PDA

View Full Version : Wtb: E30 ! ! !

defaultName
12-18-2010, 01:38 PM
I am not posting this because I am too lazy to search for one on my own. Everyday I search in all of the usual places but I'm sure there are a lot of good E30's for sale that are not posted on forums, kijiji, ebay etc.

I am willing to travel, willing to ship, and willing to import.

I do not have a set budget and what I am willing to spend will obviously depend on the car. I have cash in hand.

The only condition I have is that it must be a 2 door and nothing with rust. Everything else I will consider.

Even if you find one that is not yours let me know.

Thanks!

defaultName
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
If I don't find one I'll be forced to buy a Hon... A Hond... :puke: HONDA!!!

ng78
12-25-2010, 02:05 PM
We don't want you to end up with a Honda! What is your timeline, and are you looking for something below $3,000 or are you willing to pay double that or more for a really good one? The market seems to be all over the place with E30's lately.

Ceeker
12-25-2010, 03:54 PM
We don't want you to end up with a Honda! What is your timeline, and are you looking for something below $3,000 or are you willing to pay double that or more for a really good one? The market seems to be all over the place with E30's lately.

the market is all over because each day more and more are meeting their maker and less and less are left in the condition they are supposed to be in from the very start. One that is well taken care of, regardless of mileage is worth it's weight in gold. If the car is original or restored to original I think it deserves a premium. If it's a shit can, patch job, to keep it running and requires thousands of shop $$$ to fix. it's worth a tow. Modified e30's seldom get the proper modification detail to attention and documentation they deserve and end up bastardized making them worth - less. Nobody want's someone elses mystery mode claims. One that is documented and tastefully done can also fetch a premium and my hat comes off to those who have.

this is just my opinion however. (Grin)

defaultName
12-26-2010, 08:57 AM
What is your timeline, and are you looking for something below $3,000 or are you willing to pay double that or more for a really good one?

My timeline is right now.

I don't have a set budget. I do have an ideal car that I am looking for but if I cant find that car and I see a car that I like then I will pay what it is worth.

There are a lot of variable when it comes to E30's (early model or late model, M10/M20/M42/Swapped, maintenance records, condition of body and interior, necessary repairs, upgrades, colour and RUST!!!) so it is hard to just give a price.

Ideally I am looking for a 1984 318i, Delphin Grey, zero power options, slicktop, bone stock (except maybe a sport interior, euro bumpers and basket weaves) and rust free body.

ng78
12-26-2010, 11:13 AM
That's a tough combo to find, but best of luck!

Ceeker
12-26-2010, 04:54 PM
My timeline is right now.

I don't have a set budget. I do have an ideal car that I am looking for but if I cant find that car and I see a car that I like then I will pay what it is worth.

There are a lot of variable when it comes to E30's (early model or late model, M10/M20/M42/Swapped, maintenance records, condition of body and interior, necessary repairs, upgrades, colour and RUST!!!) so it is hard to just give a price.

Ideally I am looking for a 1984 318i, Delphin Grey, zero power options, slicktop, bone stock (except maybe a sport interior, euro bumpers and basket weaves) and rust free body.

doubt you will find an 84-318; is not sought after model; it was the first gen poor mans bmw. and possessed a host of problems in first year production. it was considered an embarrassment for bmw and was kept hush. (grin) tech's didn't like working on them. I remember..With those specifics..you're better off looking on e-bay motors UK. you'll most probably find a euro model 316,18 or 323.

racer-x
01-01-2011, 06:01 PM
The best 318 was a late 1991. The 84's are like hens teeth. But the M10 is a legendary engine.
The E30 was over engineered to the tune of 200% of what was required. The E36 models, well, you see how they hold up.

defaultName
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info but my mind is set!

It's rare for someone to buy an E30 and leave it stock, so I'm not to worried about getting a 318iS or a 325iS because everything will be replaced anyways.

It doesn't really matter how good a 318iS handles if the suspension is getting ripped out. And while an M20 does make decent power, you will always want more and probably end up swapping.

That being said, I don't have huge plans for the car, I just want a simple car that I can work on and drive.

