PDA

View Full Version : Pillowball camber plates- Spring BINDS when turning (BING BING BING noise)

ChronicG
07-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I installed D2 racing camber plates, with pillowball mounts on my e36, PSS suspension and have a binding issue when turning..

when I turn the wheel, the entire hub assembly turns EXCEPT the upper spring perch and the pillowball DO NOT turn- the spring ends up twisting until it finally gives and spins and BING BING BING.. does that make sense?

from under the hood, I can see the top nut, NOT spinning when turning.

QUESTION: the strut is bolted onto the spherical bearing (housed in the camber plate).. is it correct that this bearing is supposed to turn along with the strut assembly and strut shaft?

ChronicG
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
anybody having this? apparently its common?

325isdan
07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
might have better luck over at bimmerforums.com

T.Dot_E30
07-12-2010, 10:01 PM
No experience with D2, are they installed correctly?

I would have went with a more proven solution, GC, vorschlag, etc.

ChronicG
07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Yea, they are installed correctly... I'm troubleshooting with them.. Will update.

e30_kid89
07-30-2010, 06:06 PM
My GC camber plates make a similar noise when i turn. I dunno its been like that for 2yrs no issues.

ChronicG
05-14-2011, 10:38 PM
SOLVED!! well sorta..
I installed needle (thrust) bearings on top of the lower adjustable perch, and beneath the spring (in my case, the helper springs).
SO, now when I steer, the spring and the rest of the strut assembly not rotate independently.

I say "sorta", because I still think pillow ball mount should allow rotation of the entire assembly without the spring binding.

NO MORE BINDING! and the steering feels smooth again, like stock

AXk6085 from SKF bearing is what I used.