PDA

View Full Version : No Spark

Finch
08-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Alright so I have almost finished my engine swap, everything is hooked up, and it turns over but wont start. pulled a coil pack off to see if there is spark, and none is coming through. I have a M50 Non Vanos, wasnt sure if there is a common problem with these, or if anyone else has experienced this problem

Finch
08-12-2010, 12:28 PM
No one can help me at all? No one has ANY idea as to why this is happening? Just because I'm a Noob on this site doesnt mean Im here for free advice or somethin. PLEASE, if anyone can throw me some advice on this, I want to get my car back on the road so I can sell my Mazda!

MarkD
08-12-2010, 01:27 PM
It's a bit harder to give advice when it's a swap and nobody knows if it's all hooked up properly. Maybe your DME or crank sensor is bad. Did you see it all working before the swap?

Finch
08-17-2010, 11:54 PM
i actually didnt see the motor running before i bought it. but it came out of a smashed up car, so the motor was good before that car was smashed up. ive got a guy coming to look at the car because i cant figure out why it wont start. it fully cranks over but just wont fire. the computer should still be fine, it worked fine before i pulled my old motor, i used the exact same motor, used MY wiring harness, the other harness was for an automatic.

Finch
08-18-2010, 11:38 PM
ok so today we did quite a bit of trouble shooting with the spark issue. did a number of test's with a multi-meter. So at this point my motor has roughly 10 volts going to the connector of every coil pack, but we cant seem to get any juice coming through the coil pack itself. We swapped out the coil packs for another set, and that did not help. Changed spark plugs, did not help. Gas is being delivered when the car turns over, but it just wont spark. Also tried swapping in 2 other computers which also did nothing. I am stumped, plus I had someone working on it who knows these cars very well and he cant figure this out either. So if anyone has any sort of suggestions it would really help me out alot!

MarkD
08-19-2010, 12:45 AM
ok so today we did quite a bit of trouble shooting with the spark issue. did a number of test's with a multi-meter. So at this point my motor has roughly 10 volts going to the connector of every coil pack, but we cant seem to get any juice coming through the coil pack itself. We swapped out the coil packs for another set, and that did not help. Changed spark plugs, did not help. Gas is being delivered when the car turns over, but it just wont spark. Also tried swapping in 2 other computers which also did nothing. I am stumped, plus I had someone working on it who knows these cars very well and he cant figure this out either. So if anyone has any sort of suggestions it would really help me out alot!

I know someone who knows these cars better than your friend who could not help you. He just fixed a convertible roof for member Kaveh in 5 minutes that other mechanics charged money for but still could not fix. You should let him have a look if you want to drive your car instead of look at it. His name is Trevor Hayes, send me a PM or email if you would like his number.
I just saw that you are in Barrie, so it pronbanly isn't easy for him to have a look at your car.

For a non-vanos motor, trhe DME would be either a 403, 405 or 402. Is that what you have? The DME grounds one end of the coil packs, I wonder if you may have a ground not connected?

Finch
08-19-2010, 02:19 AM
I know someone who knows these cars better than your friend who could not help you. He just fixed a convertible roof for member Kaveh in 5 minutes that other mechanics charged money for but still could not fix. You should let him have a look if you want to drive your car instead of look at it. His name is Trevor Hayes, send me a PM or email if you would like his number.
I just saw that you are in Barrie, so it pronbanly isn't easy for him to have a look at your car.

For a non-vanos motor, trhe DME would be either a 403, 405 or 402. Is that what you have? The DME grounds one end of the coil packs, I wonder if you may have a ground not connected?

the car is at my moms place, ill check the dme number tomorrow. its a 92 non vanos. You think the car would fully turn over even if one of the grounds is bad? Like when the starter is turning it whirls nice and quick, all my accessory's are working. Im debating pulling my intake mani back off and just having a real good look at the connections on the starter and alternator.