PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers...anyone try the cheapies?

yellowfever3
11-20-2010, 11:46 AM
trying to figure out which suspension setup to go with without breaking the bank. i was looking at the ksport coilover set. seems like a pretty good deal, variable spring rates, 36 way adjustable dampening for around a grand. anyone have suggestions or had experience with those? i have a 98 e36 coupe with 18" style 5's

iverson03tj
11-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Yes racelands... i love them... good ride and the only thing is... i would get a more stiffer front springs because i bottomed mine a bit:P... and u can choose ur spring rate with raceland btw.. the race lands are the cheapest... but for a grand im pretty sure u can get like the bilstein ones... i think...

BTW 18's are big rims... :) does it rub? and whats the tire size

Jonesin
11-23-2010, 12:57 AM
trying to figure out which suspension setup to go with without breaking the bank. i was looking at the ksport coilover set. seems like a pretty good deal, variable spring rates, 36 way adjustable dampening for around a grand. anyone have suggestions or had experience with those? i have a 98 e36 coupe with 18" style 5's
Yes racelands... i love them... good ride and the only thing is... i would get a more stiffer front springs because i bottomed mine a bit:P... and u can choose ur spring rate with raceland btw.. the race lands are the cheapest... but for a grand im pretty sure u can get like the bilstein ones... i think...

BTW 18's are big rims... :) does it rub? and whats the tire size

A couple points on this subject that has been beaten to death on the 'Big' forums. (The Fest and BF.c.)

For a grand you're nearly into H&R Bilstein territory. If you're spending that much go for them.

To save cash like I did (I just took a 73% pay cut to go back to school) you get Racelands like suggested here. They're great for the money. I've had 'em on for 6 months now and have had no issues. I've been to Calabogie, and I've Auto Crossed. A good friend of mine Auto X's with his Racelands very regularly.

My experience has only been negative with the rears. Unlike iverson, I really like the fronts on my set, it's the rears I find just a touch too soft for track use. I'll be replacing them soonest with stiffer rear springs.

For 18s, another buddy had 19s on his '94 325is. and they only required a hint of stretch and roll.

Ed.

Sunny87
11-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Riding on Racelands, I think they are ok for just driving on day to day. I previously had tiens on a 240 and have ridden on various other COs on other peoples cars and found them better.

And like the previous poster, perhaps a different spring setup may help. I got them for 400$ and was pleased with what i received for 400$.

doogee
11-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Spend the extra money on something that will last and is actually thought out for the track.

Racelands and Teins make no sense. Mainly when they put a softer spring in the back than the front....

Jonesin
11-23-2010, 01:22 AM
I agree with the above, however, in my case, they're merely an temporary fix, that doesn't break the bank, and hold up very well for DD use from everyone that I've talked to that has owned them. That's a strong endorsement. 100% customer satisfaction to the several dozen people I know that DD, AutoX and occasionally track their cars.

doogee
11-23-2010, 01:23 AM
I agree with the above, however, in my case, they're merely an temporary fix, that doesn't break the bank, and hold up very well for DD use from everyone that I've talked to that has owned them. That's a strong endorsement. 100% customer satisfaction to the several dozen people I know that DD, AutoX and occasionally track their cars.

A friend of mine who used to own them would strongly disagree.

Sunny87
11-23-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm sure everyone is going to tell you to go for a better / more expensive route for a good reason too, but you should justify it with your needs / wants.

If you're going to track it, i'm almost certain that you will be happier with another setup.

iverson03tj
11-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Yea but i dont think the OP is interesting in tracking... and i like how the suspension is for DD... i dont think u will feel a difference on normal roads, but i bet its a huge difference on the track.

doogee
11-23-2010, 03:05 AM
Yea but i dont think the OP is interesting in tracking... and i like how the suspension is for DD... i dont think u will feel a difference on normal roads, but i bet its a huge difference on the track.

In my friends case, they just didn't last. The street is harsher than the track.

iverson03tj
11-23-2010, 03:12 AM
In my friends case, they just didn't last. The street is harsher than the track.

+1 Toronto needs roads like in swedish have:)

ACS_DAN
11-23-2010, 03:54 AM
I have Rokkor Coils on mine. They look pretty good for what I paid for them. ONLY thing that bothers me though is the rear shocks. They look like If I were to arm wrestle them, they'd loose. I can't see them lasting too long, but when they do go I'll be looking at a different set of rear shocks. I'd even go so far to say that they look a good size smaller(Thinner) than the stock units.

Seem fine for what I want them to do. Strictly street, and flipping bitches when I spot some Beezies sitting in a purple Jetta in a Tim hortons parking lot.

=p

richie_s999
11-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm looking into TRM coil overs. Choice of spring rates, match bump/rebound adjustment on one knob and come with front camber plates. Kits around $1600.

Anyone have these yet??

InfiniteDice
11-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Piecing together my own over winter, roughly $80 a corner for the fronts but can't quote me yet. I'm thinking of 225 Front and 375 Rear. The rears I haven't figured out yet, as they are just adjustable spring seats essentially on the e30.

When I get some actual numbers and photos I'll post them here.

E30 Kid
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
i have KW's and their amazing :D

Axxe
11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm looking into TRM coil overs. Choice of spring rates, match bump/rebound adjustment on one knob and come with front camber plates. Kits around $1600.