Hopefully I will find one by Spring...

Ceeker
01-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info but my mind is set!

It's rare for someone to buy an E30 and leave it stock, so I'm not to worried about getting a 318iS or a 325iS because everything will be replaced anyways.

It doesn't really matter how good a 318iS handles if the suspension is getting ripped out. And while an M20 does make decent power, you will always want more and probably end up swapping.

That being said, I don't have huge plans for the car, I just want a simple car that I can work on and drive.

Hopefully I will find one by Spring...

no its not rare; young guys outta or still in high school wanna get one and then in almost all cases bastardize the car! leaving it little to be desired. The problem with wanting more power is like taking drugs.. for a while you get high and then get used to it and then you want to get something bigger, faster. It doesn't end and all you keep doing is spending more money. A car in original condition is and will always be worth more in most cases because it has NOT been tampered with and there will in MOST cases be no surprises.

I have only seen a few examples of tastefully done proper modifications to e30's making them desirable and thus justifying the premium.

However, anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it as Rudy mentioned. This is accurate.

InfiniteDice
01-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I agree with Creeker 99%. :)

If I were you (OP) I'd consider getting any e30 that is rust free regardless of model/year. Every one that I've had the pleasure to be in has it's own feel and character. A rust free 325e is just as good, and can be modified later if required.

A 325e (manual) can whoop some 318i ass down low around town. Put a 4.10 lsd in it and about 500 - 1000 into the stock 2.7 and you'll be happy. My only gripe about the stock 'e' was the lack of balls while passing on the highway.

Essentially what matters is the rust situation. Feel with your fingers, look with both eyes, and bring a magnet in a sock (people don't like magnets on the paint). Check the rear upper spring perches, the rear sub-frame, the license plate lights (outside and inside the trunk), the rear fenders and the battery area in the trunk. The front lift points are crucial! there should be a section of boxed metal just behind the front wheels under the car. grab the metal down there and push, pull. poke hard. Feel all along the lower seam of the rocker panels along the sides, I just replaced a rocker for about $150, but paying to have this done is $$$. Also rust around the window seal or sunroof area is not easy to fix. These are all the deadly cancer spots.

Of minor concern are the fenders, they are easy to replace or fix. Paint imperfections and some dents are okay as well.

Hope this helps.

defaultName
01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
no its not rare; young guys outta or still in high school wanna get one and then in almost all cases bastardize the car! leaving it little to be desired.

Well I won't be buying some high school kids leftovers that's for sure. I have had a neglected E30 and it was not fun.

The problem with wanting more power is like taking drugs.. for a while you get high and then get used to it and then you want to get something bigger, faster. It doesn't end and all you keep doing is spending more money.

That is exactly why I am not worried about it. You can't have fun with power on the street (you obviously can but I cannot afford a ticket and jacked up insurance) and since that is where this car will spend most of its time I am not concerned with it.

A car in original condition is and will always be worth more in most cases because it has NOT been tampered with and there will in MOST cases be no surprises.

I totally agree. I am only interested in something that is stock. I want a car to be my own and not someone else's project.

defaultName
01-12-2011, 07:29 PM
If I were you (OP) I'd consider getting any e30 that is rust free regardless of model/year.

I have bought cars before that I wasn't dead set on buying and I always ended up selling them within a year. The last thing I want to do is settle for a car that isn't ideal.

I am willing to wait for the right car and I think I will know when I find it.

InfiniteDice
01-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Thing is... 2, 5 or 10 years ago was a different time. I know of people who have built engines waiting for the 'right' car to come along at the 'right' price, and guess what? That was 8 years ago, still no car.

All e30 shells are essentially the same be it coupe, sedan or convertible. So if you are planning a future engine swap, take the one that has the least rust. Yes if you are looking for that 'late style' 318i look then you'll have less cosmetic work to do than if you buy an older model. The situation lately is it's either in need of major under-body welding, or it's 4k+

Let your budget determine the car I suppose, you're right in waiting for the look you are after if that's the case.

defaultName
01-14-2011, 01:08 PM
I know of people who have built engines waiting for the 'right' car to come along at the 'right' price, and guess what? That was 8 years ago, still no car.

