PDA

View Full Version : Head Swap?

Bimmer p.i.
11-09-2010, 02:24 PM
When I bought my 328, it had an oil leak in the head gasket - I'll just go with the 'perpetual oil change' til springtime, then have the gasket replaced.

Question is - during the repair, are there any upgrades worth doing while the top end of the motor is apart?

Are there after-market heads for an M52 engine, like there was for my old 440 Dodge?

Maybe change out the intake manifold or anything else recommended to squeeze a few more ponies outta the old girl?

I tried reading the M3 vs M52 thread, but the fighting just turned me away, and I didn't find any answers.

ScotcH
11-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Cams is about the only upgrade, then port and polish. The M3 and 328 heads are identical except for cams. Btw, you sure it's the headgasket and not the valve cover gasket? The VC gasket is a 30min job you can do at home. M50 manifold is definitely a great upgrade if it's off anyway.

Bimmer p.i.
11-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm fairly certain it's the head gasket,and not just the VC -

what is the cost vs. benefit of a cam swap?

Also, where can one get an M50 Manifold - again how much and to what benefit? I'd definitely consider the cam/manifold changes if it's worth it, since it'll be apart, anyway.

I'd have Mike at Autovation do the work, so I'm confident it'd be done right.

ScotcH
11-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Intake you can buy at scrap yards. In Ottawa that's Euro Parts in Aylmer, or from the supporting vendors here (Eurostyle, etc). Will be $100-150. Cams are $300-500. Cams, M50 intake, a 3.5" HFM ($300) and a good tune ($300-600) will put you at 200-215 rwhp, which is about 40-50 hp more than stock ... VERY noticible.

Bimmer p.i.
11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Hfm is a cold-air intake, isn't it? I have that already with a K&N cone filter

ScotcH
11-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Hfm is a cold-air intake, isn't it? I have that already with a K&N cone filter

No, HFM is hot film meter, basically the MAF, sits between the intake and Throttle body. Stock your engine comes wit ha 3" one. The 3.5" one is needed to support higher flow, and is mapped differently. Again, need sftware for all this, or its a waste (except the m50).

Bimmer p.i.
11-10-2010, 10:22 AM
ah ok - I didn't know that, thanks. Perhaps I'll spend the winter collecting the parts, then get'm installed come spring. 40-50 extra horses seems like a nice jump. I appreciate the info.

ScotcH
11-10-2010, 11:26 AM
ah ok - I didn't know that, thanks. Perhaps I'll spend the winter collecting the parts, then get'm installed come spring. 40-50 extra horses seems like a nice jump. I appreciate the info.

No prob. Hit me up if you need parts as I can get them at good preices. New OE and replacement parts, as well as performance and race parts.