is making the regulator go wonky...

BMe30
08-28-2011, 12:28 AM
I tried messing with the vac line config to the fpr... Same results... So i looked again the other guy who did it on the bimmerfest site to see what issues he had... Looked like it was tps adjustment... Im going to try that tomorrow after i get back from baptising my nephew and post up results.

BMe30
08-28-2011, 09:57 AM
ok so i couldnt wait till after so i got up a few hrs ago and tested out the TPS.. the k100 tps works fine... but one problem.. voltage was showing WOT at tb idle... and tb WOT voltage showed idle... so perfect just flip the tps... yeah no. the internals of the k100 tps will not allow it to flip.

so i took off my tps from the m42 tb. quick hook up and test.... voltage is in the correct range.... one little problem though... the m42 tps is quite smaller than the k100.. i made an adaptor plate out of some aluminum i had laying around.. drilled out all the holes needed and did a test fit. perfect fit... but i need to do a run to cdn tire to get some nuts n washers... hope i'll have time for that after the baptism! if not.. looks like i'll have to finish her monday night.

so close... yet so far!

njansenv
08-28-2011, 02:48 PM
You can reverse the wiring to the k100 TPS to get the results you need....

BMe30
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM
You can reverse the wiring to the k100 TPS to get the results you need....

great idea.. and i gave it a shot... yes it was right.. however i wasnt getting a smooth transition of voltage from idle to wot. i tried the m42 tps with my adaptor and i was getting a smooth transition...

now i wasnt able to get the stuff i needed from cdn tire.. so i hooked up the tps half fast and gave it a shot for a drive.. throttle response is awesome.. noticed a better mid... but find the top end lacking. (could be a fine tune of the tps) noticed my exhaust louder for some reason... also still a rough idle and still a drop out to stall from high rpm... want to try another working ICV.

so yeah... thats where im at... i'll post up after i fine tune everything and replace the ICV... give me a few days...

nonlocal
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
This thread makes me excited in many ways. Some in the pants.

Makes me want an m42 again too :)

I might have an ICV for you. If so, its in Streetsville and I'm in Flin Flon so digging it up might be, uh, challenging.

BMe30
08-29-2011, 07:56 PM
well heres some news....
got the tps mounted correctly.. did some adjustments... car ran better... it pulls great from 1000rpm to about 4k rpm... after that it feels like theres something lacking. im going to try a few other things to make sure that there are no leaks. and hope to resolve the ICV.. Nonlocal ill let you know if i'll need it in a few days ot so. thanks for the offer.

one thing im going to check is the volt readings from the stock tb tps position and try to match up the same voltage. im tired now and a little frustrated.. so ill try that all tomorrow.

i'm also wondering if all those 45deg corners are making the air more turbulant as it passes through... its not a smooth surface on the inside of that.. i wonder how much of that is an issue as well.

BMe30
08-30-2011, 06:12 PM
it was a vac leak... all fixed! holds idle.. pulls much better! still a little lacking just past 4k rpm.. but i think thats a tps adjustment... all in all im glad its running smooth :) ill post some final pics later :)

voluted
10-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Where are final pics?!

BMW BMXer
10-22-2011, 08:03 PM
This is pretty cool, good work

BMe30
10-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Where are final pics?!

sorry that i didnt get around to taking the final pics.. also i went back to the stock set up fo now. i got tired of no top end power when i needed it.

now i did notice from itb to stock how much mid range power i really did gain from the itb's. over the winter months im going to pick up another set of itbs... the k1200rs that are 6-8mm larger than the k100 itbs and get them set up properly without the home depot abs special lol.

looking to get a nice top end cam and i think ill go 11:1 pistons. all that with full standalone should be a nice little mini s42 *rockout*

imo.. if you just want to put itbs on your m42/m20 and not build any internals... these itbs are cheap on ebay.. you will need tuning tho... either get a custom tune via markD or try your luck with the Miller war chip. Cheap.. sounds great and good gains if you want to go n/a.

i will post new progress.. but it may be far and few in between... but it will be done!*rockout*

E30M42cab
10-23-2011, 03:17 AM
I wonder. I saw a random pile of Alfa Romeo velocity stacks at a place in Cambridge over the summer. Kinda kept it in the back of my head for potential ITB projects. Maybe I should look at picking them up if they're still there.

E30M42cab
10-23-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm just going to put these here. Just look at them.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/e30m42cab/6233262194_a57cd9ab91_b.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/e30m42cab/6232741343_93a808eeda_b.jpg

BMe30
10-23-2011, 10:27 AM
*rockout*

Those are sweet! Alpina made for alfa? Or is that for a bmw s14?

If you go with exposed stacks you have to go full standalone.

E30M42cab
10-23-2011, 11:58 PM
oh, no, I don't have a picture of the Alfa stacks, but they're similar, and aluminum. Those must be S14 (or M10?) in the pic. Just thought you'd like that.

craz azn
10-24-2011, 01:01 AM
^ Yup, for M10. Worth a pretty penny too.

BMe30
10-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Yeah man tight!

You know i think ill just go with the cam and leave the compression stock.... Who knows what may happen after that.

I have to say i really cant wait till its all done and tuned up... Ill have some nice open stacks like that for the track.. And for street a cone for each tb.