PDA

View Full Version : That clutch fan...

QcE36
07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Like soo many other memberse, my engine cooling fan is driving me crazy. It always engage when the temp gauge hits mid-zone, thus creating the famous loud airplane sound... Im Getting very tired of this since my car sounds like a truck and throttle response is soo bad when the fans clutch engages. So i am thinking about three solutions:

1- FDM-- seems to be a good/cheap option, but im so affraid of overheating...
2- Electrical fan, looks like its a winning solution, but my alternator is a 80 amp valeo rebuilt unit... will it hold up?
3- I also found a kit at zionsville.com (hi-po kit) which includes t-stat alum. housing + t-stat, and a smaller/thinner fan with new clutch

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/store/screen/prod/store_code/6134/product_code/NP-HIPOKIT.htm (http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/store/screen/prod/store_code/6134/product_code/NP-HIPOKIT.htm)

What are your toughts?

Dr. Flyview
07-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey,

I would go with a FDM. But if you want the quick easy solution, I've got a good used fan clutch for $40. Shouldn't take long to swap out either, provided you can find a fan clutch removal tool. My buddy just put another extra one I had in a 528i, working great.

Flaviu

5style
07-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Hamburg engineering clutches are cheap and work perfect.

That being said you need a adjustable wrench and go to princess auto for a fan clutch holding tool ( they have em) very easy to swap. :)

QcE36
07-16-2010, 07:33 PM
does yours sound like its 80-90% of time engaged??

5style
07-16-2010, 10:06 PM
does yours sound like its 80-90% of time engaged??

I don't have one. It should spin down around 2.5-3k. It might sound engaged into higher revs on a cold engine as well.

Also I mean Hamburg Technik, not engineering.

FYI late 95 and up 318s came with a stock electric fan, no fan clutch, and no aux fan. Maybe this will fit your car? If so, i bet you can get it from a supporting vendor for a steal!

QcE36
07-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Hey,

I would go with a FDM. But if you want the quick easy solution, I've got a good used fan clutch for $40. Shouldn't take long to swap out either, provided you can find a fan clutch removal tool. My buddy just put another extra one I had in a 528i, working great.

Flaviu

you have FDM with an electric fan? and for your clutch do you have any pics? how old is it?

Dr. Flyview
07-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I just did the standard FDM, with a working stock aux fan.

Sorry I don't have any pics, and I'm not sure how old it is. What matters is it works! Test by holding and spinning the nut. If it' really loose, that's bad. If it's really hard to turn or stuck, that's also bad (probably your case).