PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs/Fuel Filter

Bimmer p.i.
10-20-2010, 09:19 PM
I am looking to do a swap of the fuel filter and spark plugs - as someone used to doing my own work, is this something that I can do myself, or should I get a trained 'professional'?

Where is the filter on the 2.8? What is needed for the change? My Challenger had it along the fuel line from the carburetor, so all one needed was a screw driver to loosen the 'O' clamps, and voila!

Is the fuel filter accessible without tearing down half of the motor?

...and the plugs? same question - easily accessible, or need to get past a lot of stuff?

thanks guys!

propr'one
10-20-2010, 09:44 PM
its under the car somewhere under a cover, i forget exactly where. follow the fuel lines. its very, very easy. spark plugs too, just make sure you dont leave #4 untorqued and then not notice for a year like i did.

doogee
10-20-2010, 09:56 PM
If you don't know where the sparkplugs or fuel filter are, you might not want to try it on your own.

Search for tutorials online.

///M-TRD3
10-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Both pretty straight forward jobs. But not to worry, you gotta start somewhere. Here is a great DIY for the sparks, keep it open while you do it if you'd like (the pictures should make it very easy to follow). I believe they have the same thing for the fuel filter on that site as well. Goodluck! Like all spark plug jobs, careful when you are threading the new ones in to ensure proper thread/fit.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Spark-Plugs/E36-Spark-Plugs.htm

Bimmer p.i.
10-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys - I was just popping on to edit the thread as I found a great source for the filter swap - including pulling the fuse. Figure itll save $$ in the long run to do the work myself.

Bimmer p.i.
10-27-2010, 03:44 PM
So I have the filter and will install it tomorrow

my next is about the plugs - is there a particular brand that you guys suggest/recommend?

What is the gap for the 328? Dang, I need a manual.

JvzwetE36325
10-27-2010, 10:12 PM
I heard the copper ones are actually the best. I'll check my manual for a gap *th-up*

JvzwetE36325
10-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Ok. My Bmw owners manual says

Bosch F 7 L DC R
NGK BKR 6 EK (my pick)

Nothing about gaps in that, but i got my Haynes right here
Haynes says 0.035 inch (which i believe is standard gap) They also say
Champion RC9YC For 2.5L and 4-cyl
Champion R12YC For 2.8L
Thats all i got, Hope this helps!

Bimmer p.i.
10-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Autovation recommended the Bosch '4'

Fuel filter is changed but I notice that I still have a bit of 'chug-chug'chug' when I give'r. I thought the filter was clogged and starving the engine, now I have to swap the plugs - then if the problem persists - I dunno. :-(

///M-TRD3
10-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Read this thread, it should answer all your questions. Cheers.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109024

Bimmer p.i.
10-28-2010, 06:55 PM
thanks for the link - interesting read. I am optimistic that Derek @ Autovation knows what he's doing and will order me the right ones (Bosch '4's he said)

Axxe
10-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Bosch 4 is garbage. Do not go with them. The simplest copper plug is best, even though it doesn't last the longest it is the best in terms of performance and fuel economy. The bosch 4's are platinum and absolute crap. Had them in my E30 and it ran like shit until I replaced them with OE spec plugs (single ground copper).

Dr. Flyview
10-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Bosch 4 is garbage. Do not go with them. The simplest copper plug is best, even though it doesn't last the longest it is the best in terms of performance and fuel economy. The bosch 4's are platinum and absolute crap. Had them in my E30 and it ran like shit until I replaced them with OE spec plugs (single ground copper).

That would be correct. Return the Bosch 4's.

5style
10-29-2010, 07:00 PM
maybe your fuel pump is on its way out, icv, maf leaks, etc, cold temp start switch, that bastard causes some shit

Bimmer p.i.
11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
well I swapped the fuel filter, changed the plugs and gave a good cleaning to the K&N cone filter, and she's running AMAZING (!) like night and day!

I have to go tomorrow and replace the cam sensor cuz it's bunged up, but I think that either the filter was clogged and the engine was starved for air, or a plug wan't firing right, but either way both matters are fixed and she is running great! No chug-chug - just a lotta get up n' go! woohoo!

JvzwetE36325
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Awesome! Good job man! *th-up*

Axxe
11-03-2010, 12:25 AM
well I swapped the fuel filter, changed the plugs and gave a good cleaning to the K&N cone filter, and she's running AMAZING (!) like night and day!

I have to go tomorrow and replace the cam sensor cuz it's bunged up, but I think that either the filter was clogged and the engine was starved for air, or a plug wan't firing right, but either way both matters are fixed and she is running great! No chug-chug - just a lotta get up n' go! woohoo!

Which plugs did you use?

Bimmer p.i.
11-03-2010, 05:30 PM
well, since I already had the Bosch I just went with them for now - come Spring, since I know how to do them, I can just go to copper ones then.