PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Syd Aus to Toronto

AusBMW
07-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Hey Guys,

Moving from Australia to Toronto, Canada soon, currently drive a 2002 330Ci coupe, and once I move to Toronto, currently planned for October, going to upgrade to a 335i, possibly Xdrive one - a feature we dont get offered here in Aus,

Going to do some shopping first, and have been reading a few forums on dealers, and the BMW website,

What are the good dealer to shop with in the GTA area?, planning on living around the Beach area of toronto, however work in located in mississuagua, so a nice drive down the 427/401 each morning and evening, so dealers either down towards miss or in toronto would be excellent,

Also leaseing vs buying, in Aus we have a slightly different setup to what a lease means, so guys what are the differences, and whats better?

Cheers Guys,

MarkD
07-24-2010, 03:55 AM
Hey Guys,

Moving from Australia to Toronto, Canada soon, currently drive a 2002 330Ci coupe, and once I move to Toronto, currently planned for October, going to upgrade to a 335i, possibly Xdrive one - a feature we dont get offered here in Aus,

Going to do some shopping first, and have been reading a few forums on dealers, and the BMW website,

What are the good dealer to shop with in the GTA area?, planning on living around the Beach area of toronto, however work in located in mississuagua, so a nice drive down the 427/401 each morning and evening, so dealers either down towards miss or in toronto would be excellent,

Also leaseing vs buying, in Aus we have a slightly different setup to what a lease means, so guys what are the differences, and whats better?

Cheers Guys,

Sorry to break it to you but unless you plan to drive to work at 6:00 am like my wife does, and return home at 9:00 pm (like she doesn't) that route is NOT a nice drive. She's been doing it for 5 months and she tells me it's time to either find a job in Toronto or retire!
I told her that being retired is boring and she should keep working. :D

You may want to consider using BMW Toronto if you will be living in the Beach Area.

Welcome.

AusBMW
07-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Hey,

Cheers mate, well we were there a few weeks back, and took the main freeway out of Toronto and toward Mississauga business park, and even with the preparations of the G20 summit, it only took about 45 mins, that was from the middle of Toronto however

BMW toronto definatly will be checking out, however there is a few others in the area that get notable mention on some other forums

Early morning in in Canada, so looking forward to the replies,

Cheers Guys

MarkD
07-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Hey,

Cheers mate, well we were there a few weeks back, and took the main freeway out of Toronto and toward Mississauga business park, and even with the preparations of the G20 summit, it only took about 45 mins, that was from the middle of Toronto however

BMW toronto definatly will be checking out, however there is a few others in the area that get notable mention on some other forums

Early morning in in Canada, so looking forward to the replies,

Cheers Guys

My wife said the roads were deserted the week around the summit. It took her 90 minutes to return home one day last week, it's a 50 km drive each way. It normally takes 1 hr. to return and 35 minutes in the morning.

If you live in the Beach area, BMW Toronto is the closest but Parkview BMW and BMW Waterloo share the same ownership. I've had great service at BMW Toronto and Parkview, which are the only places I've been to.

damameke
07-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Beaches to Mississauga business park, Gardiner/427/401 to Highway 10..
leave early for work and leave late after work.. for your sanity..

winter. forget about it.. hah ahha..

Toronto BMW wil be closer to the beaches, in Mississauga, its Mississauga BMW, still quite a distance from business park...

After a while you might consider looking at staying in Mississauga..

slemmer
07-24-2010, 10:53 PM
+1, there are bigger homes for the prices of homes in the beaches too!

AusBMW
07-25-2010, 03:47 AM
+1, there are bigger homes for the prices of homes in the beaches too!

True, but the beach represents the area we live in now, its just lovely, set on the 1hr drive back and fourth, however saying that, we did the drive, from the middle of Toronto about 5 weeks back, and it was only 40 mins to Mississauga,

So BMW Toronto it would seem, any other dealers that have great, honest service?