Anyone have these yet??

I am looking at these too. Maybe we should set up a Canadian group buy or something? The price is great for the product and reviews I've heard. I would be looking to buy in the spring though, not now.

richie_s999
11-24-2010, 07:23 AM
I am looking at these too. Maybe we should set up a Canadian group buy or something? The price is great for the product and reviews I've heard. I would be looking to buy in the spring though, not now.

I'll be looking to order spring time as well, as long as maintance is all good. Definatly ok with splitting shipping to save a few bucks, group buy would be nice but can't comite 100% and don't think I have seen a sucessful group buy on max yet.

yellowfever3
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM
the trm coilovers are pretty expensive. they look pretty good. and unlike the h&rs in that price range, they are adjustable dampening. im looking for a comfortable ride for day to day driving, with occasional track use. I'm pretty sure that even with the raceland setup you are going to get better handling than the stock setup. although i could be wrong. and looking at the XYZ suspesnion, it looks like pretty good bang for your buck. the only thing im concerned about with H&R is your spending over 1500 and you cant adjust the stiffness of the shocks. and the bilsteins are closer to 2000. so im just wondering if its worth it to even go with these other companies, or hold out till i can afford the well known brands.

BMXWill
12-01-2010, 12:28 PM
If you drive an M3 Raceland's totally aren't for you. Definitely not better than stock suspension and the strut housing doesn't have the proper mount for the M3 style sway bar endlink. You would have to convert to the 328 style endlink, weld a bracket on the housing or buy the clamping style bracket. After all that you would still be left with a terrible coilover. Learn from my mistake and buy a good setup from the start, it's worth the money.

Think of cheaping out on suspension as the same as neglecting to take your newborn baby to the doctor when it gets sick.. You're just playing with lives!

cdmbmw
12-01-2010, 04:22 PM
A couple points on this subject that has been beaten to death on the 'Big' forums. (The Fest and BF.c.)
Ed.

*wave*

richie_s999
12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
the trm coilovers are pretty expensive. they look pretty good. and unlike the h&rs in that price range, they are adjustable dampening. im looking for a comfortable ride for day to day driving, with occasional track use. I'm pretty sure that even with the raceland setup you are going to get better handling than the stock setup. although i could be wrong. and looking at the XYZ suspesnion, it looks like pretty good bang for your buck. the only thing im concerned about with H&R is your spending over 1500 and you cant adjust the stiffness of the shocks. and the bilsteins are closer to 2000. so im just wondering if its worth it to even go with these other companies, or hold out till i can afford the well known brands.

Hold on. You paid a premium for an M3, and then say TRMs (price includes from camber plates) is expensive? Why pay that much more for an M3 then cheap out on the parts u put on it.

doogee
12-01-2010, 05:28 PM
TRM seem like a decent buy. In my opinion, they aren't expensive but they aren't cheap either.

I've heard good things about them. The only draw back I see is the adjuster changes rebound and compression. So you don't even get the option to control one of the two separately.

The camber plates are pretty chinsy. No adjustment for extra caster, camber adjustment looks minimal. But, it's nice they give you something rather than have to go out and buy new stock mounts.

If you're looking for real adjustability, you'll want to get some plates from either GC, Vorschlag, TcKline etc.

Axxe
12-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Well, the camber plates have built in caster into them. They also come with RSM's. They had them going on special for $1400 for a short while, at that price they are the best deal around. I wouldn't really worry about having rebound and compression tied together, it's still better than having only rebound control.

yellowfever3
12-01-2010, 11:40 PM
and i think most of the street coilovers, even the bilstein and middle line h&r dont let you control rebound and compression seperately. I'm pretty sure its only in a high end suspension line. And Richie, im just looking for the best deal for the car. because 1000 is a lot of money and so is the extra 600 for the bigger names. i just saw how cheap the raceland system is, i wouldnt wanna put those on the car. maybe if your only purpose was ride height adjustment. i'm always really weary about buying aftermarket parts. it seems like most of the time its just a headache. so if im going through the headache, i dont want to feel like i got screwed too!

doogee
12-02-2010, 12:38 AM
and i think most of the street coilovers, even the bilstein and middle line h&r dont let you control rebound and compression seperately. I'm pretty sure its only in a high end suspension line. And Richie, im just looking for the best deal for the car. because 1000 is a lot of money and so is the extra 600 for the bigger names. i just saw how cheap the raceland system is, i wouldnt wanna put those on the car. maybe if your only purpose was ride height adjustment. i'm always really weary about buying aftermarket parts. it seems like most of the time its just a headache. so if im going through the headache, i dont want to feel like i got screwed too!

If you want something cheap, get some PSS9's. Compression adjustable.

JazzM
12-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Just received a set of inverted ASTs. Had TCKs before (SAs) and loved them. Willing to give the ASTs a shot. They are a little more than a grand though ;)

Was also considering the TRMs until the ASTs came up on a deal I couldn't pass up.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t172/jazzmz3/photo1.jpg

T.

yellowfever3
12-04-2010, 02:14 PM
awesome, let me know how they are! im really considering the B&G coilovers. for under 1500 doesnt seem like that bad a deal. plus a lifetime warranty.