PDA

View Full Version : Time for a New Clutch

iverson03tj
09-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey guys, My clutch just went on my car, so now im looking for a new clutch @ a reasonable price, thats a good brand

Also i havent ever worken on a straight 6 before, im used to the engine n tranny being sidebyside horizontally like in my old civic.

I also dont have a hoist, but a got 4 jack stands and 2 hydrolic jacks.... buy i work in my driveway, since my place is on the east downtown part of toronto the garages were built really small... so my garage only has tools in it.

I know this isnt going to be easy but what should i know before i start this mission... any tips or tricks... even diys will help.. n yes i got the bentleys manual :)

ALSO im looking at a sachs right now on autopartsway.ca and its only $303.50 with free shipping, or a PRECISION REMAN CLUTCH from germanparts for $228.85.... what do u guys think...

T.Dot_E30
09-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Get a quote from StanceFactory, price out all the parts and compare the difference and consider if it's worth your time or the Hassle.

My clutch died on a Friday night, couldn't get parts anywhere locally on the weekend. Ordering it would have meant a week downtime. Instead I picked it up on Monday evening all fixed n ready to go.

iverson03tj
09-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Get a quote from StanceFactory, price out all the parts and compare the difference and consider if it's worth your time or the Hassle.

My clutch died on a Friday night, couldn't get parts anywhere locally on the weekend. Ordering it would have meant a week downtime. Instead I picked it up on Monday evening all fixed n ready to go.

Well its probably gonna take 5 hours atleast of labour.... so i was thinking of just saving that since 550 bucks is alot for me since i got a mortgage, n colege to pay for too, also im prettty sure it will take me about 8 to 10 hours if i did it my self... since i got no hoist... are there any specialty tools i need to use??

T.Dot_E30
09-25-2010, 09:08 PM
I doubt it would cost that much at SF, call them and check on Monday before assuming.

iverson03tj
09-25-2010, 09:22 PM
I doubt it would cost that much at SF, call them and check on Monday before assuming.

ok thanks! i forgot mystical runs stancefactory :P

BmW1819
09-26-2010, 11:16 AM
the deal has a package price but they always try to sell u a flywheel
i think it's like 750$ parts and labour

DYMO
09-26-2010, 11:25 AM
just get your clutch rebuilt. there's a few places that will rebuild it with kevlar. not only will your clutch be like new, but it'll last a lot longer too

iverson03tj
09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
just get your clutch rebuilt. there's a few places that will rebuild it with kevlar. not only will your clutch be like new, but it'll last a lot longer too

Do you know a shop that would do this also, how long do you think i would take to rebuilt it.

DYMO
09-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Do you know a shop that would do this also, how long do you think i would take to rebuilt it.

depends on who you go to.
i dont have a specific place to recommend (havent gotten to this point in my build)

but try googling it as see whats coming up. call around to places local to you and see what they say.

i'll ask my buddies and see if they got recommendations

DYMO
09-26-2010, 01:49 PM
http://euro-drive.com/

try these guys

sparkybp
09-28-2010, 09:55 AM
If you decide to do it yourself, it seems this alignment tool is very recommended for re-installing the clutch to align it properly with the flywheel i believe. I did my clutch without it. Maybe that's why it squeaks now from the bell housing everytime I depress it. Oh and make sure when you put it back in you get the "transmission side" and "motor side" correctly, i've seen someoe put it in backward and got the tranny so jammed they couldn't pull it off even with chains tied to the back of an eurovan driving away haahhaahha

doogee
09-28-2010, 05:18 PM
If you decide to do it yourself, it seems this alignment tool is very recommended for re-installing the clutch to align it properly with the flywheel i believe. I did my clutch without it. Maybe that's why it squeaks now from the bell housing everytime I depress it. Oh and make sure when you put it back in you get the "transmission side" and "motor side" correctly, i've seen someoe put it in backward and got the tranny so jammed they couldn't pull it off even with chains tied to the back of an eurovan driving away haahhaahha

