PDA

View Full Version : replace the radiator or just replace the Expansion Tank ?

318ti_mars
09-11-2010, 02:13 AM
my 318ti is 200km now.

i found some coolant leak from the bottom of the Expansion Tank after driving. i think there is something wrong with #3 Gasket ring .
but i cannot find parts #3 Gasket ring , do i just replace the Expansion Tank or replace the whole radiator?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/a/v/298.png

i see many people said that they replace radiator, water pump, thermostat at the same time. but how do i know i have to replace radiator, water pump, thermostat?

Vrbovsky
09-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd replace the whole thing, autopartsway has one for 160$
the thermostat housing cracks as it is plastic, its a PITA when the rad is on unless you have small hands. Its the housing that you really want to replace.
the waterpumps are plastic too and are known to fail.

so you should look into

New rad
new METAL thermostat housing and thermostat
new METAL impeller water pump

cheers

BmW1819
09-11-2010, 10:40 AM
yea i found that when u replace the gasket number #3 it doesn't always work it leaks because the expansion tank heats up and cools down so it shapes and weakens the plastic best is new rad and expansion just so it doesn't leave u stranded

318ti_mars
09-12-2010, 12:44 AM
where can i get METAL thermostat housing and thermostat? autopartsway.ca? how do i know it is METAL or not?

I'd replace the whole thing, autopartsway has one for 160$
the thermostat housing cracks as it is plastic, its a PITA when the rad is on unless you have small hands. Its the housing that you really want to replace.
the waterpumps are plastic too and are known to fail.

so you should look into

New rad
new METAL thermostat housing and thermostat
new METAL impeller water pump

cheers

Vrbovsky
09-12-2010, 02:23 AM
turner or bavauto will have them, not expensive... about 25$

e36mcab
09-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I just completed a cooling system overhaul replacing the radiator, expansion tank, water pump, theromstat, thermostat housing, upper and lower hoses and plastic block connector on my ti.

I have an extra brand new expansion tank for sale if you are intereted. PM me for details.

318ti_mars
09-14-2010, 12:20 AM
sorry, what's tuiner and bavauto?

turner or bavauto will have them, not expensive... about 25$

318ti_mars
09-14-2010, 12:24 AM
thanks, but i am not sure change the radiator or expansion tank . i am afraid if i just change the expansion tank , it cannot help.

I just completed a cooling system overhaul replacing the radiator, expansion tank, water pump, theromstat, thermostat housing, upper and lower hoses and plastic block connector on my ti.

I have an extra brand new expansion tank for sale if you are intereted. PM me for details.

318compact
09-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Not sure what year your ti is, the '95 had a metal thermostat housing, I think the plastic started when they changed to M44 engine.
I would replace the entire radiator - at this age and mileage it is probably not far behind the expansion tank and gaskets.

318ti_mars
09-15-2010, 12:22 AM
my ti is M44

Not sure what year your ti is, the '95 had a metal thermostat housing, I think the plastic started when they changed to M44 engine.
I would replace the entire radiator - at this age and mileage it is probably not far behind the expansion tank and gaskets.

SiR
12-18-2010, 02:15 PM
why are you bumping old threads spamming about autopartsway?

everyone already knows about the place.