PDA

View Full Version : supercharger????

paul
03-26-2003, 10:59 PM
what brand of charger sould i use for a 92 325 and how hp should i get on a stock motor *th-up*

MP328
03-27-2003, 12:26 AM
this is the first one that came to my mind

Active Autowerke (http://www.activeautowerke.com/Supercharged/E36-325isupercharger.asp)

there is also www.dinanbmw.com and also ESS but not sure about their website.

all prices in US dollars

btw u might wanna send a private message to djcontra he's in the process of supercharging his new 325. he's getting a vortech or something like it.

he can probably give u some more info

Jon@Bimmersport
03-27-2003, 12:41 AM
djcontra and empowerd both used vortech blowers on the M50/M52 motor...PM either one, they know a lot about forced induction..plus its all custom kit, if you want..you can get the dinan kit which has a warranty on it..but costs more $$$.

why not go turbo? the non vanos engines are bullet proof from what i hear..ask Jon Sibal..he has the widebody turbo 325is

djcontra
03-28-2003, 07:00 PM
I would go for the Active Autowerkes one, it's only about $4600 - $5400 USD and you get an aftercooler too! (that's about $1000 new right there!) Not to mention, their kit seems to be very well thought through.
I don't think you'll find a better price either unless you buy used, and even used, the price difference isn't much (that's one of the reasons I bought my supercharger, so because of the high resale value on it)

paul
03-28-2003, 10:43 PM
thanxs guys for the info. Also i have been meaning to ask what is vanos. also if i went with a turbo setup what kit or should i do a custom on and where to go to get it installed :huh?:

paul
03-28-2003, 10:52 PM
i was reading up on the supercharger and they on't have one for non vanos what would i have to do to convert it to vanos and if i swapped out why engine what obdI engine should i put in other then m3 thanx for your help guys *th-up*

djcontra
03-29-2003, 01:02 AM
you dont need vanos to run a supercharger, but I guess active's ECU Software is only for VANOS capable e36's. You can do without the software (which is what I am doing at first) by getting a fuel pressure regulator and adjusting the air/fuel mix yourself. It takes a bit more tuning, but it should work about the same. MarkD on the board here as well as many other chip programmers could make a custom chip for you too.

turbo setups are good in a way that you can have the potential for some crazy boost and hp figures, but the prices of some of these kits are crazy! i think they're like $6000 to $9000 USD.
If you can afford it, that's awsome, but it's too rich for my blood, I think i'd rather spend that kind of money on a euro-m3 engine swap and be naturally aspirated

bmwwade
04-01-2003, 03:41 PM
ESS has one for 7500 can$ Of course you need to factor in labour unless you are going to do it yourself so that would be another 2300$ or so. Turbos require you to tear your engine down and lower the compression ratio with new pistons if Im not mistaken.

Soldo
04-01-2003, 05:51 PM
hey DJ CONTRA what kinda POWER are you pushing with your setup?!
also, how much did this setup cost you?!
PM me with details!
Thanks