PDA

View Full Version : AC Recharge

randallt6
07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know what the dealer charges to Recharge your AC??????

MarkD
07-10-2010, 09:43 PM
who cares what the dealer charges, why would you take a 10+ year old car to the dealer? And any a/c repair center is not allowed to just top up the freon, they have to determine why it leaked out and fix it!

325isdan
07-11-2010, 07:30 AM
CAn you not just buy one of those refill/conversion kits and do it yourself?

Ceeker
07-11-2010, 07:35 AM

you sure "CAN" (Grin) it should work providing your system doesn't have air in the lines. Otherwise you'll have to evac the system and then put the charge in.

to evac you'll need a place that has the R134 machine or equivalent to do it. They may not recharge it; as said above because it will leak out. Although todays stuff isn't harmful to the environment. Depending on the shop doing the work.

kenmar
07-11-2010, 08:50 AM

btw, those refill kits sold in Canada are not r134a. if u want the real stuff in a can you'd have to hop over the border to buy it

Ceeker
07-11-2010, 08:54 AM
btw, those refill kits sold in Canada are not r134a. if u want the real stuff in a can you'd have to hop over the border to buy it

it's compatible and I've used it straight into my R12 system. worked fine. all this nonsense about evacuating the system and replacing components to make it work is BS. no evaporator, or bottle needs changing. just need someone who knows what they're doing.

propr'one
07-11-2010, 10:53 AM
There was a shop that charlie @ bimmersport recommended a while back. I called them for a quote, and it was ridiculously cheap. Mabye he can give us the info again?

MarkD
07-11-2010, 06:11 PM
There was a shop that charlie @ bimmersport recommended a while back. I called them for a quote, and it was ridiculously cheap. Mabye he can give us the info again?

I bet it's the shop that is right beside BimmerSport. Do you remember the location?

gotcurry
07-11-2010, 10:30 PM
pm'd

Dr. Flyview
07-12-2010, 01:00 PM
How much would it run to actually check where the leak is? I recharged mine the first summer I had my car, by next summer it didn't work again.

But as a side note: Did you know the manual tells you to turn on your AC EVEN IN THE WINTER at least once a month so some seals don't dry out?

kenmar
07-12-2010, 10:23 PM
How much would it run to actually check where the leak is?

I paid $50 for a recharge back in May at a shop w/o diagnostic equipment and it leaked out within a week, so that was a waste.

I just had it fixed properly at another shop: $80 worth of R134a, $30 for replacement valves (where you fill the R134a), 1.5 hours of labour. I didn't get charged a separate diagnostic fee; it was probably rolled into the 1.5 hours

It's soooo much nicer with working a/c. I didn't realize this until recently, but these cars produce a LOT of heat thru the firewall when running in excess of 100kph.