View Full Version : What is this called?

09-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I just picked up an e36 and one of the headlights is out. I grabbed my sledgehammer and fork and went to work to identify the problem. It turned out to be this thing...


I tried searching by part number on autopartsways.ca and bimmerspecialist.ca but the searches came up with nothing.

One of the previous owners put in oem projectors from an e46 if that helps.

I'm not sure what the part is called, so if someone could tell me the name of it, or even better, a link to where I can buy it, that would be great!

E30 Girl
09-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Thats a balast for an aftermarket HID kit.

09-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Awesome, thanks!

Do you think this one would work? (http://cgi.ebay.ca/1-x-35w-HID-XENON-BI-XENON-REPLACEMENT-SPARE-BALLAST-/170535873124?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b4baea64#ht_1967wt_928)

09-15-2010, 02:32 AM
I personally recommend you getting a 55w ballast hid kit n if you can a H7bulb that should give you bluesh color. but its up to you.

E30 Girl
09-15-2010, 07:51 AM
The bulb type wont change the color it's the temperature that changes the color. A white light and what comes on most cars stock is 4300k if you want blue get 6000k and a little bluer 8000k if you want purple get 10000k. I would get a whole new kit 55w it's really easy to install and they don't cost much money.

Here is one of our sponsors great seller check him out!