PDA

View Full Version : Possible to switch from relative to absolute gas gauge?

Dr. Flyview
12-01-2010, 08:12 PM
As some of you may be aware, some e36s came with their their clusters showing actual liter amounts, while most came with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full. I am 99% positive the one showing real amounts is absolute reading of the liters left in your tank (otherwise it wouldn't make sense), while the other one will compensate for how you've been driving (more like a range-meter rather than a gas-meter).

I'm wondering if it would be possible to go from relative -> absolute by switching the cluster or maybe a sensor, module, relay, whatever.

SickFinga
12-01-2010, 09:30 PM
As some of you may be aware, some e36s came with their their clusters showing actual liter amounts, while most came with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full. I am 99% positive the one showing real amounts is absolute reading of the liters left in your tank (otherwise it wouldn't make sense), while the other one will compensate for how you've been driving (more like a range-meter rather than a gas-meter).

I'm wondering if it would be possible to go from relative -> absolute by switching the cluster or maybe a sensor, module, relay, whatever.

Isn't the one with the amount of gas left a european/canadian version and the fraction one is a US version?

Anyways, there is no difference between them. None of them compensate for the way you drive. The low gas light does depend on the way you drive.

Dissembler
12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
...while the other one will compensate for how you've been driving (more like a range-meter rather than a gas-meter).

lol, its not a range meter nor does it compensate. It simply tell you how full your tank is. 1/1 means full, 1/2 means half full and 0/1 means call CAA. The range calculator is in your OBC.

You should be able to just switch it. The needles on the different fuel guages should have the same sweep, its just the dial face that will be different.

Dr. Flyview
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
:| Hmm really eh.

I thought it was since you can see the needle go down when driving agressively and then actually come back up if you suddenly drive very tame.

Still not convinced.

Dissembler
12-02-2010, 12:10 AM
:| Hmm really eh.

I thought it was since you can see the needle go down when driving agressively and then actually come back up if you suddenly drive very tame.

Still not convinced.

thats what happens when the fuel is sloshing about in your tank when you drive agressively. The level sender empties as the fuel moves back and forth across the tank, than as the fuel settles, guess what? the level sender reads normal again.

Eurostyle
12-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Driving style has nothing to do with it...If you drive like a maniac and waste 1/2 tank, or you drive like grandma and waste 1/2 tank, the end results are the same that you have half tank left, and thats what any gauge should show!

E36is
12-02-2010, 07:50 AM
dont know if there is a code on the e36 OBC, but on the e30 OBC you can actually get a digital readout (realtime) on what is in the tank. And yes it decreases by .1 as you drive.

doogee
12-02-2010, 10:35 AM
^^ Code 7

tg07lq
12-04-2010, 09:42 PM
^ only on an unlocked 18 button. test 3 is consumption per hour. couple that with test 7 for remaining fuel and you can guestimate how far till empty. i have the howle list of test functions printed out and stored with my owners manual for those longs trips or when your curious and sitting somewhere waiting for someone bored

propr'one
12-05-2010, 12:37 AM
i'm sure there's other things that can be fixed on your car instead of worrying about this bro

Dr. Flyview
12-05-2010, 03:10 AM
^^ You have no idea.

It's officially winter beater status now. It pains me, but I'm driving it through the winter. Someone just keyed it, rust is showing up in spots, dirty as hell :( Makes me sad looking at its old pics.

propr'one
12-05-2010, 04:10 PM
shitty bro. at least you can beat the **** out of it year round now?

BSL
12-06-2010, 01:20 AM
On the bright side, E36's are a fantastic winter beaters! Practice your drift skills, while the dirt covers up your imperfect paint.