PDA

View Full Version : HELP! make 328i Road legal!!

fishtar
11-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi guys,

Recently I bought a E36 318i with a bunch of mods. The ownership says 318i, 4 door, but the engine is from a 328i, and there are many M3 parts in it. It is basically a 318i shell, with a 328i motor, and M3 everything else.

Killer part here: It's not road legal:(:(:(:(:(

It has no interior... No backseat, no door covers, no anything. It has 2 racing seats in the front, a steering wheel (no airbag), and a shifter. The racing seats have no seatbelts (thinking of either racing harness, which must be road legal, or normal seatbelts).
I was hoping you guys could tell me what I need to make this barely road legal.
It also has no catalytic converters and I know I need to put some on for the e-test.

craz azn
11-29-2010, 10:59 AM
LOL did you buy a black e36 with a wing?

fishtar
11-29-2010, 11:04 AM
yep. no backseat... it's black too...

parm
11-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Did you buy it on the basis it was road legal? also is it the same e36 that was or is for sale on kijiji , it stated not road legal is it the same one?

fishtar
11-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes. I bought it as a track car. I do want to make it road legal though. Has everything I need. Engine, transmission, exhaust and a shell.

craz azn
11-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Wow. You have your work cut out for you then.

So it will need a lot of things. You are going to need proper seats, because E36s have the seatbelt bucket attached to the seat frame. Almost any aftermarket seat does not have provisions for them, so you are SOL. Obviously you will need to buy the seat belt itself as well. Next thing you will need to do is buy an entire heater box assembly as you will need some sort of fan/defroster to pass a safety AFAIK. I am assuming all the lights and stuff work? Then the usuals, proper tires that have tread, brakes, etc etc.

Oh, and just an FYI, there is nothing M3 on that car except the steering wheel.

fishtar
11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
the camshafts are m3... Anyways, Couldn't I just bolt on the seatbelt bucket to the seat or the shell of the car itself? And what is the heater box assembly. As in, what does it do? I know that there is a fan I have to manually turn on and it's an engine fan.. would that be it? Lights work window wipers work windows etc... 3 sets of tires came with it, all have tread. brakes are good.

fishtar
11-29-2010, 11:26 AM
ps.
If i needed a car with stereo, door panels, etc, i have my 7 series in the garage... this is purely a project car

simplycars
11-29-2010, 11:32 AM
it will be cheaper to buy another e36 and swap all the parts you will need.

craz azn
11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
the camshafts are m3... Anyways, Couldn't I just bolt on the seatbelt bucket to the seat or the shell of the car itself? And what is the heater box assembly. As in, what does it do? I know that there is a fan I have to manually turn on and it's an engine fan.. would that be it? Lights work window wipers work windows etc... 3 sets of tires came with it, all have tread. brakes are good.

Are you sure the camshafts are? Because they guy said at first it was 'the cam gears' that were M3 so clearly he didn't have any idea of what he was talking about.

Sure you can bolt the seatbelt bucket to the floor or whatever, but doesn't mean is safe.

Heater box assembly. Where your heater core, fan etc etc all sit. Notice that huge gaping hole under the dash into the engine compartment...

As for the manual engine fan, that's a bunch of crap. The car doesn't even have a coolant temp gauge hooked up, so how do you know what good it does? It could be overheating right in front of you and you wouldn't even know... That fact alone told me the guy who was selling it was a bit of a space cadet. :D

fishtar
11-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Are you sure the camshafts are? Because they guy said at first it was 'the cam gears' that were M3 so clearly he didn't have any idea of what he was talking about.

Sure you can bolt the seatbelt bucket to the floor or whatever, but doesn't mean is safe.

Heater box assembly. Where your heater core, fan etc etc all sit. Notice that huge gaping hole under the dash into the engine compartment...

As for the manual engine fan, that's a bunch of crap. The car doesn't even have a coolant temp gauge hooked up, so how do you know what good it does? It could be overheating right in front of you and you wouldn't even know... That fact alone told me the guy who was selling it was a bit of a space cadet. :D

Haha, I'm not too far from him either... Don't know much about cars. All I felt though, was that the car can go vroom. I plan on hooking up the temp thing real soon. Besides, I can't use it anyways. I'll probably get that hooked up at the same time I do everything else. Parkview BMW would be able to do this right?

