PDA

View Full Version : E36 Ride Height

Steve30
10-18-2010, 04:56 PM
What's the ideal ride height for our cars optimal handling? I know too low can have adverse affects on handling and I think I'm too low at the moment.

richie_s999
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
It's not so much hieght as suspension angles after dropping, and spring rates and damping, hence why adjustable shocks are better, and sometimes swaybars factor in. Maybe contact a shop that also sets up track cars and inquire about how to get it to handle like a dream.

ScotcH
10-18-2010, 09:29 PM
What do you have for suspension? With a full race suspension, we were at around 5.5" front and 6" rear. this was measured at the jack points. That is a pretty ideal camber and bump steer curve for the e36. Any lower, and you need rol lcenter and bump steer correction. Higher is OK as well, if your suspension can't handle being that low. You NEED travel in your shocks as the last thing you want is to hit bump stops during full compression.

Steve30
10-18-2010, 09:32 PM
KW V3's and thanks for those numbers, exactly what I was looking for. I'll try them out along with KW's recommended rebound and compression settings.

What do you have for suspension? With a full race suspension, we were at around 5.5" front and 6" rear. this was measured at the jack points. That is a pretty ideal camber and bump steer curve for the e36. Any lower, and you need rol lcenter and bump steer correction. Higher is OK as well, if your suspension can't handle being that low. You NEED travel in your shocks as the last thing you want is to hit bump stops during full compression.

doogee
10-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Just remember it isn't really worth stressing over unless you're tuning your car for the track.

You'll never notice these things on the street.

craz azn
10-19-2010, 12:15 AM
just remember it isn't really worth stressing over unless you're tuning your car for the track.

You'll never notice these things on the street.

+1.

The only thing suspension related that will hurt you on the street is wild camber settings. Lack of contact patch FTL. Don't take my E30 as an example either :D

Steve30
10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on doing some driver training courses at mosport and hpde's in the spring/summer. After being in the scene for a while, I realized how important learning how to use the car is rather than throwing money/mods at it and expecting it to perform.

rider-.
10-19-2010, 03:04 PM

sorry to threadjack but what height do you set up your e46s at. and is there any aftermarket rollcenter and bump steer correction available for e46's. the only thing i have seen is tie rod correction, but doesnt the control arm also have to be corrected to change roll center back to normal? sorry I am new to this I have just started to read a little into suspension, so I may be wrong.

ScotcH
10-19-2010, 03:35 PM
The e46 is similar, but we have the rear a bit lower ... it's almost equal. This keeps the rear end planted, otherwise it's a bit tail happy (the e46 seems to have better front end mechanical grip). BimmerWorld carries kits for e36 and e46 for roll center correction.

Steve30
10-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Does the measurement include the jacking pad or not? it makes up for a good 3/4".

ScotcH
10-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Does the measurement include the jacking pad or not? it makes up for a good 3/4".

no jack pad