PDA

View Full Version : 7 Series 1984 BMW 733i with Hartage Parts

ProStreetDriver
08-07-2011, 11:43 PM
1984 BMW 733i, auto, all power windows, power locks, power sunroof, power seats, heated front seats, power mirrors, leather, 2 tone interior (brown with top half black), a/c, on board computer, cruise (doesn't work), cassette, 280,000km. I am the third owner of the car, the previous owner bought the car in 1989. I have all the maintenance receipts that go back to 1989 and owner's manuals. Car was oil sprayed yearly, absolutely no rust at all, never winter driven, all original, clear coat is worn on the roof and trunk. There is some cracks in the driver's seat and on the top part of the dash. It also has the original BMW sunroof deflector which I believe is lexan.

Car did come from the dealership new with the rims, "M7" badge, Hartge valve cover and strut brace. The rims are Centra style 7 staggered 16x7 in the front and 16x8 in the rear. I'm not sure exactly what else is done to the car because the information is very limited on it. The car drives amazing and is in excellent shape for the year.

The car should need next to nothing for safety. The tires are almost brand new and there is a slight exhaust leak.

Price: $5000
Call: (519)243-1113

Will not part out anything either.

Decoded VIN:

Type code FF84
Type 733 I (USA)
Dev. series E23 ()
Line 7
Body type LIM
Steering LL
Door count 4
Engine M30
Cubical capacity 3.20
Power 0
Transmision HECK / rear
Gearbox AUTOMATIC
Colour BRONZITBEIGE METALLIC (139)
Upholstery NUTRIA LEDER (0157)
Prod. date 1984-07-05
Order options
No. Description
498 HEADRESTS IN REAR, MECHANIC. ADJUSTABLE
550 ON-BOARD COMPUTER
560 CO-PILOTS IN REAR COMPARTMENT = reading lights
838 CANADIAN VERSION

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/pro_street427/BMW%20733i%20Hartge/BMW733i1.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/pro_street427/BMW%20733i%20Hartge/BMW733i5.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/pro_street427/BMW%20733i%20Hartge/BMW733i10.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/pro_street427/BMW%20733i%20Hartge/BMW733i14.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/pro_street427/BMW%20733i%20Hartge/BMW733i16.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/pro_street427/BMW%20733i%20Hartge/BMW733i21.jpg

More images here: http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/pro_street427/BMW%20733i%20Hartge/

Boxer2
08-08-2011, 01:23 AM
why are you selling so soon?, you just got it, and I haven't even seen it yet

ProStreetDriver
08-08-2011, 01:27 AM
why are you selling so soon?, you just got it, and I haven't even seen it yet

I can't insure it until I'm 26 and even if it's in my dad's name, I can't drive it legally... So I'm selling everything to get a newer BMW.

Boxer2
08-08-2011, 01:31 AM
oh I see, that sucks man.....you still planning on going to bimmercruise? I'm heading up there with the M5 for some autocross action

ProStreetDriver
08-08-2011, 01:37 AM
oh I see, that sucks man.....you still planning on going to bimmercruise? I'm heading up there with the M5 for some autocross action

Yeah I really hate to see it go :(, but it isn't worth having the car sit for 4yrs until I can drive it... I probably won't be going to bimmercruise now unfortunately.

Boxer2
08-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Ya I can understand, it's not good for these cars to sit for a long period of time...hopefully it will go to a good home.

ProStreetDriver
08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Anyone...

Blackedout95
08-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Cool car!

The Twin
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
someone should get this, and stance the eff out of it.

nice car TTT

carjoe
08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
someone should get this, and stance the eff out of it.

nice car TTT
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. That thing is in great shape.

SickFinga
08-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Car did come from the dealership new with the rims, "M7" badge, Hartge valve cover and strut brace.

It did not.

ProStreetDriver
08-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the comments *th-up*

It did not.

Actually it did. The previous owner that had the car before me owned it since 1989 and it have those parts when he bought the car. Not to mention, back then, you couldn't just buy Hartge parts off the shelf that easily.

SickFinga
08-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Actually it did. The previous owner that had the car before me owned it since 1989 and it have those parts when he bought the car. Not to mention, back then, you couldn't just buy Hartge parts off the shelf that easily.

Again, it did not. You car is a mashup of different mods.

1. Badge. M7 never existed. You mentioned before that Hartge, doesn't have records for cars that old. Call up BMW and ask them about M7, if there was ever such a thing they will know. I'm willing to bet anything your conversation going to be short. The only closest thing to an M7 was a South-African e23 745i. You can read more about it here.
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=4

2. Centra wheels. Those were very popular aftermarket wheels back then. They made wheels for BMW, VW, Mercedes, Audi and Opel. BMW never sold them as an option or an accessory.