So the heater box assembly. Important? If so, how much for one? Also, what does it do? Does it heat up the engine?

EDIT: also as for the bolting of the seatbelt thingy, would that pass the safety test?

T.Dot_E30
11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
And what is the heater box assembly. As in, what does it do?

The dummy term is the thing that provides heat to the inside of the car, you know so you keep warm in the winter or your windows don't freeze up?

As Rudy said, it's required for safety to have a working defroster.

Track cars usually have all that stuff removed, since heat or a/c isn't needed in a race car.

fishtar
11-29-2010, 11:46 AM
The dummy term is the thing that provides heat to the inside of the car, you know so you keep warm in the winter or your windows don't freeze up?

As Rudy said, it's required for safety to have a working defroster.

Track cars usually have all that stuff removed, since heat or a/c isn't needed in a race car.

Awwwwwww. Yeah i think i need one of those. How much is the average price of one?

T.Dot_E30
11-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Call one of these guys, they'll give you good prices on these parts used.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/ads/eurostyle.jpg

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/image.php?u=14390&type=sigpic&dateline=1256493472

There is also euroguy, but i can't find him under sponsors anymore.

fishtar
11-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Call one of these guys, they'll give you good prices on these parts used.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/ads/eurostyle.jpg

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/image.php?u=14390&type=sigpic&dateline=1256493472

There is also euroguy, but i can't find him under sponsors anymore.

Thanks! Sent two emails

doogee
11-29-2010, 12:04 PM
/thread. That car is hopeless. Doesn't it have like 450k?

I interrogated the other owner about it.

Here's a heads up:

You're power steering fluid reservoir isn't mounted. Neither is the coolant expansion tank.

Also, the crank case vent is disconnected. So you might want to check you oil level.

And although he told you it has 280-300hp, sorry to break it to you but it probably doesn't have much more than 210 at the crank.

BMW would never touch it.

fishtar
11-29-2010, 12:09 PM
/thread. That car is hopeless. Doesn't it have like 450k?

I interrogated the other owner about it.

Here's a heads up:

You're power steering fluid reservoir isn't mounted. Neither is the coolant expansion tank.

Also, the crank case vent is disconnected. So you might want to check you oil level.

And although he told you it has 280-300hp, sorry to break it to you but it probably doesn't have much more than 210 at the crank.

BMW would never touch it.

Aww, rain on my parade. It's my first car. Let me learn from my mistakes. Thanks for the heads up though. Coolant expansion tank is kind of sitting around in under the hood, am I right? I'll bolt it down somewhere. What is this crank case vent thing? 210hp is more than enough for a first car.

craz azn
11-29-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm all for learning man, but I think you would have better luck if you started back at square one and take Simplycars' advice and just buy another E36. That way you can see how things are supposed to operate while still together, and it is quite a learning experience to take it all apart. Not to mention it would be sooooo much cheaper in the long run.

fishtar
11-29-2010, 12:15 PM
But if I wanted a car that worked properly, i already have the 7... I dunno, i kinda wanted just a small project car that I can drive it to it's death.

But for sure, I'll get one that works next time...

InfiniteDice
11-29-2010, 01:43 PM
You'd be amazed what you can do to pass safety. Everything needs to work or appear to work. You could wire in an electic heater the law doesn't say it needs to be a coolant based heater.

Airbags... not sure, that's why I'd never buy a car to mod that has airbags.

You'll also need to pass emissions with that... wait till they hook it up and it doesn't even have the same engine in it. I don't even know all those regulations... that's why I stick to my 87.

fishtar
11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm all for learning man, but I think you would have better luck if you started back at square one and take Simplycars' advice and just buy another E36. That way you can see how things are supposed to operate while still together, and it is quite a learning experience to take it all apart. Not to mention it would be sooooo much cheaper in the long run.

