PDA

View Full Version : Bumper painting?

thinair
03-29-2003, 06:37 AM
Roughly how much would it cost to get a rear bumper resprayed/painted? Someone drove into mine and some of the clear coat came off, and there is a couple small scuffs near the corner. No physical bumper damage aside from paint.

Not to cut corners, but it's only on the right side of the bumper, does the whole bumper need to painted, or can it be matched pretty well?

Alezone
03-29-2003, 07:08 AM
try to do it yourself... it's black right?

mkgino
03-29-2003, 07:12 AM
Worst thing you can ever do is doing body work by yourself, with no prior experience. Nelson, I am going in about 3 weeks or so to get my stuff painted, through Daydream///M3. They quoted me about $600 for everything skirts, mirrors, mouldings, and door handles. I bet if u came with us when I go and get an actual quote, they could do yours for like $100 or so.

windsor318is
03-29-2003, 07:18 AM
100 bucks!!!! come on MK....be realistic, the body man is going to have to sand, and blend out the area then paint and blend it. i can understand your mirrors and stuff, cause theres no real work to it, simple painting.

if its less than 500 bucks ill be surprised

SickFinga
03-29-2003, 07:22 AM
I paid 600 to paint my molding and door handles, so there is some work into it, they have to sand all the moldings, primer them. a lot of work. thinair only wants a respray, not a new paint on the new bumper.

thinair
03-29-2003, 01:14 PM
yeah, it's only the clear coat on top of the bumper (above the moulding, 1x4"), and 3 small scuffs (1x1/2", and two 1x1/8" at the corner) They're not deep or anything. All on the right side within a foot of each other. (I gotta buy a digital camera one day)

Technically I could do it myself (we've painted a car before), but for the size of the damage, it wouldn't be worth preparing my garage for paint work (with the possibility of me messing up). I'll just take it to a shop, I don't want any Mickey Mouse work on my car. And my car is Madiera Violet, not black. Plus, it's not like I have a problem removing the bumper and moulding to give the shop less work.

mkgino
03-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by thinair
I don't want any Mickey Mouse work on my car. Supposedly this place was under contract or at least used to be from BMW Canada, so.............

Slowered318
03-29-2003, 08:03 PM
The bumpers only.. if you remove them yourself.. remove the plastic bumper strips and bring it into a shop with the paint code.. i'm sure you could get it done for under $300

make shure they use a flex agent in the paint.

bart320i
03-29-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
I paid 600 to paint my molding and door handles, so there is some work into it, they have to sand all the moldings, primer them. a lot of work. thinair only wants a respray, not a new paint on the new bumper.

You got ripped:D