PDA

View Full Version : Smell of coolant and a few lil questions...

VeeRSixOh
11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey guys.. picked up a 98 328i M package and have been plugging away at fixing the little issues it has...
Did the control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, brakes and rotors, valve cover gasket and oil change...

I've been getting the smell of coolant in the car and the OBC (what few pixels it has left) is showing me that I need to check the coolant level. It is fine, and the car does not appear to leak coolant. Is this the heater core acting up?

Next on the list is to change spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter.. read up on that so I should be fine.

The front struts are blown. 2 new front Bilstein premium struts would be around $650, but new Bilstein kit with springs front and rear would be around $850.. I'm guessing this is a no brainer and that I should just go for the full suspension? The kit is on autopartsway.ca, by the way. I don't really want the car lowered too much as it is a daily driver.. the other toy is slammed :)

Any pointers would be awesome... thanks.

InfiniteDice
11-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Coolant in the car could be your heater core. You'll need someone from the e36 crowd to elaborate on this.

bigfeller
11-25-2010, 08:01 AM
E36s often have a faint coolant smell. If it's a strong smell, there could be a problem.

Check the heater core- as mentioned- and if you haven't already done so, replace your ENTIRE cooling system; rad, waterpump, t-stat housing, hoses, and expansion tank. There are kits for this that cost less than $400; way cheaper than doing a head gasket for an overheated engine.