3. If I were you I'd research the Hartge angle a little bit more. There was an H7S recently sold on BaT website
http://bringatrailer.com/2011/06/17/bat-exclusive-1983-hartge-bmw-h7/
It lists some of the mods that an H7S should have. Check if your car got any of them.

ProStreetDriver
08-20-2011, 08:16 PM
I already know there isn't a true M7 and I know about the 745i e23 turbo car. I also know about the H7S and there is also an H7 version too and yes I did talk to BMW and no one can give me any info on the car. Also an FYI for you, those rims did come stock on an e24.

It's hard enough for me to sell it, but I don't want to deal with someone's bs either. Now if your not interested in the car, I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU ANYMORE!

SickFinga
08-21-2011, 05:21 AM
and I know about the 745i e23 turbo car.

Well, it sounds like you don't know much about the South African 745i. It's not turbo like the european versions, it's an M88 powered 7 series.

Also an FYI for you, those rims did come stock on an e24.

Oh really? Care to post a part number?

It's hard enough for me to sell it, but I don't want to deal with someone's bs either.

It's pretty simple, don't want to deal with someone's bs, don't post bs. If you know it's not an M7, why are you claiming it came like that from the factory?
It is also interesting that you say not much known about the car, but you also post things like "M7 badge came from the dealer" like it's a fact and don't expect people to call you out on it.

Boxer2
08-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Well, it sounds like you don't know much about the South African 745i. It's not turbo like the european versions, it's an M88 powered 7 series.

Oh really? Care to post a part number?

It's pretty simple, don't want to deal with someone's bs, don't post bs. If you know it's not an M7, why are you claiming it came like that from the factory?
It is also interesting that you say not much known about the car, but you also post things like "M7 badge came from the dealer" like it's a fact and don't expect people to call you out on it.

I think you have stated enough information, and see no further reason for you to keep trashing the OP's FS thread....if someone is interested in the car then it is up to THEM to verify the cars originality, and despite its questionable history it appears to be a super clean example which I'm sure any collector like myself would be proud to have in his collection*uzi*
If it was in my budget, I would have jumped on this regardless of where the precious M7 badge came from:rolleyes:

The Twin
08-22-2011, 10:21 AM
well said Boxer2.

Caveat emptor. Regardless of the originality of the M7 badge/wheels it boils down to a 27 year old BMW that looks to be in great shape.
Any BMW enthusiast can look past the "questionable" badges, and see it for what it is.
A good example of a car we don't see anymore that has gobs of potential for the right buyer.

I wouldn't expect to see a Maxbimmer Moderator openly discount a classified add from a member trying to sell their car.

ProStreetDriver
08-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I think you have stated enough information, and see no further reason for you to keep trashing the OP's FS thread....if someone is interested in the car then it is up to THEM to verify the cars originality, and despite its questionable history it appears to be a super clean example which I'm sure any collector like myself would be proud to have in his collection*uzi*
If it was in my budget, I would have jumped on this regardless of where the precious M7 badge came from:rolleyes:

well said Boxer2.

Caveat emptor. Regardless of the originality of the M7 badge/wheels it boils down to a 27 year old BMW that looks to be in great shape.
Any BMW enthusiast can look past the "questionable" badges, and see it for what it is.
A good example of a car we don't see anymore that has gobs of potential for the right buyer.

I wouldn't expect to see a Maxbimmer Moderator openly discount a classified add from a member trying to sell their car.

Thanks guys for the support!

bmwm5lover
08-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Please, do not take this in anyway as offensive or putting the seller down...however, seeing how sickfinga has made some very factual points, I feel that he needs the support.

I truly think this car is one of a kind in the sense that it looks to be in FANTASTIC shape and comes with some really cool "extras". To state that it came with a M7 badge from the factory, to me, is absolutely preposterous and takes away from the credibility of the ad and the seller. "he said she said" with used cars cannot be taken as Fact. What the original owner claims to be fact, doesn't necessarily make it true.
In any case, anyone looking for a very clean and period correct example, should DEFINITELY look at this one and regardless of the badge should feel confident in scooping it up.

To the seller, good luck, it will take time but you will find the right buyer.

If there was an e30 with a M3 badge posted for sale, everyone in this thread would be first time to jump down the person's throat. So yes, an inaccurately badged car(not saying it is) will probably get some heat.

Boxer2
08-22-2011, 10:51 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but I do not see anything in the original post saying that the M7 badge came from the FACTORY...I only see that it says "came from the DEALER" which I don't think is far fetched as any dealer could have modified the original 733i badge by removing the "33" from the "7" and adding an ///M badge in front which might have been done for the original owner.