Hey, so remember earlier you said the seats didn't include the seatbelt buckets? If I bolted the seatbelt buckets into the seat or the actual shell of the car, could that pass for the safety test? It might not exactly be safe but to pass, would it be enough?

craz azn
11-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Probably would be, but I'm not sure why you are trying to skimp on safety items for your own well being. It wasn't designed like that, so who says it will perform properly in the event of an actual problem?

fishtar
11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Probably would be, but I'm not sure why you are trying to skimp on safety items for your own well being. It wasn't designed like that, so who says it will perform properly in the event of an actual problem?

It's just to get it going. Once I start to get some cash coming my way I'm gonna fix it up real nice. trust me. In about 2 years I'll post before and after pics. Just for you craz azn

InfiniteDice
11-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Take a look at the stock belts on real OEM. See what they look like and where they attach.

On the e30 they can be unbolted from the seats. Essentially you need to bolt them to something, and as Crazy Azn mentions it has to be safe. You could have metal adapters made that will allow you to connect the belts to the floor of the car under the seat bolts, you'd then balance the other seat bolts with some equally thick washers so it sits level. the metal should be thick, at least 1/4" mild steel or 1/8" hard steel.

Just an opinion of course, I would suggest getting something made by an experienced machinist or welder.

3x Beemer
11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
haha I emailed this guy too telling him it was nowhere near 280hp.
would a bmw dealer even touch a car like this?
I suppose they would if you wanted to take a second mortgage on your house.

richie_s999
11-30-2010, 12:11 PM
you have a 7 series, buy a used flatbed and tow it to the track.

all for projects, but you've got a few been there done that guys who are strait out telling you, its way to much money to street legalize this car, finish up the track work needed and have some fun

tg07lq
12-11-2010, 01:38 PM
you would be so much further ahead buying another one man, like its been said that car isnt going to see the road cheap or easily.
i like richie's idea. buy a daily, or daily the 7, and just beat this one, or tear it down further to learn about it and put it back together iwth no owrry of screwing anything up.
a shop will bend you over the hood of that car at the mention of legalizing it, most certainly the stealership.
all in all, the knowledge is here, the parts are here, your willing to put in the time and money so it comes down to whats it worth to you

fishtar
12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey guys.

So I decided to bring it to my friend's friend who is a mechanic. He got the exhaust fitted for 500$ total. Now he's fitting everything else in: seatbelts, horn, new steering wheel, handbrake tightening, and heater box assembly going in. Anything else needed? I AM fixing it...

tg07lq
12-11-2010, 04:41 PM
just watch what your paying for stuff, a buddy down here paid a "friends friend" 400 to install a wing. i was floored when i found out.
....but then asked if he needed anything else installed, hahaha jk

craz azn
12-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey guys.

So I decided to bring it to my friend's friend who is a mechanic. He got the exhaust fitted for 500$ total. Now he's fitting everything else in: seatbelts, horn, new steering wheel, handbrake tightening, and heater box assembly going in. Anything else needed? I AM fixing it...

What? Didn't that car already have a half decent exhaust on it?

richie_s999
12-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Ok so what did you buy his for and what do you figure your gonna spend on it just to et road legal.

I figure the 7 series is not yours it's your parents cause you keep saying the e36 is your first car, and when I get some money. It's understandable to make some mistakes with your first car, but this ones gonna hit your pocket book, or your parents pockets hard. I'm a little dazed that you parents even let you buy this as your first car.

dble Trouble
12-12-2010, 09:18 AM
^^x2^^

Dr. Flyview
12-12-2010, 09:56 AM
500 to fit an exhaust? Ouch. A board member picked up a working road legal e30 for that much, lol.

IgnitionDelay
02-26-2011, 01:45 AM
post pictures. how does it run and drive? Make it easy on yourself.

sLvr325i
02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey guys.

if you pay that kind of money, he's probably gonna do a good enough job that you'll actually be legal. 500 to pay for parts and laour on a good exahuast is fine if its done properly. I just watched my buddy bend up some tube for daul rear exhaust muffflers and tips on a grand prix... its an art lol perfect welds