PDA

View Full Version : I'm semi-back... 328is

Daonhathai
11-02-2010, 11:02 PM
K, earlier this year I bought a 318i which I ended up getting rid off rather quickly. However, I just picked up a 1998 BMW 328is for my dad to daily drive and need some bugs worked out.

The window, when it goes up makes a somewhat concerning "clack" sound like it's hitting something (also doesn't seal right as road noise is pronounced quite irritatingly). The radio needs a code (anyone?), and no phillips or torque driver seems to fit the 2 screws on the back of the steering wheel since whoever replaced the wheel didn't put it on straight. A little light shed on these matters would be greatly appreciated... or for some cash, if someone could address these issues for me, that'd be great too!

Cheers.

E36is
11-03-2010, 05:03 AM
re: window

take off door car and clean/lube up the window track channel and motor gears. probably some dirt or garbage blocking the movement.

re: radio

take out the radio, bring it a dealership nearest you and ask them to give you the code, bring your ownership too. they will provide the code for you.

re: screws

could be stripped.

$50 dollars for my suggestions should do it.

Daonhathai
11-04-2010, 12:41 AM
^Thanks for the feedback.

Took off the door panel today, and a few nuts were loose, the problem isn't exactly fixed per say, but the whistle noise from the wind and other road noises have quieted down to a bearable volume. Probably just going to replace the door as I suspect it has been lightly hit in the past.

Haven't looked into the radio deck yet, nor can I locate any cd player (yes it is supposed to have a cd player ("cd" button on the deck), probably just going to swap it out with an aftermarket unit.

Replaced the rotors today as well for peace of mind and having the steering wheel issue resolved tomorrow afternoon!

All is not well however, the car now randomly just shuts off at idle or at a stop (maybe about 1 out of every 10-12 stops). Possibly just needs a new battery or alternator? Anyone? BTW it's an auto.

E36is
11-04-2010, 05:13 AM
idle shutdown, im suspecting its the idle control valve, or throttle position sensor. clean the connections first and see if that corrects it, if not, get a new or used one.

the cd is usually located in the trunk, its a black box that houses a 6 cd cartridge. keep it stock.

Daonhathai
11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
idle shutdown, im suspecting its the idle control valve, or throttle position sensor. clean the connections first and see if that corrects it, if not, get a new or used one.

the cd is usually located in the trunk, its a black box that houses a 6 cd cartridge. keep it stock.

Okay, I'll give that a shot. As for the CD player, I lifted up the trunk carpet, didn't find anything that would resemble a CD changer, previous owner mustve kept it =/

Thanks again.

Daonhathai
11-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Does anyone have a service reset tool?

Daonhathai
11-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Not sure why or how but my clutch fan decided to explode a few seconds after I opened up the throttle all the way just to see what the pickup on the car was like compared to my others. My fan shroud and radiator are kaput as well so parts are ordered. Going to probably have RMP look over the car to see what sort of maintenance and upkeep it needs and could use. Definately want to take advantage of the oil change, inspection, and rust proof deal.

Daonhathai
11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Because my dad will driving this car I want to make sure the car runs smooth and everything for him. I know a lot of you guys put 91 octane gas in the tank, but would 87 or 89 suffice?

E36is
11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
i have a m50 with a markD chip, been using and running 87 for 2 yrs now, and no pinging or loss of power. go for it.

Daonhathai
11-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks, I would assume it will be okay without any sort of ecu reflash or tuning though?

E36is
11-10-2010, 04:49 AM
with the MarkD chip its programmed to use 91 octane. OEM ecu will be fine.

Daonhathai
11-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Put 89 compared to 87, huge difference.

richie_s999
11-11-2010, 10:18 AM
clutch fan explosion, check your motor mounts, mine hit the rad cause of a bad mount, luckly the rad won and just deleted the clutch fan.

As for gas, chipped or not your susposed to run 91 in the 325is, shell 91 has no ethenol and get the best milage/power (power could be in my head) but usually hit 600 to 700 km on 50 to 60L

JvzwetE36325
11-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I always run atleast 91, our cars have knock sensors though, so basically it adjusts your timing to your fuel. If you put in 87 you'll loose throttle response and power (but should be fine) higher octane opens it up ;) and i also get slightly better gas mileage, (offsets extra cost by a little) i overall prefer higher octane, I used to always go to sunoco, but now petro owns the ultra 94 brand :( so its either 94 from petro or 91 from shell for me *th-up*

Daonhathai
11-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Like I've said, I really notice a difference between 87 and 89, I'll try 91 on my next fill-up.

Currently in the process of collecting parts and misc. for a full-tune up.
I still have a 4.4L jug of Castrol 10w40 GTX anti-sludge oil which I was using on my Highlander so I'm going to be most likely using that. Other items I've already bought for the tune-up are:
-Champion Copper single prong plugs
-Fram Air Filter
-Fram Oil Filter
-Wiper Blades
-Driver Front Wheel Bearing

I'm going to be changing the tranny/PS (car is automatic) and diff oil, any cost effective recommendations? The car is not being driven hard at all and will see about 300kms a week tops (20 minute commute to work one way for my dad and some extra driving throughout the week). I was going to buy some Motormaster diff and tranny fluid but figured I should get some input first as I don't have time until Sunday to do all this anyway. I also have a BNIB Mazda RX-7 fuel filter and was thinking of replacing the bmw one with that one as a fuel filter is... just a fuel filter. I'd imagine there wouldn't be anything special between different run-off-the-mill vehicles.

I'm also experiencing some odd blinking/flickering of the "engine oil" located at the top middle between the speedometer and RPM gauges. This only occurs when I am on the brakes in drive at a stop, the flickering happens more rapidly and appears brighter if the gas tank is on low (orange bar emits a steady glow). Any ideas?

Lastly, if someone has one of those service check resetter tools, I'd appreciate it if my car be ressetted sometime next week. Let me know how you take your coffee/price, thanks.

Daonhathai
11-11-2010, 08:52 PM

I've cleaned the connectors and all others around the TB just to be sure I'm getting the two. The car doesn't do it as often, but once a while will still either shut down or hesitate on acceleration. I'm guessing I'd have to replace one or the other at this point (or both...).

richie_s999
11-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Did u say Mazda fuel filter on a BMW ???

Daonhathai
11-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Well, it's not Mazda Specific. I inteded to use it on one of my RX-7's. I believe it was a Bosch or Denso, it was a universal since (at the time) mazda RX-7 OEM one was like $50+ and I got this for $30, I trust either name whichever one it is. If BMW has make and/or model SPECIFIC fuel filters then I'll go an order one, otherwise, I don't see the harm here from using universal filters.

JvzwetE36325
11-11-2010, 10:05 PM
What is it that you're trying to reset? Just your Oil service light? I found a great diy, can be done in 3 minutes :P
http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/02/24/reset-bmw-e36-oil-service-light/

Daonhathai
11-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks a bunch!

The more I drive the car, the more I love it. Now I want to keep it from my dad ahaha! Too bad it's auto =(

Daonhathai
12-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Just wondering if a 94 318is icv is interchangeable with a 98 328is?
Also, experiencing the rear passenger side of the carpet flooding with water, any ideas?

richie_s999
12-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Just wondering if a 94 318is icv is interchangeable with a 98 328is?
Also, experiencing the rear passenger side of the carpet flooding with water, any ideas?

Look up the parts on www.realoem.com

if the part numbers are the same then they are the same part