PDA

View Full Version : M3 5spd conversion questions

BimmerDriver
06-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Hello guys,

I have a 99 M3 cabrio but one of my greatest displeasures about my car is that it is an automatic. I'd like to get it converted into a manual transmission but I have a few questions.

First, I've seen some 5 speed trannies for sale on ebay that came off of a 328i and the seller advertises it as being compatible with M3s. I'm sure there are plenty of talented mechanics out there that can make things fit on anything but the real question is: Are the trannies that came on 328i's the same that came on M3s in terms of gear ratios and overall performance or should I look for a tranny that came specifically off of an M3?

Second, can someone please list all the parts that are necessary for a full conversion in case I decide to buy them from separate sources as opposed to buying the full package from one seller.

And also, I heard that some parts are better off bought brand new like the clutch. Can you also list which ones are those?

Thanks very much for the help! *th-up*

richie_s999
06-21-2010, 01:57 AM
contact Tom....aka Euroguy, he is a sponser on here, and specializes in parting out E36 M3's. He will set you up with everything you need, and anyone who has delt with him that I have ever talked to said he's amazing.

A.K.A. Blackout
06-21-2010, 06:26 AM
^^^ +1 for Tom, wish he was around when i was sourcing parts for my conversion! would have saved me a lot of money, but it was worth every bit to do the swap!

5style
06-21-2010, 11:41 AM
If your m3 is a NA spec , then yes, the 328 tranny and yours is IDENTICAL.

ScotcH
06-21-2010, 11:52 AM
To answer you specific question, yes the 328 and M3 had identical transmissions in them. I would certainly opt for a new clutch kit and TOB while doing the job ... no reason not to! Flywheel should be OK, though obviously you could get an aftermarket lighter one.

As for parts, as others said, talk to Tom ... he'll set you up.

prince1
06-21-2010, 12:47 PM
To answer you specific question, yes the 328 and M3 had identical transmissions in them. I would certainly opt for a new clutch kit and TOB while doing the job ... no reason not to! Flywheel should be OK, though obviously you could get an aftermarket lighter one.

As for parts, as others said, talk to Tom ... he'll set you up.

+1 *th-up*