PDA

View Full Version : E36 Swap

luckee13
10-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Hey guys! *wave*

Im new to this forum and new to the RWD vehicle :P I currently own a 1998 Honda prelude stock, I had a 2000 a couple of years ago and I modded it as much as I could and went to the track and had blast, now im looking on doing the same thing this time RWD style :D

I just purchased a 1994 318i 4dr with 317xxx KM ( at a steal for $100 ) Its missing its speakers and the left side rear windows cracked and thats no biggy as it is my project car!

The body's in mint condition and the car actually starts with the first try! It has its problems, but I initially purchased the vehicle as my first RWD project car.

My plan: I would like to rebuild the 1994 four door E36 M3!!! I love M3's and I would like to build one. Ive researched here and there and I know that the S50 and the S52 are a perfect match. Now I need your expert opinions, and had a few questions. Would I be able to buy the M3 engine and transmission ECU and the axel and pretty much bolt on? Has anyone done this? Where should I be looking on buying the engine and ect?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I will post pictures of this beast as soon as I get my camera!

richie_s999
10-01-2010, 03:23 AM
There is more then motor and tranny to build an m3 outa a shell. Suspension, brakes, reinforced floor mounts for the subframe, diff, larger axle shafts, and body peices.... Try and find a wrecked m3

If u want a real m3 you need to find a euro motor, lots more power then the north American version.

Or there is always the small block swap !!

(don't think there was a 94 4dr m3, and the only 94 m3's where euro specs they somehow snuck through)

luckee13
10-01-2010, 01:58 PM
There is more then motor and tranny to build an m3 outa a shell. Suspension, brakes, reinforced floor mounts for the subframe, diff, larger axle shafts, and body peices.... Try and find a wrecked m3

If u want a real m3 you need to find a euro motor, lots more power then the north American version.

Or there is always the small block swap !!

(don't think there was a 94 4dr m3, and the only 94 m3's where euro specs they somehow snuck through)

Suspension,brakes and ect well be a most for sure!

Initially available as a coupé only, BMW introduced M3 convertible/cabriolet and saloon/sedan versions in 1994

I believe your right, but my intentions to rebuild it, and I have been told the that the Euro engine is much better like you mentioned.
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/faq/S50_B32_Engine.jpg

good idea on the M3 wreck... Im gonna look into that option :)

doogee
10-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Keep in mind this is going to cost you between $10-20,000 to do...

T.Dot_E30
10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
You might as well buy a 4dr m3, for $8-10k.

doogee
10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
You might as well buy a 4dr m3, for $8-10k.

Exactly

richie_s999
10-01-2010, 05:31 PM
OP did say it's a project car, while it is sometimes cheaper to buy already done he may enjoy the build process.

It's getting hard to find a M3 that doesn't need some fourm of work, no matter how well it seems to taken care of, excpecially a 4dr. Even at 10 grand it's gonna need something, not to mention if it's stock it's gonna need upgrades.

dejan_da_dude
10-20-2010, 08:05 PM
I did a e36 318 1993 body to a m3 conversion and luckly I actually bought it for a good price, but my friend who i bought it from spend 9 grand for the engine, deff,tranny,exhaust,suspention, lighter flywheel, new clutch, and then i tore out the Rear subframe(Common issue)

richie_s999
10-21-2010, 12:04 AM
I did a e36 318 1993 body to a m3 conversion and luckly I actually bought it for a good price, but my friend who i bought it from spend 9 grand for the engine, deff,tranny,exhaust,suspention, lighter flywheel, new clutch, and then i tore out the Rear subframe(Common issue)

then a full m3 conversion was not done, the M3 came with reinforcement plates on the floor of the car at the subframe mounts, you can get them along with alot of reinforcement peices as a kit from Turner for $200....if these plates are not installed, its not gonna handle the M3 motor, which is why these plates were used on the M3

doogee
10-21-2010, 12:16 AM
then a full m3 conversion was not done, the M3 came with reinforcement plates on the floor of the car at the subframe mounts, you can get them along with alot of reinforcement peices as a kit from Turner for $200....if these plates are not installed, its not gonna handle the M3 motor, which is why these plates were used on the M3

It's actually nothing to do with the motor. Doesn't matter if you have it or not, the problem can happen.

Pretty sure they're only on the M's as extra insurance since they'd see the track more than the average 3 series.

Axxe
10-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Good luck! I am in the middle of basically the same thing with a 328i sedan. I've got less than an m3 sedan costs into the whole project right now including 5 spd swap, and nice wheels :) (motor with 64k miles).