The alignment tool usually comes with the clutch kit btw *th-up*

iverson03tj
09-29-2010, 10:59 PM
The alignment tool usually comes with the clutch kit btw *th-up*

yup im doin it myself, i got the LUK clutch kit for 350 flat n it came with the tool n bearin, i gotta say i burnt my clutch like crazy... i can smell it on the clutch disc.. and one side is basicly gone... i blame it on the CDV, everytime i launch the cdv gets in the way.... also imma keep the old clutch as its the one the car came with from the dealership and find a good place to get it remanufactured in kevlar when i got some extra dough.

while i was taking the exhaust system out n the drive shaft, i decided to change the flex disc and also there seems to be a little play on the diff... i think its some sort of bearing in it.... im not sure:huh?: am i just being to picky or should i take the small bearing out of the rear diff n replace it??? its at the flange that bolts onto the driveshaft...

also imma do the cdv delete i just cant find it :P lol....
Just fixed one problem.... another arised... i somehow broke my hand brake cable :mad:

EDIT:

ok i found a diy on bfc

The CDV has a male and female end, so you can just remove it and screw together the hoses without it. I guess the DIY would be along the lines of:

1. Jack up your car.
2. Put jackstands under your car.
3. Lower the car onto the jackstands.
4. Crawl under the car.
5. Locate the CDV. It is mounted in a bracket at the end of the hose from the slave cylinder.
6. Using the appropriate sized metric wrenches (14mm) unscrew the CDV from the supply side of the line.
7. Plug the supply side of the line with a golf tee or anything that works.
8. Remove the CDV from the bracket and slave cylinder hose with the appropriate sized metric wrenches (14mm).
9. Hold the end of the slave cylinder hose up so that it doesn't leak fluid out.
10. Connect the two hoses inside the bracket and tighten using the appropriate sized metric wrenches (14mm).
11. Bleed the clutch lines. You really shouldn't need to bleed much at all if you were quick with the hoses.
12. See # 1
13. Remove jackstands
14. Lower car.

just thought i would post it incase anyone wanted to see...

doogee
09-29-2010, 11:01 PM
yup im doin it myself, i got the LUK clutch kit for 350 flat n it came with the tool n bearin, while i was taking the exhaust system out n the drive shaft, i decided to change the flex disc and also there seems to be a little play on the diff... i think its some sort of bearing in it.... im not sure:huh?: am i just being to picky or should i take the small bearing out of the rear diff n replace it??? its at the flange that bolts onto the driveshaft...

also imma do the cdv delete i just cant find it :P lol.... is it near the master cylinder... and does the clutch n brake share the same cylinder i didnt take a look at it yet..

Just fixed one problem.... another arised... i somehow broke my hand brake cable :mad:

Not positive about the diff play.

The CDV is before the clutch slave cylinder. On the drivers side of the tranny.
http://www.bmw2002.net/tech/cdv1.jpg

The brakes and clutch don't share the same "cylinder" but they do share the same fluid reservoir.

iverson03tj
09-29-2010, 11:28 PM

The brakes and clutch don't share the same "cylinder" but they do share the same fluid reservoir.

Ok thank you!! u saved me a lot of time n confusion :P

3x Beemer
09-30-2010, 12:10 AM

http://www.bmw2002.net/tech/cdv1.jpg

So you just remove the fitting in the red arrows and the hose will thread right into the stainless line? Think the clutch will need to be bled?

doogee
09-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Exactly.

You'll probably need to bleed the clutch a little bit.

iverson03tj
09-30-2010, 07:57 PM
So i changed the clutch, it drives nicely, just waiting on 4 bolts n a gasket for my exhuast, since i had to cut the old bolts up. Also did the cdv delete finally :P one problem done... few more to do, thank you all once again for your input!!

Steve30
09-30-2010, 08:05 PM
What do you think of the cdv delete? I'm thinking about taking mine out this weekend.

iverson03tj
09-30-2010, 08:15 PM
What do you think of the cdv delete? I'm thinking about taking mine out this weekend.

I will let you know tmr :) cant wait to drive it once my exhaust is on*th-up*

iverson03tj
10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Ok so i went for a nice run and i gotta say it feels WAY better without the cdv... i can make my tires chirp now on 2nd gear.
And also its the easiest way to do a burn out... well not really a burn out.. i launched at 3k rpm and before when i tried to do that the cdv delayed it, now it doesnt do that.