PDA

View Full Version : AC question

Woofer
08-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Hey guys,

I find that I am using way too much gas when using the A/C. There seems to be a noticeable load on the motor as well. Once the A/C is on the car feels very sluggish. I believe there might be too much free on in the system causing the compressor to work harder than it needs too.

My condenser aux fan works but will not engage when I turn the a/c on. A friend had mentioned that the aux fan needs to work so the compressor doesn't have to work as hard. Can anyone chime in? I never got around to fixing the aux fan because the car seem to never over heat. My dads ford cube truck has no aux fan and the a/c works just fine.

With no a/c I can average about 350 almost 400kms. With a/c I can bearly get to 300. Keep in mind the car has a m20 2.5L in an eta which has a smaller tank. 45-50 liters I believe.

What sort of kms are you guys averaging?

Thanks

dble Trouble
08-12-2011, 07:18 PM
^^Holy crap that's horrible fuel mileage. I've only ever heard of two sizes of tank for the e30 55 litres and 60 litres. My M20 goes at least 600km per tank usually more like 650 to 700km per tank. Which is 8 to 8.5 litres for every hundred km.

In regards to the a/c, I think you're right, too much pressure can cause that situation. I had too much freon and the compressor and it was acting funny. Lowered the pressure and acting fine now.