PDA

View Full Version : Rear Light help

Bimmer p.i.
11-10-2010, 11:26 AM
My rear left light isn't working.

The reverse and brake lights work, and I swapped the bulb, but that didn't help. The right side (passenger) lights all work fine.

My onboard display is VERY pixilated, and is saying something about a circuit? That might not even be related to the light, I dunno.

Is there a seperate fuse just for each rear light? I doubt it, but doesn't hurt to ask, right?

So, before I make an appointment at the garage, what are possible reasons for the rear light to not work if the bulbs are new?

simplycars
11-10-2010, 11:58 AM
it might be the actual light that has problem with burn circuit - needs to be resoldered

Ceeker
11-10-2010, 11:59 AM
My rear left light isn't working.

The reverse and brake lights work, and I swapped the bulb, but that didn't help. The right side (passenger) lights all work fine.

My onboard display is VERY pixilated, and is saying something about a circuit? That might not even be related to the light, I dunno.

Is there a seperate fuse just for each rear light? I doubt it, but doesn't hurt to ask, right?

So, before I make an appointment at the garage, what are possible reasons for the rear light to not work if the bulbs are new?

on e36 models it was common for the circuit board on the actual tail light to get corrosion. Remove the bulb panel and take the bulbs out and inspect the socket and surrounding area. this was/is a common problem. get a used replacement panel to test it. most likely the problem.

Bimmer p.i.
11-10-2010, 01:19 PM
any chance there's a pic or diagram of what the circuit board looks like?

I assume it's not just the 'stick' thingy that the bulb goes into, then locks into place - but rather the area that it locks into behind the lense?

Bimmer p.i.
11-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Turned out to be a short in the wiring tucked under the trunk - lights a work again and trunk lock on the key remote works now too! Yay Autovation!

hockeyfan27
11-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Turned out to be a short in the wiring tucked under the trunk - lights a work again and trunk lock on the key remote works now too! Yay Autovation!

I'm having this same problem, can you describe/take a pick of where the short was!?

thanks in advance!

Bimmer p.i.
11-18-2010, 12:14 PM
The mechanic had the trunk lid 'liner' off - where the tool kit is - and the wiring fed through holes in the metal of the trunk lid itself. There was some fraying, so the wiring had to be re-soldered (although I'm sure crimping tubes could work, too in absence of a soldering iron)

Hope that helps

hockeyfan27
11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
That's great, At least I have a starting point.

Thanks!

tg07lq
12-11-2010, 04:04 PM
another common issue is where the wires route through the trunk lid, the whole harness can be had for ~110 from the stealer to replace it p/n 61.12-8368 011