I totally understand what you are saying and I do agree. Rust free is my priority.

My ideal car that I listed above is just that, my ideal car, but I am not waiting for it. I am not desperate for a car right now but I do want one by Spring. Basically what I am saying is that it is a little too early to settle. If I find one that I like then I will buy it, but for now I can wait.

I am 99% set on an early model though.

I don't have a set budget because it will be determined by the car, how much I like it and how much work it needs.

I am hoping that some nice cars come out of hiding as the weather warms up!

mr.crappy
01-20-2011, 09:26 PM
have u seen my 325? i just put it on the market.........

defaultName
01-20-2011, 09:50 PM
have u seen my 325? i just put it on the market.........

Yes I did... I commented on your thread.

It sounds like you put a lot of work into it and it's too bad you have to sell.

mr.crappy
01-20-2011, 10:10 PM
my bad, never paid attention to your name.
its not really fitting your criteria anyway. it has been fixed perfectly but wasnt perfect before resto.

defaultName
01-21-2011, 07:17 AM
its not really fitting your criteria anyway. it has been fixed perfectly but wasnt perfect before resto.

That is just my ideal car. Finding that car is like dating Natalie Portman... It will probably never happen but I still gotta try!

defaultName
02-03-2011, 06:28 PM
! ! ! Update ! ! !

*par-t* I finally bought a car *par-t*

craz azn
02-03-2011, 07:09 PM
NICE! What did you get? Pics!!!

defaultName
02-03-2011, 10:03 PM
NICE! What did you get? Pics!!!

Pretty much the complete opposite of what I was looking for.

1990 325i
5 speed
2 door
Schwarz exterior with Grey cloth interior
Power everything except manual sunroof

I don't have pics yet. I picked up the car late last night and I've been working all day. The car is in a relatives garage until I have room for it and until I get it running properly... Did you think I found an E30 without issues!

The issues...

-The car won't idle. If you take your foot off the gas it dies. I'm guessing it's the idle control valve or a vacuum hose. Could it be something else?

-Crank sunroof does not work. I can slide the sunroof with my hands but the crank does nothing. I'll be taking down the headliner and having a look.

-Trunk lock mechanism is iffy. It works but the lock is a little jammed.

-Driver seat is shredded which is fine becuse I would be upgrading to sport seats anyways. The rest of the interior is mint. Crack free dash!

-Rust, obviously. So far what I have found is only surface rust on the front fenders, a bit on one door and one rocker and the rear valance. The underbody looks solid and so does the trunk area. There is no rust around the sunroof or around the windshield.

-Front valance is bent, one fog light is cracked, and the front bumper has some minor damage. There are also scratches and dents. The exterior of the car isn't something I am too worried about. I don't want a car that is so nice that I am afraid to drive it.

So I do have a bit of a project on my hands but I knew that going in to it.

craz azn
02-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Sounds like a decent base! You probably will need to take the sunvisor panel down to see all the cables and stuff, be careful, in addition to all the screws and seals that hold it up, there are two screws from the top that you need to take off with the sunroof open, or else you will break the brackets off that hold the panel up. I don't know how many time I've done that before I learned *shiner*

I've got a nice iS lip front/rear for sale that your car wants! :P

defaultName
02-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Sounds like a decent base!

I think it is. I really was not looking for a perfect E30 right now. I needed a car that I wouldn't be afraid of.

You probably will need to take the sunvisor panel down to see all the cables and stuff, be careful, in addition to all the screws and seals that hold it up, there are two screws from the top that you need to take off with the sunroof open, or else you will break the brackets off that hold the panel up. I don't know how many time I've done that before I learned *shiner*

Thanks for the tip! I most likely would have learned that the hard way too.

I've got a nice iS lip front/rear for sale that your car wants! :P

I know! I have been looking through the classifieds way more then I should be considering the car isn't even on the road yet. I actually think your iS front lip with the M Tech II rear half wing would look good. Tempting...