PDA

View Full Version : Can't turn my key to start, 1998 E38 740i

Boxer2
01-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Having trouble turning the key in the ignition of my E38, I have tried turning the wheel back and forth to maybe help unlock it, but still no luck......if anyone has any tips or tricks on how to resolve this it would be greatly appreciated.

Ceeker
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Having trouble turning the key in the ignition of my E38, I have tried turning the wheel back and forth to maybe help unlock it, but still no luck......if anyone has any tips or tricks on how to resolve this it would be greatly appreciated.

I sometimes get that problem with my e30. If the steering wheel is under load in the lock position it makes it hard to get the ign key to turn. I would pull on the wheel so there is no tension on the lock and then try turning it. Also try switching the key around.

How's it going btw? (Grin) called you and left message..

Boxer2
01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I sometimes get that problem with my e30. If the steering wheel is under load in the lock position it makes it hard to get the ign key to turn. I would pull on the wheel so there is no tension on the lock and then try turning it. Also try switching the key around.

How's it going btw? (Grin) called you and left message..

Hey Ern, I did try taking the load off the wheel as well as turning the key around, but still no dice...

As to how it's going, got another huge bucket of problems, it's not going great...I will try calling you sometime tomorrow, as for now I'm just so exhausted.

ProStreetDriver
01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey Rene, try http://the7seriesregister.co.uk/forums/index.php?

There is a load of 7 series gurus on their and they're always really helpful too. From my experience, it has to be the best 7 series forum out there.

Is this your car btw???

Boxer2
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey Rene, try http://the7seriesregister.co.uk/forums/index.php?

There is a load of 7 series gurus on their and they're always really helpful too. From my experience, it has to be the best 7 series forum out there.

Is this your car btw???

thanks Matt, this looks like a good tech forum....I'm still waiting for approval so I can post a new topic, hoping it wont be to long.

The E38 is part of the "family fleet", my step mom is driving it most of the time, it's a sweet ride, I like it*rockout*