PDA

View Full Version : OBX coilovers


Spartiatis
03-30-2003, 03:12 AM
Does OBX make coilovers for my M3? Give me some info

ROB89M3
03-30-2003, 03:21 AM
Don't do it ! You'll ruin the handling !

Get the H&R coilovers that M50E30 is getting or Get the Ground control.

don't try and take shortcuts with this car ...... *no-no*

Spartiatis
03-30-2003, 04:01 AM
I didn't even know that it was a short cut:confused:

Gamite
03-30-2003, 06:22 AM
I think they're sleeves that go over your shocks, you have to weld them on or something..

Miguel
03-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Isn't that exactly what Ground Controls are anyways? I'd say GC is a shortcut to REAL coilovers like FK and H&R

Autotechnica
03-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Miguel
Isn't that exactly what Ground Controls are anyways? I'd say GC is a shortcut to REAL coilovers like FK and H&R

No, I think Ground Control uses Bilstein shocks w/ Eibach springs. I'm not positive, but it isn't OBX for sure. Ground Control makes stuff for racing cars so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell some cheapy half-assed coil over kit.

Anyways, doesn't Randy have OBX coilovers? :confused:

Bry

Spartiatis
03-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Thats what I thought:confused:

ROB89M3
03-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
No, I think Ground Control uses Bilstein shocks w/ Eibach springs. I'm not positive, but it isn't OBX for sure. Ground Control makes stuff for racing cars so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell some cheapy half-assed coil over kit.

Bry

Yes exactly ! GC is great cuz you can either get really stiff spring rates (for track) or softer (for the street) By far one of the best coilover systems for e30's right now......

KW ,H&R , FK, are great as well, but you wont be able to pick and choose ,like Ground control.

ps: GC springs are made by Eibach.

windsor318is
03-30-2003, 06:18 PM
who sells these ground control coil overs for the e30, is it a direct fit, or a rig like OBX? ballpark price?

ROB89M3
03-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by windsor318is
who sells these ground control coil overs for the e30, is it a direct fit, or a rig like OBX? ballpark price?

GO TO :

http://www.ground-control.com/bmwe30.htm

You canorder it through their website. Just call them to order. Speak to Jay. They are located in California.

Installation is tricky. You have to cut teh front perch and weld on the GC one. They are not "true coilovers" like KW or Gruppe N, but still a great system for the track and or street. Pricing is fair !

windsor318is
03-30-2003, 06:23 PM
thanks rob, price is a little high though, is that what you have?

ROB89M3
03-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by windsor318is
thanks rob, price is a little high though, is that what you have?

A little high ? you wont be getting coilovers then cuz everything else is even more money....

I have that setup, but I have custom valved Bilstein shocks made by turner motorsport. They are J-Stock shocks with custom valving. The Bilstein sports wont damper my spring rates.....
I also have rear GC shock mounts, and front Adjsutable GC Camber plates.

windsor318is
03-30-2003, 06:29 PM
i dont understand why they are so much more than e36 coilovers PSS9 by bilstein are $899 for e36. thats what i meant by high price

ROB89M3
03-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by windsor318is
i dont understand why they are so much more than e36 coilovers PSS9 by bilstein are $899 for e36. thats what i meant by high price

Cuz you are also getting the GC Camber plates . The PSS9 coilovers are just spring + shocks.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-31-2003, 01:21 AM
go with HR..GC is also sleeves arent they? they dont come with any shock at all..? they use eibach springs though...which is nice if you want street comfort...OBX wont ruin the handling...they are harder than E30 M3 springs arent they?

ROB89M3
03-31-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
go with HR..GC is also sleeves arent they? they dont come with any shock at all..? they use eibach springs though...which is nice if you want street comfort...OBX wont ruin the handling...they are harder than E30 M3 springs arent they?

dude you know absolutly nothing about this topic......
now get outta here.... :huh?: *mumble*

Jon@Bimmersport
03-31-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by ROB89M3
dude you know absolutly nothing about this topic......
now get outta here.... :huh?: *mumble*

hmm..wheres the shock?

http://www.ground-control.com/co_gen.jpg

ROB89M3
03-31-2003, 02:34 AM
The front uses a modifies front strut....

On the rear, you have the option of using a full coilover (shown in picture) or using the "sleeve-springs" on the rear trailing arms.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-31-2003, 09:22 AM
ya its an option which means more $$$$$....it aint a free option. what it comes with as is are sleeves, but you can upgrade...jus like you can with OBX, you switch to HR :D