PDA

View Full Version : Gathering interest in a 1 Piece Driveshaft for the E30

Denny
08-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi

Like the title says Im gathering interest in those that would want a 1 piece driveshaft for their E30. I found a place that will build me one for mine (M20B25 engine) since mine will be the guineepig it could benefit other in some sort of group buy that could be put together.

So please list your name if you are interested. right now its just people interested more info will come...

1.Denny Medeiros

etc...

Ceeker
08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Question: reason for going with the one piece?

Denny
08-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Question: reason for going with the one piece?

Here is a few BIG reasons

1) Strength of 1 piece design (especially with forced induction)
2) no more center bearings and bmw hardware that is not serviceable less things to fail
3) 1 time balance (at time of build) so no more expensive balancing
4) ease of removal and install

and I found the right guy to do it *th-up*

E30M42cab
08-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Will there still be a U-joint on the shaft at both ends, or just a solid shaft end to end? Cause it better have at least one U joint.

Denny
08-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Will there still be a U-joint on the shaft at both ends, or just a solid shaft end to end? Cause it better have at least one U joint.

Not sure on the technical aspect of the construction. The construction will be based on strength, ease of install and removal and without using expensive rare to find parts.

El Gato Liso
08-12-2011, 01:14 AM
i kinda like the fact that i can seperate my drive shaft on command. and when it comes to fitment being able to adjust the length of the shaft is a woowoo win

E30M42cab
08-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Not sure on the technical aspect of the construction. The construction will be based on strength, ease of install and removal and without using expensive rare to find parts.

Well, if it doesn't have at least one u-joint, you better be prepared for the guibo to tear up pretty quickly, as it will be the only thing compensating for and difference in the tranny angle and input at the diff. Better research this or you'll cause more problems than you solve. If you're not concerned on how it's built, I'd be happy to build you anything you ask for. Also, what price were you quoted for a single unit?

E30M42cab
08-12-2011, 01:57 AM
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-driveshafts/bmw-e30-1986-92-1-piece-chromoly-driveshaft

Unless you're swapping some huge engine in and drag racing, you don't need this. How often do you ever have to replace the centre bearing and guibo if your car is just a DD? If you've done it once, you probably won't have to do it again, so why spend money on a driveshaft of all things? For your Turbo you say? How many turbo guys already run them?

Eurostyle
08-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Better research this or you'll cause more problems than you solve.

+1! I've seen some cars snap the end of the transmission with the 1 piece design...NO enaugh flex at all...So many high HP BMW's this type, nothing wrong with it! *th-up*

Ceeker
08-12-2011, 08:53 AM
This is the reason why I asked....BMW designed this shaft for a reason in this way. why try to re-engineer?

InfiniteDice
08-12-2011, 09:11 AM
The only thing about the Stock shaft is you can't service the joints easily. If that mod could be made then I'd be interested.

DR.ZED
08-13-2011, 09:35 AM
I know that the two piece design actually moves in and out in the middle where it connects to take up the movement of the rear subframe. Essentially the driveshaft changes length ever so slightly.

In a single piece driveshaft the forward section slides on the input shaft of the transmission and a "transmission output shaft seal" holds the oil in while this happens.

If we do a one piece design what is going to take up the slack? I see the rubber guibo pulling apart, defeating completely the reliability especially if you're putting more torque to it.

How has this been addressed?

simplycars
08-13-2011, 12:29 PM
one piece driveshaft is easier to manufacture so company like BMW would be using it for a long time to lower production costs. i wouldn't even consider it.

Ceeker
08-13-2011, 12:56 PM
The only thing about the Stock shaft is you can't service the joints easily. If that mod could be made then I'd be interested.

I like the fact that domestic manufacturers didn't put grease nipples in the factory u-joints but one can easily replace those with joints that one can grease. there should be ones available for bmw's as well no?

DIY
08-13-2011, 10:37 PM
I love the idea of making things better but, in all honestly after changing my gas tank and goin through the whole system this is the last thing I would try and redesign,....

