PDA

View Full Version : One brake light is out...

MaxBell
08-05-2011, 12:50 AM
It's NOT THE BULB. I already replaced that. I replaced fuses 6, 22 and 23, which are associated with the brake lights.

I pulled the brake light controller in the trunk and looked at that. Seems fine.

Is there a relay or something somewhere else that could be causing this?

Blackedout95
08-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Is the light still making a solid connection when plugged in... or maybe a wire issue.

El Gato Liso
08-05-2011, 02:11 AM
did you check the bulb? i would obvi check that first.

karmatose
08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Better yet, is there power getting there? Have you used your dmm to check continuity?

Ceeker
08-05-2011, 09:51 AM
It's NOT THE BULB. I already replaced that. I replaced fuses 6, 22 and 23, which are associated with the brake lights.

I pulled the brake light controller in the trunk and looked at that. Seems fine.

Is there a relay or something somewhere else that could be causing this?

Check continuity as mentioned but also make sure the housing backing which holds the bulbs; it should be mounted securely after replacing the bulb. Sometimes when this isn't seated properly it will give false readings.

Deetow
08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Check continuity as mentioned but also make sure the housing backing which holds the bulbs; it should be mounted securely after replacing the bulb. Sometimes when this isn't seated properly it will give false readings.

+1

I have one mount that's a little finicky and none of the lights worked. Some contact (not the eye kind - the electrical kind) cleaner clears it right up

MaxBell
08-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I'll check all this later today. The bulb is fine, and that plate is plugged in.

K///Mikes
08-07-2011, 02:02 PM
ive had this problem b4 n it drove me nuts! at first i replaced every bulb! still i had the left brake light and no right driving light. i was like wtf! pulled it off, did some testing, everything was working as it should, next step i figured there must be a loose connection between the back plate where the bulbs mount to the connector itself that u plug into, so i went to part source and baught sum di-electric greese and put a bit on every pin, every bulb. pluigged it back in and voila! they worked! hope this helps

Ceeker
08-07-2011, 04:29 PM
ive had this problem b4 n it drove me nuts! at first i replaced every bulb! still i had the left brake light and no right driving light. i was like wtf! pulled it off, did some testing, everything was working as it should, next step i figured there must be a loose connection between the back plate where the bulbs mount to the connector itself that u plug into, so i went to part source and baught sum di-electric greese and put a bit on every pin, every bulb. pluigged it back in and voila! they worked! hope this helps

that is one good alternative!*th-up* and of course helps because it bridges any continuity problems.

MaxBell
08-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm going to try that.

I havn't been able to find a voltmeter as I'm not in Ottawa with all my stuff for the summer.

Another thing I noticed is that the brake light warning light is on in the cabin panel. (that thing on the ceiling)