PDA

View Full Version : car is driveable ... but problems?

bahasad
11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
This is my first car, and the first BMW in the fam. 1995 318IS auto. Basically, I got the water pumped changed and the auxiliary fan (i believe fixed). But I still don't know what is wrong with the car. As you can probably tell, I am really confused and don't know where to go:

1) Car has a rough idle at times. Yesterday when I revved the engine while it was on drive (lightly I might add), the car went all funny on me and black smoke came out. After a few seconds, idle rpms started bouncing, and car could not start. Today car starts fine and idle seems to be ok, the last two times I started it and drove it.

2) Driving experience: Car had a sorta jerky 1-2 upshift I believe. Don't really know why. Happened once. Brakes are terrible - spongy brake pedal, even though apparently they were changed 2 years ago. Wheel vibration around 60 km/hr - it's not constant, but it randomly does it. Also, I don't know but it feels sorta down on power and fuel economy isn't looking too great.

I am assuming these problems aren't TOO severe - I am predicting it needs a definite tune up (all fluids changed, spark plugs changed, filters replaced, ICV cleaned, O2 sensors), brakes cleaned, alignment, and bushings. Now my question is what should I do from here? Should I just take it to a shop (can't take it to RMP since it is relatively far from Scarborough and I don't feel safe driving the car that much distance)? I have already paid a good amount on towing the car around, and I would really prefer it if an HONEST mechanic/person could come take a look at the car and give me advice on what to do, cause I already got ripped off by 1 store that charged me $440 to change the waterpump and "look at the auxiliary fan"/

Sorry if i'm all over the place but these small niggling issues are killing me cause I really like the car otherwise and I feel that it has a good amount of life left in it.

Mystikal
11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience at another shop. As we stated when the car was here (for diagnostic purposes only, we did not do any work to the car) it needs quite a bit of work, but the chassis and interior are far too nice to think about giving up on it. Good luck!

damameke
11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
This is my first car, and the first BMW in the fam. 1995 318IS auto. Basically, I got the water pumped changed and the auxiliary fan (i believe fixed). But I still don't know what is wrong with the car. As you can probably tell, I am really confused and don't know where to go:

1) Car has a rough idle at times. Yesterday when I revved the engine while it was on drive (lightly I might add), the car went all funny on me and black smoke came out. After a few seconds, idle rpms started bouncing, and car could not start. Today car starts fine and idle seems to be ok, the last two times I started it and drove it.

2) Driving experience: Car had a sorta jerky 1-2 upshift I believe. Don't really know why. Happened once. Brakes are terrible - spongy brake pedal, even though apparently they were changed 2 years ago. Wheel vibration around 60 km/hr - it's not constant, but it randomly does it. Also, I don't know but it feels sorta down on power and fuel economy isn't looking too great.

I am assuming these problems aren't TOO severe - I am predicting it needs a definite tune up (all fluids changed, spark plugs changed, filters replaced, ICV cleaned, O2 sensors), brakes cleaned, alignment, and bushings. Now my question is what should I do from here? Should I just take it to a shop (can't take it to RMP since it is relatively far from Scarborough and I don't feel safe driving the car that much distance)? I have already paid a good amount on towing the car around, and I would really prefer it if an HONEST mechanic/person could come take a look at the car and give me advice on what to do, cause I already got ripped off by 1 store that charged me $440 to change the waterpump and "look at the auxiliary fan"/

Sorry if i'm all over the place but these small niggling issues are killing me cause I really like the car otherwise and I feel that it has a good amount of life left in it.

kinda surprised that you were willing to tow($$$) that car around and not get it done at StanceFactory since its the closest...and its hard to believe that their opinions were not Honest !!! since their feedback are pretty good...

Give them a call and get all your issues fix..

E36is
11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
+1 on stancefactory, had the e30 pre-inspected by them and jay was very honest on what he had found, as well as cost of repairs... unfortunately because i live in burlington now, i had to get it done closer to home.

parm
11-23-2010, 02:12 PM
You can't go wrong with Stance Factory regarding price or anything else, I am dealing exclusively with Stance Factory!

Parm

TheMadChigga
11-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Welcome to owning an used BMW, its like playing Russian roulette, you never know when you need to change something, but when it works, it makes you smile.

I think your car is about to blow up, I'll buy it off you tonight for $200.

blk325i
11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
$250

TheMadChigga
11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
$250

shit, $251, and a case of 4 loko, its worth its own weight in gold by next year's frosh week.

bahasad
11-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I drove the car today to get the brakes changed. whilst driving it, i sort of changed my mind. I absolutely love the car and how it drives, and the problems aren't THAT bad really - i mean they seem fairly standard maintenance. Anyways took it to a bigger shop and I was recommended to:
- Change Brake Pads/Rotors
- Change Tie Rods
- Change All 4 Tires
- Alignment
- Bushings
- Engine Tune Up + cleaning MAF/ICV/ etc.
- AC Belt/Alternator Belt
so far i went through with upgrading all 4 brakes to brembo pads, rotors, and calipers. Next thing I will do is change tires along with tie rods and bushings. Thinking of upgrading to bigger 16 or 17 inch tires, and M3 rims. I figured the car has too much life left in it to give up on. And it feels so smooth :).

edit: i'm prolly gonna end up buying another cheap car as a DD with the money i was gonna end up buying a bmw with anyways. this one will be a weekend cruiser.

bmdbley'sBro
11-25-2010, 09:39 PM
hmm you should buy my turbo 318is (5 speed)..*angel* slight steering shake, some minor rear arch, lower front fender, & rocker Rust.

the rocker rust is on the under side.

bahasad
11-25-2010, 11:28 PM
love your car and your rims. just curious, how much are you looking for? (i am keeping my car btw).