Have you..

Reinforced the frame?
Installed them DTM replica suspension arms?
Upped engine power
Run slick tires?
Remapped the engine with electronic ignition?

Too many other places Žo spend money

Sorry bro

Denny
08-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I love the idea of making things better but, in all honestly after changing my gas tank and goin through the whole system this is the last thing I would try and redesign,....

Have you..

Reinforced the frame?
Upped engine power
Run slick tires?

Sorry bro

Funny thing about this thread is I made it to gauge interest and not get everybody opinions on why not to do it.

You have obviously not seen my restoration thread where I have restore my E30 from ground up. Now a lot of you think I have not done my research on this possibility before but I have.... don't tell me what I should be doing or spending my money on.

After all the work I have done and the experience I have acquired I am by no way some newbie who doesn't know what his doing.... I really dont have the time to waste like this justifying sh*t...

Mods please delete this thread asap.

DR.ZED
08-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Denny I think you've misinterpreted the posts.

I guess those who would be interested also want to know the design features of the driveshaft before committing. Obviously you have thought a lot about it and maybe some want to know whats in your mind before pulling the trigger.

I for one am interested, but I need to know some more specifics as I outlined in the earlier post. Fabbing up the DS is one thing, but do I get rid of my output shaft adapter? Rubber guibo etc...

I wouldn't be overly defensive about this, obviously some have questions (me included) and are curious about this.

E30M42cab
08-15-2011, 12:57 AM
For a guy who knows what he's doing restoring an e30 from the ground up, you should at least have an idea of how the e30 driveline works, and why it's built the way it it... which means you should probably point out the pro's of having a one piece shaft from a technical standpoint. Nobody is interested because you never made an argument for it or really made any effort at all. You want to help out your buddy by getting him to make a bunch of pieces for us, but you won't take the time to say, "hey, this is better, and here's why you should do it too"...

Give me a break.

dannyb
08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
i believe the design was to have a corvette front u-joint, no more guibo and the shaft would slide into the tranny. I think you would still need a rear u-joint, but if both of these are servicable then that might be an advantage.

DR.ZED
08-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Can I have an approx cost? I'd like to budget some things in this winter, this may make the list.

Bullet Ride
08-15-2011, 11:56 AM
If we do a one piece design what is going to take up the slack? I see the rubber guibo pulling apart, defeating completely the reliability especially if you're putting more torque to it.

How has this been addressed?

Double U-Joint a.k.a. CV joint

Have you..

Reinforced the frame?
Upped engine power
Run slick tires?

Sorry bro

If you'd seen his other threads you'd know that he's building a boosted M20. Even though there are E30's out there that are pumping high hp through the stock drivetrain. The stock driveshaft is unservicable, so instead of replacing it with the same thing, why not replace it with something you can service yourself?

dannyb
08-15-2011, 12:04 PM
I think the price was around 450-500$ but Denny would know best, hes the one with the contact.

HavocSteve
08-15-2011, 02:46 PM
For a guy who knows what he's doing restoring an e30 from the ground up, you should at least have an idea of how the e30 driveline works, and why it's built the way it it... which means you should probably point out the pro's of having a one piece shaft from a technical standpoint. Nobody is interested because you never made an argument for it or really made any effort at all. You want to help out your buddy by getting him to make a bunch of pieces for us, but you won't take the time to say, "hey, this is better, and here's why you should do it too"...

Give me a break.

Why make an argument if you guys aren't interested. There is no "buddy" for making this driveshaft. It's just a guy who has done some amazing work for his restoration and he believes in his work and was wondering if anyone else would like to share in the 1-piece driveshaft. If you don't want it. DON'T POST! simple as that. Your comment makes maXbimmer look incompetent sometimes because it's either you like the idea or you dose it in flames.:moon:

Denny. I wouldn't bother with some people, you know what works and doesn't and this idea would be amazing. If you needed any work done under neath, it's a simple easy job to drop the 1 driveshaft instead of fouling around with a 2 piece driveshaft.