PDA

View Full Version : replacing ball joints

edp82
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Going to be doing a bit of front end work.. after inspection i've found both my outer ball joints left and right side need to be replaced... replacement parts aren't too expensive, just curious if anyone has had experience replacing these items... I have access to a ball joint removal, just not a press to put them back in... i've searched the forums and it seems some people just suggest replacing the entire control arm... but the cost for parts is 4 times what i'd be paying just to replace the ball joint.... any advice/tips?

richie_s999
07-15-2010, 10:42 AM
it only takes a shop a few hours to change the balljoints, set up a time with a local shop to do the work, might as well do all 4 balljoints while you have the arms out, and the control arm bushings at the same time, saves having to do the work again.
Or this time order a complete arm assembly, and then next time you need to do them, you can have them ready to have the joints pressed in.

Ceeker
07-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Going to be doing a bit of front end work.. after inspection i've found both my outer ball joints left and right side need to be replaced... replacement parts aren't too expensive, just curious if anyone has had experience replacing these items... I have access to a ball joint removal, just not a press to put them back in... i've searched the forums and it seems some people just suggest replacing the entire control arm... but the cost for parts is 4 times what i'd be paying just to replace the ball joint.... any advice/tips?

Maybe you should look into owning a different car (Grin) BMW expensive??? NAW..lol..

seriously, listen to what Richie said above. remove them and replace all parts. in the long run you're better off.

edp82
07-15-2010, 10:50 AM
true... okay im just going to replace the entire control arm.. figure if something is wearin out other parts are probably too

Ceeker
07-15-2010, 10:52 AM
true... okay im just going to replace the entire control arm.. figure if something is wearin out other parts are probably too

I figure they are selling for about 200.00 ea side? time, hassle, aggravation will cost you about the same with parts when all said and done??

edp82
07-15-2010, 11:04 AM
yea its going to be 350 for parts out the door... my buddy the "mechanic" is putting them on for cheap

5style
07-15-2010, 11:18 AM
i would of just replaced the balljoints. lolz

edp82
07-15-2010, 04:25 PM
so i went out and bought new control arms... just to discover this complete front end kit...i realize its not oem bmw, but its one hell of a deal... the complete kit was actually less than what i spent on just the control arms.

http://www.fcp.coresense.com/product-exec/product_id/14109/nm/BMW_E36_3_Series_Control_Arms_1992_1999_7_Piece_Ki t_/category_id/540

doogee
07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't put that junk on a beater ^^

Good thing you got some good stuff!

edp82
07-16-2010, 11:23 AM
^^ after some debating and searches on the internet.. realized yea that stuff is pretty well junk.... called up the company i bought it from and told them to hold off... they are offering me two better options.... should i go with either the Meyle kit, or the Lemforder????

325isdan
07-16-2010, 12:12 PM
I would go with the Lemforder.

But I would buy my parts from a Canadian company like www.autopartsway.ca

Free shipping on orders over $75 and no duties.

edp82
07-16-2010, 12:46 PM
okay cool... well im getting a really good deal, plus the company ships fairly cheap and uses UPS world ease which gets around the duties...

5style
07-16-2010, 04:39 PM
germanparts.ca

no shipping and local etobicoke pick up! win.

325isdan
07-17-2010, 03:48 PM
okay cool... well im getting a really good deal, plus the company ships fairly cheap and uses UPS world ease which gets around the duties...

Watch out with UPS. They may say they are getting around duties but will kill you with brokerage charges.

people have been hit with charges more than the total value of their goods.

doogee
07-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Watch out with UPS. They may say they are getting around duties but will kill you with brokerage charges.

people have been hit with charges more than the total value of their goods.

Correct. I once I was charged $250 for a pair of control arms I paid $200 for...