Cheers S...

propr'one
07-25-2010, 10:32 AM
^^why take your car to the dealer? We have lots of independent shops here for people who want good service but have better things to do with their money than flush it down our (correct-direction swirling) toilets.

And believe me, mark is telling you the truth. Being stuck on gardiner in traffic is not fun.The (nonexistant) view from the highway doesn't help either.

slemmer
07-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Isn't Winter 2011 going to be the mother of all snow storms for us?

sexxxybimmer
07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Isn't Winter 2011 going to be the mother of all
snow storms for us?
where did u get that from?

Robb
07-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Dont move here.. you'll regret it.
Move to Germany instead. :)

MarkD
07-26-2010, 08:23 AM
True, but the beach represents the area we live in now, its just lovely, set on the 1hr drive back and fourth, however saying that, we did the drive, from the middle of Toronto about 5 weeks back, and it was only 40 mins to Mississauga,

So BMW Toronto it would seem, any other dealers that have great, honest service?

Cheers S...

That's great that you drove the route once or twice and determined it's 40 45 mins each way. I'll tell my wife to drive home on a Saturday of a long weekend, she'll get it down to 30 minutes and from then on it will be a 30 minute drive. *drink*

I don't think you will be prepared fro the fun drive home in the winter. Hopefully by then you have a condo in Mississauga to stay at for the bad days.

damameke
07-26-2010, 09:25 AM
I am guessing that you took the drive during non office hour, thats the average time when traffic is good..add another 45 minutes during office hour..

Days during a bad winter storm.. i hope you can work from home....else check into a motel in Mississauga...

good summer = bad winter and i think Slemmer got it right 2010/2011 bad winter ...lol
last year bad summer = good winter...

AusBMW
07-27-2010, 08:54 AM
I am guessing that you took the drive during non office hour, thats the average time when traffic is good..add another 45 minutes during office hour..

Days during a bad winter storm.. i hope you can work from home....else check into a motel in Mississauga...

good summer = bad winter and i think Slemmer got it right 2010/2011 bad winter ...lol
last year bad summer = good winter...

Thanks Guys.
But No...left Jarvis st, in Toronto, joined the Gardiner expressway at 8am, and was in Mississauga by 8.45, Workday, Weekday, Morning Traffic....sure it did slow up at some points, but it flowed quite well, compared with some of the stuff we had in sydney

Cheers S

MarkD
07-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks Guys.
But No...left Jarvis st, in Toronto, joined the Gardiner expressway at 8am, and was in Mississauga by 8.45, Workday, Weekday, Morning Traffic....sure it did slow up at some points, but it flowed quite well, compared with some of the stuff we had in sydney

Cheers S

What time did you drive home? Getting out there is not usually a problem, the drive back is bad both southboind on the 427 and east on the Gardiner and 401.

slemmer
07-27-2010, 04:01 PM
And now what happened to Jarvis street this week...?

MarkD
07-27-2010, 04:22 PM
And now what happened to Jarvis street this week...?

They added some bike lanes. Miller and his buddies are bending over for people who drive without insurance, head protection, lights on their bicycles, and are not paying any road taxes.

nonlocal
07-27-2010, 05:28 PM
They added some bike lanes. Miller and his buddies are bending over for people who drive without insurance, head protection, lights on their bicycles, and are not paying any road taxes.

If only it were something as useful as bike lanes! There are already bike lanes on Sherbourne, I thought the idea with Jarvis was just to tear up the middle lane and plant trees there instead. It will be a grand boulevard and the crowds will flock to toronto and all the crackheads and hookers on Jarvis will turn into fine taxpayers. :rolleyes:

Judging from my experience living near St. Clair during the wonderful street car lane project, this should be all done sometime around 2028...

OP, arguing with Torontonians about traffic conditions here is kind of pointless. I understand your wanting to keep the rose-coloured glasses on regarding your new home; however of all the great things life in Toronto offers, the weekday drive between Toronto-Mississauga is not one of them.