ProStreetDriver
08-23-2011, 12:41 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but I do not see anything in the original post saying that the M7 badge came from the FACTORY...I only see that it says "came from the DEALER" which I don't think is far fetched as any dealer could have modified the original 733i badge by removing the "33" from the "7" and adding an ///M badge in front which might have been done for the original owner.

Exactly, thank you for pointing that out!

I know of another e23 with the exact same "///M" badge but missing the 7 that was put on by the dealer also. I took pics of this car long time ago when I first got into BMWs and talked to the owner about it. He was from Germany and brought this car over when he moved here in the late 80s or early 90s. He was the 2nd owner of the car and only bought it when it was a few years old.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/pro_street427/DSC00207.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff234/pro_street427/DSC00203.jpg

Also, if I remember correctly. From my searching about Hartge, there is a member here on the forum which owns/owned an e34 with Hartge parts that was built by the dealer.

One of the members on a European BMW forum sent me the link to this video of a automotive rebuild show from Europe which includes a Canadian spec e24 with the exact same rims http://www.streetfire.net/video/wheeler-dealers-s04e07-bmw-635-csi_639763.htm

bmwm5lover
08-23-2011, 12:55 AM

Fair enough, but still, an M badge just thrown on doesn't make any difference just like a NOS sticker wouldn't make a difference.

Dealers will do anything to sell a car, perhaps that was their way of getting it off the lot.

Prostreet, that looks like a cool euro spec e23.

Boxer2
08-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Fair enough, but still, an M badge just thrown on doesn't make any difference just like a NOS sticker wouldn't make a difference.

Dealers will do anything to sell a car, perhaps that was their way of getting it off the lot.

Prostreet, that looks like a cool euro spec e23.

I was not implying that the ///M badge made any difference, I was simply trying to say the same thing you said in regards to the dealer putting the badge on as which may have been specified by the buyer....if that's what got the car off the lot, then that's great for the dealer, they moved the car, made money off it, and the customer is happy.

SickFinga
08-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I know of another e23 with the exact same "///M" badge but missing the 7 that was put on by the dealer also. I took pics of this car long time ago when I first got into BMWs and talked to the owner about it. He was from Germany and brought this car over when he moved here in the late 80s or early 90s. He was the 2nd owner of the car and only bought it when it was a few years old.

Look, he is not the first owner so your point is moot here. Even if he was a first owner, these are 30 year old cars we are talking about.
Also there is a huge difference between an M badge and an M7 badge. M badge was and still is available as an accessory from the dealer. The hacked off 7 from a 735 badge was not.
These pictures do not prove anything, as they are all used cars, but if you got some official BMW photos, post them.

Also, if I remember correctly. From my searching about Hartge, there is a member here on the forum which owns/owned an e34 with Hartge parts that was built by the dealer.

I'm not going to argue about this as I don't know much about Hartge's history, but I've never seen any proof that they had a connection to BMW like Dinan and Alpina.

One of the members on a European BMW forum sent me the link to this video of a automotive rebuild show from Europe which includes a Canadian spec e24 with the exact same rims http://www.streetfire.net/video/wheeler-dealers-s04e07-bmw-635-csi_639763.htm

A RHD Canadian spec 635csi? fcplm C'mon, you are smarter than that.
In the video they claimed that the car was at some point exported to Canada and then imported to UK with those wheels. In fact, right in the video the mechanic says that those are not original and the presenter replies they are "period original".

Here is an excerpt from a recent BMP Design catalog
http://i.imgur.com/Za5Ik.jpg

Here is an 80ties ad of some tuning store in England
http://i.imgur.com/YZtFd.jpg

I gotta add though, Audi did offer those wheels in their accessories catalog, which can be seen here
http://www.kvquattro.com/1986AudiSportsAccessories.html

but I've never seen BMW offering them and they are not listed in the ETK.

Anyways, you shouldn't take previous owners' word seriously, especially when they make some questionable claims and when you are unsure you shouldn't continue presenting those claims as a fact. I'm not saying you should take my word for it either.

P.S. If you want I can move the whole discussion to your thread in the Rides section.

ProStreetDriver
09-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Weekend bump... No trades btw.

ProStreetDriver
09-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Up top...

ProStreetDriver
11-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Price drop... $4500

AlpWhitE46
11-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Clean car but lol @ topic change ... :)
I still think he meant dealership as in when the car rolled out..

"Car did come from the dealership new with the rims, "M7" badge"

note ... "car did come from dealer NEW".....