PDA

View Full Version : Brakes.....

Bad Man
03-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Alright, I have had the (!) light up for a while regarding my brakes....so whats worse is that when I brake, it makes such a nasty shit noise...

so WHAT DO I DO?---I ain't goin' to BMW, do I need just new brake pads, rotors, really I have no clue!

Can someone please give me recommendations and prices....I want to learn to fix it myself....All help will be appreciated

MP328
03-29-2003, 04:45 PM
here you go hope it helps. http://www.racepad.com/tech/bmw/change_brake_pads/change_brake_pads.htm

if not pm bimmersport he can do something for you

moregothanshow
04-05-2003, 12:41 AM
it could be that you need new brake sensors. they detect when the brake pads arre low...one of my wires snapped once and i checked the pads but they were still good...than i found out it was the sensor wire that was snapped. by the way i dont remember how much it cost me though. hope that helps...

Harry
04-05-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by moregothanshow
it could be that you need new brake sensors. they detect when the brake pads arre low...one of my wires snapped once and i checked the pads but they were still good...than i found out it was the sensor wire that was snapped. by the way i dont remember how much it cost me though. hope that helps...

Odds are this is not the case... but the sensor is about $15

Quack
04-05-2003, 06:03 PM
if it's making noise and your car does have a brake wear sensor, most likely you will need pads and rotors, your brake pads are so low that the backing on the brake pad is rubbing with the rotors making that nasty noise you are hearing.

WASABI
04-05-2003, 10:14 PM
It seems like your pads are worn down to the metal, so you'll need both pads and rotors. BUT check them first ASAP, just take your wheels off and look at the pads and rotors.

OEM rotors are about $100 each, around $60 for regular brembo, and around $50-$60 for the front pads, $35-$40 for the rear pads.

moregothanshow
04-05-2003, 10:20 PM
where can you get those brembos for $60? are they cross drilled?
i think my rotors are warped...just a little...so if that is the price i might be interested.
thanks!

Soldo
04-05-2003, 11:21 PM
mine makes that UGLY ASS NOISE and i just changed my PADS, i think it has something to do with the actual ROTOR thats causing the SQUEELING, also, where are those brembros for 60?!

WASABI
04-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Sorry guys, but those prices are for rotors that are NOT cross-drilled. They're just regular rotors. I bought them from place called National Auto Parts in Mississauga (Cawthra and Queensway), (905)897-0644. I also bought my PBR pads there. Good prices. I think Elite Auto has good prices on cross-drilled rotors, around $100 each.

Predator_e36
04-06-2003, 01:20 AM
cross drill rotors are not a good idea, cause the holes can crack

u want good rotors to last longer, u need to get slatted rotors, and for pads, green stuff is good

Soldo
04-06-2003, 06:51 AM
NO i heard green stuff is GARBAGE!!
PBR are AMAZING!!
hey WASABI, NAPA?!?!
they sell BREMBRO's for 60 a rotor!?
also, wheres ELITE auto!?

moregothanshow
04-06-2003, 08:15 AM
slotted rotors wear faster. so same difference. both rotors have their pro's and cons. i personally prefer cross drilled rotors. it all depends on what the user wants out of their braking setup.

Predator_e36
04-06-2003, 01:04 PM
personally, i never had these rotors yet, i heard green stuff was good for no dust

we use PBR at my shop for the longest time

well it's all up to how the person drivin :)

WASABI
04-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
NO i heard green stuff is GARBAGE!!
PBR are AMAZING!!
hey WASABI, NAPA?!?!
they sell BREMBRO's for 60 a rotor!?
also, wheres ELITE auto!?

It's not NAPA, it's just called "National". It was around that price and remember those are not cross drilled, they might be able to get cross drilled, but I never asked. Do a search for "elite" auto.:idea:

M50E30
04-06-2003, 04:15 PM
PM empowerd for rotors (vented, slotted, x-drilled, or slotted and x-drilled) he can get them cheap. And here is the link for Elite Auto Service (http://www.eliteauto.ca/home.html).

Dave

Soldo
04-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks dave