PDA

View Full Version : E36 M3 upgrades

Spenny
07-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Just got my first E36 M3 and just wondering if you guys knew of some quality, efficient upgrades that would help the preformance without breaking the bank! Any ideas would be great.

Quack
07-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the board.

you can PM MarkD, he can set you up with a ECU reflash, that will free up some ponies, also wanted to know what kind of performance are you looking for, are you planning on tracking your car?, taking it to the dragstrip, or is this your daily driver but just want a little more power? you're going to get all kinds of opinions like, put a supercharger on it, or put a turbo on it, change the diff, change your suspension, but it all comes down to how you're planning on using your vehicle.

Spenny
07-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Not going to ever seriously take it to the track, maybe occasionally but just for a fun day out. I'm more your daily driver who who like you said wants a bit more power and am looking to making changes over time to peronalize the car. I had been looking through some of MarkD's posts actually. That would be an ideal thing I think for my price range to start with actually. I know companies like Dinan have different engine software for different upgrades, like a cold air intake uses a stage 2 Dinan software upgrade compared to stage one ect. Say if I get something like a CAI in the future will there be a problem with the software compatibility?

craigIS
07-07-2010, 12:24 PM
To get the most out of a CAI, what you should do, is get the CAI, then get an exhaust, and then have markD flash your ECU. You will get more out of the cold air by doing it that way. It is you car though, so you can do it any way you want. I just thought I would throw the option out there.

Steve30
07-07-2010, 01:04 PM
M50 manifold is probably the most cost effective mod for an OBD II E36. Followed by ASC delete, exhaust/headers, intake, 3.5" MAF. Finish it off with some sunbelt or schrick cams and you should have close to 280-290 to the wheels. Start off with M50 manifold and exhaust/headers because you can drive without software. Once you add some of the other stuff like the MAF and cams then you only have to spend money on one tune rather than going back every time you add a new mod.

Jon@Bimmersport
07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
The best mod is the M50 manifold, like said. I agree and would not flash the car as a first mod, because you will waste your money if you opt for the cam kit/FI.

If you add cams first, and pondering about FI do not go with sunbelt cams...shrick IS a better option, but there are specific S/C cams/Turbo cams out there.

Your key words - efficient bolt on = M50 manifold, you can just de-baffle the air box, and run a cat back exhaust after which will help a little but more for the sound/looks. Follow these with a tune if you are satisfied, if not...go FI as there is only another 50-60whp (and not that much torque) before you hit the limit of this motor without going internal. Number wise, they all look great...but if you want to FEEL your power...then its a different story.

Like Quack mentioned, what is the purpose of your car? Daily driver? Whats your overall budget for this car, and in relation what is your goal in terms of the car's performance? To be more specific, "I want to keep up with 335i" for example.

Spenny
07-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all the help. Budget for now would be probably a grand. And for performance wise your statement of keeping up to a 335i would be pretty great. So say the first part I get is the M50 manifold, is there a particular brand or make that would be the best? Is it hard to install?

bigfeller
07-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the help. Budget for now would be probably a grand. And for performance wise your statement of keeping up to a 335i would be pretty great. So say the first part I get is the M50 manifold, is there a particular brand or make that would be the best? Is it hard to install?

I'd recommend the M50 manifold from Bayerische Motoren Wereke as it is the only one that exists. Schrick makes a nice manifold for use on M50/52 and S50/52 motors as well, that is supposed to have better low-end torque with the same high-rpm power, but it's quite expensive.

As for M50 install kits, Eurosport makes the nicest kit but it's pricey. Bimmerworld and M50manifold.com both have similar kits (though not as flashy) for about half the price.

1BADBMR
07-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Upgrade your diff to 3.38 or 3.91 for better acceleration

MarkD
07-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Upgrade your diff to 3.38 or 3.91 for better acceleration

And worse fuel economy. That's one mod I'd hesitate to make

MarkD
07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
M50 manifold is probably the most cost effective mod for an OBD II E36. Followed by ASC delete, exhaust/headers, intake, 3.5" MAF. Finish it off with some sunbelt or schrick cams and you should have close to 280-290 to the wheels. Start off with M50 manifold and exhaust/headers because you can drive without software. Once you add some of the other stuff like the MAF and cams then you only have to spend money on one tune rather than going back every time you add a new mod.

There are other cam options besides what you mentioned. Specifically for the E36 M3, I've been working with an engine builder who has his own cam grinding machines and buys chillcast blanks which he grinds to whatever he requires. I've just finshed tuning a car which is able to spin the tires in 3rd gear... it has slightly raised compression also. I'll be offering those cams and pistons (or just cams) soon along with software for them.

For people that don't want to change pistons, there are other options for software:

stage:
1) s/w for stock motor
2) s/w for M50 manifold
3) s/w for M50 mani. + cams + 24# injectors

Plus of course stage 4: pistons, cams, M50 manifold and 24# injectors

I am going to price these in a way that after buying stage 1, you just pay a small incremental fee to get the next stage.

For example, to move from stage 1 to stage 2 will cost $75 and from stage 2 to 3 will be $125

So if you are waiting to get your ultimate setup in the car before getting software, there is no longer a need to wait as I'll make it quite painless to upgrade software to the next stage.

MarkD

richie_s999
07-09-2010, 11:24 AM
There are other cam options besides what you mentioned. Specifically for the E36 M3, I've been working with an engine builder who has his own cam grinding machines and buys chillcast blanks which he grinds to whatever he requires. I've just finshed tuning a car which is able to spin the tires in 3rd gear... it has slightly raised compression also. I'll be offering those cams and pistons (or just cams) soon along with software for them.

For people that don't want to change pistons, there are other options for software:

stage:
1) s/w for stock motor
2) s/w for M50 manifold

I am going to price these in a way that after buying stage 1, you just pay a small incremental fee to get the next stage.

For example, to move from stage 1 to stage 2 will cost $75 and from stage 2 to 3 will be $125

So if you are waiting to get your ultimate setup in the car before getting software, there is no longer a need to wait as I'll make it quite painless to upgrade software to the next stage.

MarkD

I will offer my car as a test pig for stage 3 !!!!!!!!!!! *rockout*

Steve30
07-09-2010, 11:40 AM

stage:
1) s/w for stock motor
2) s/w for M50 manifold

MarkD

Interesting, how much power is that car producing?

MarkD
07-09-2010, 11:43 AM
We still have to take it to the dyno but the target was 315 - 320 at the crank.

The car is in Kansas City, Missouri.

MarkD
07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I will offer my car as a test pig for stage 3 !!!!!!!!!!! *rockout*

I think we are going to do all the development in Kansas City. The shop that is doing all the work is Kansas City AutoSport. http://www.kansascityautosport.com/ and the engine builder is Paul Burke of Imagineering.

e30_kid89
07-09-2010, 02:29 PM
paul burke FTW....I want to pick up one of his cams for my m30.

MarkD
07-09-2010, 02:38 PM
paul burke FTW....I want to pick up one of his cams for my m30.

I can ask him for a price, I expect I am able to do better than you. Do you know the specs on the one you want? Send me an email with details if you want to buy it in the near future.

MarkD