PDA

View Full Version : WINTER DRIVING M3 setup

sparkybp
12-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I have a e36 328is with a completely overhauled suspension and braking system from an m3. I have it aligned to m3 sport specs although instead of the specified -2.7 degrees of rear camber I only took about -2.5. I am running winter tires all around. As we all know its been pretty icy on the roads lately especially on the 401. I am having trouble understanding why my rear end feels like it wants to run left and right in short bursts on ice almost making me loose control everytime, as other drivers are passing by me at twice the speed having no trouble. I am trying to figure out if I should blame it on a loose ball joint in the front leaving one of my wheels a little free play(although the slipping is coming from the rear clearly). Is it bad winter tires that went old because I bought them second hand or is it the 0.10 of toe in or the negative camber or what? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

///M325i
12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
^^ lol

Axxe
12-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Did you replace rear trailing arm bushings?

Daneee
12-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Did you replace rear trailing arm bushings?
+1...rear trailing arm bushings!!!!

BSL
12-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Usually when you have your alignment set, the tech would check for play in the important parts... ball joints, etc in the front.

Sloppy rear bushings could be easily missed, but the alignment numbers would be all messed up...
I'd suspect your having a traction issue. How wide are the tires?

Try a full tank of gas and a trunkload of groceries.

sparkybp
12-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I have finally figured it out. It seems I had .96 total toe in on the rear, and it seems it should have only been set to around .30 total toe in. Car went back on the rack came out feeling like a new car. Even the whole rear end doesn't clunk as much when I hit bumps anymore, handling a "drift" on snow after the adjustments is like having sex with a woman after masturbating for the last year(good). Also I can even feel it when shifting gears the rear wheels maintain a better rolling speed (kinda like rev matching) because before it would slow down due to the extreme angle. Turning and even highway driving feels so much better too. I cannot believe the amount of changes from adjusting proper toe all around on the vehicle. It feels beautiful again.