PDA

View Full Version : E30 rear wheel bearing change

Freshjive
08-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a local shop?
The more I read about doing the change myself, the less I want to attempt at it.

Freshjive
08-30-2010, 09:30 AM
anyone?

voluted
08-31-2010, 02:46 AM
If you have a place like part source or canadian tire around with a loan a tool program you can do it yourself with a slide hammer kit and the bearing puller/installer kit that they have. I used the slide hammer to pull the hub off and the bearing puller came with the right stuff.

I used this slide hammer:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/PullerTools/PRDOVR~0256149P/Master%252BAxle%252BPuller%252BSet.jsp?locale=en

With the yolk from this kit:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/PullerTools/PRD~0256147P/Flange%252BAxle%252BPuller.jsp?locale=en

I was only able to get two wheel bolts on the yolk though because it isn't big enough for the e30 hub bore but fortunately it still works. I used an impact wrench to tighten the bolts on. The slide hammer in the axle flange puller kit was much lighter which is why I picked up the other kit as well (IIRC it was 8lbs vs 3lbs)

I can't find the bearing puller/installer set on their website but it is part of their loan a tool program.

The job takes a few hours per side and a lot of sweating to complete and i wouldn't recommend even trying it without proper tools.

If you decide to take it to a shop, expect to spend 2-3 hours labor + parts.

Freshjive
09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
hey, thanks for the response. There nowhere around where I live that rents anything like that. So it pretty much has to goto a shop.
I was hoping to find a place that someone has gone before to get it fixed. maybe some mom and pop shop around Windsor somewhere.

c_gouin
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Did you find any place yet?

Freshjive
09-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I found a guy who does BMW work on the side.

Euro motors
Nick
ncipps (at) hotmail (dot) com

He was quick, knowledgeable and had fair prices.

c_gouin
09-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the email. I have dealt with him before but i lost his number. Just sent him an email. I need some work done on a car i purchased. Have been meaning to go down there just hadn't had the chance. He really know's what he is doing. Works on anything European. I even saw a nice Ferrari 360 spider there in for service once. A++ for those guys.

C.G.