PDA

View Full Version : E36 Braking Issue

moneymaker
06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey,

As the title says, I've encountered a problem with my brakes. While driving, when I apply my brakes I can hear a very noticeable/loud "clicking" sound.

It doesnt happen everytime but more times than often and it seems to be coming from the left rear underbody.

Im not sure what this is and if anyone has any ideas they would be very much appreciated.

I'd like to know what the problem is before I bring it to any shop, just so I dont get screwed over.

Thanks for the help!

JvzwetE36325
06-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Do you have any experience with cars? I would jack it up, rotate the tire just to make sure it rotates freely, then take the wheel off and take a wrench and hex key over everything just to tighten things up. I'm not so familiar with a clicking sound so thats my best suggestion. Is it only under braking or does it do it under acceleration aswell?

moneymaker
06-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Ive already jacked the car up rotated the tires. I dont see any loose fittings anywhere.

I can only hear it when braking. Never when accelerating or turning etc.

richie_s999
06-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Kinda hard to say what it is with out being in the car and actually hearing it!

bring it in to one of the sposners, get the suspension checkd, dought its brake related, something is moving when you apply the brakes, and causing the sound. E36 rear springs crack like mad, could be a good starting point.

You need to find a shop you trust, maybe take it to 2 shops and see what they say, if its the same you know what it is.

bmw-dinan36
06-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Need new break pads? warped rotors.. if you can only hear it when u are breaking. then it could be break pads.. needing a change..

doogee
06-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Clicking? That's odd.

Again, take it to a shop and have it checked out.

Just because it only happens under braking, does not mean its the brakes.

I personally don't think warped rotors can possibly make a clicking sound. As for brake pads, unlikely but who knows.

If you want more help, going to need more info.

Does it happen under all braking or only hard braking?
Does the click just happen once, or is is like click click click click?

moneymaker
06-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

The "clicking" sound happens at both low and high speeds.

Sometimes, if I repeatedly press the brake pedal I can hear the sound each time it is pressed, even if my car is in park.

Also, it is not a "click...click...click" sound. Its just one "click".

The problem has worsened with time and I would like to get this resolved asap, as its sort of annoying and embarrasing.

Again, any further thoughts or help is very much appreciated.

5style
06-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Check tightness of wheel bolts, make sure they are torqued!!! Silly but will cause clicks/groans

Suspension loose?

Dust shields loosened, breaking off?

Rock in tire?

The brake pedal itself?

IDK, lots of potential causes, come to a meet, or take it to a shop!

bmw-dinan36
06-14-2010, 06:54 AM
hmmm if its gettin worse and u hear the click when breaking.. something definetely came loose.. try cleaning your breaks or applying wd40. rust on ur breaks can also makes lots of squeel sounds.. could be a piece of the ebrake assembly ie springs and stuff? best way is to take ur breaks apart and see if there is anything unusual. GL

T.Dot_E30
06-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Is it an automatic?

Is the 'click' coming from inside the car around the gear shift area? I'm not familiar with e36 autos, but some newer cars have a shifter lock that disengages when you apply the brakes. That can be the noise your hearing.

Otherwise if it's a 'click' or more of a 'clack' after changing directions. It could be cheap pads that are too loose in the carriers. But you said it makes the sound in park with the car not moving, so I think the above may be your problem.

Jay325i
06-14-2010, 08:24 AM
is it coming from the break pedal? i had the same thing on my e46 and it was caused by something that was loose..

JunzieB
06-14-2010, 05:49 PM
If you haven't figured it out as of yet and it's getting worse, i'd suggest you take it to a shop to get it checked out.

moneymaker
06-14-2010, 07:36 PM
T.dot E30
My car is automatic and I know about the clicking noise that comes from the gear shifter. This isn't the same noise thats comes from braking.

405Style
I tightened all the wheels and the noise is still there
My dust sheild is breaking off so maybe ill check that out.

Im going to take it to a shop, just so this issue doesnt escalate. Thanks for all the help so far. Again more thoughts would be appreciated.

Ill update you guys after a mechanic checks it out.