PDA

View Full Version : OBC display not showing properly...

MPowered472
03-31-2003, 07:46 PM
Has anyone had this problem with the time and temperature display missing lines. The bulbs are all working properly.

I have read around that this may be due to the connection to the display panel. I don't really want to replace the OBC. Some people have indicated that if you clean the connections, it may revive the display. Not sure about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

mkgino
03-31-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by MPowered472
Has anyone had this problem with the time and temperature display missing lines. The bulbs are all working properly.

I have read around that this may be due to the connection to the display panel. I don't really want to replace the OBC. Some people have indicated that if you clean the connections, it may revive the display. Not sure about this.

TIA

You have to get a new screen from the dealer. I dont know the part number. If they replace it its like $200 (for labour), but the part isnt expensive.

djcontra
03-31-2003, 09:02 PM
You're better off buying a used working one than trying to fix it. The display connects to the circuit board via a ribbon cable that is heatbonded to the board, and if you try and remove the existing ribbon not only will it rip while trying to do so, it's very hard to bond the new display onto the circuit board. You can however take it to an electronics repair shop and they can refuse the existing ribbon if it's just a loose contact, and it shouldn't be more than a couple hours labour (maybe $60 to $100)

I tried to do it myself, and even though it worked (for a month or so), it was nerve racking because the contacts are soooo thin and tiny.
It's just poor design on BMW's part, they should have fused it to the board a little better or used a proper ribbon that doesn't deteriorate over time. :(

Fernando
03-31-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by MPowered472

TIA

Check out my previous post attached.
www.maxbimmer.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=71019&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending
What car do you have... I hope for your sake it's not an e39...

Mikester
03-31-2003, 11:46 PM
i have the same problem!!! if you find out how to fix it tell me please

AcidSnow
04-01-2003, 01:54 AM
same problem here, except mine seems to be intermitting

Fernando
04-01-2003, 01:35 PM
You should research on the web what the specific cause is, ie: improperly soldered contacts behind cluster and send the Bmw Canada customer service an e-mail.

Rumour has it that some of our American friends have had this "known defect" fixed out of warranty. Last week I e-mailed the National Customer Service Director for BMWNA regarding this problem asking for the contact at BMW Canada.

After about 3 e-mails back and fourth she seamed surprised that my car was a Canadian vehicle and acted as if she couldn't help me. I'm pissed at just the thought that American's are getting this done for free and we can't. Both vehicles come out of the same plants in Germany and therefore should be subject to the same sort of recall/customer service issue. "Whats good for the goose is good for the gander."

BTW this pixel problem may be intermitent as it seams to be related to bad contacts which vary with humidity/ temperature changes.

pm me if you want to be prevy to the process as I persue BMW Canada for the pixel issue.

Cheers,

Fern

Fernando
04-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
You're better off buying a used working one than trying to fix it. The display connects to the circuit board via a ribbon cable that is heatbonded to the board, and if you try and remove the existing ribbon not only will it rip while trying to do so, it's very hard to bond the new display onto the circuit board. You can however take it to an electronics repair shop and they can refuse the existing ribbon if it's just a loose contact, and it shouldn't be more than a couple hours labour (maybe $60 to $100)

I tried to do it myself, and even though it worked (for a month or so), it was nerve racking because the contacts are soooo thin and tiny.
It's just poor design on BMW's part, they should have fused it to the board a little better or used a proper ribbon that doesn't deteriorate over time. :(

As you appear to be the member with the most knowledge (firsthand) of the cause of problem... Can you please try to research if anyone has had this done out of warranty where BMW Canada or U.S. picked up the bill.

I will also continue my efforts and continue to push-on with the issue and continue to communicate with this American lawyer who is considering a class-action.

For the American members who are on this board, feel free to jump in at any time with comments/suggestions.

Thanks

Fern

MPowered472
04-04-2003, 08:23 PM
I have checked with the dealer in Calgary and a new 11 button obc is $309 new. I checked with a few used part dealers in town and they also quoted $300 for a used one*uzi*

So...looks like a new one. The are very easy to replace. Not sure why the wreckers are asking so much. I know they are in high demand as the dealer said they typically carry a couple in stock.