PDA

View Full Version : anyone have experience w/ Bridgestone Potenza RE92's?

Autotechnica
03-25-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm getting a set of wheels used from someone and it comes with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires. They are in good condition with decent tred left. However, here's the problem. I starting reading the reviews from Tirerack.com and OMFG!!! :eek: It would seem these tires are extremely dangerous to drive on. No wet or snow traction at all, acceptable dry traction, terrible tred wear, extremely soft sidewall and finally no indication when the tires will give out. All 30 some reviews I've read had the same comments. It's a terrible tire and should be recalled.

Anyways, since I'm planning on driving on these for a while, anyone know if these tires are really as bad as everyone says they are? Please let me know your experiences/opinions on them.

Thanks!

Bry

bart320i
03-26-2003, 12:16 AM
I dont' have a experience with the tires but if there is not one good review about the tire I suggest staying away. I mean if 30 people have had problems with them and no one has anything good to say then it's a good idea to say no. Just like Khumo's. Shit tires

Autotechnica
03-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by bart320i
I dont' have a experience with the tires but if there is not one good review about the tire I suggest staying away. I mean if 30 people have had problems with them and no one has anything good to say then it's a good idea to say no. Just like Khumo's. Shit tires

Thanks for your input.

Just curious, what's wrong with Khumho's? I've never tried them and I drive very agressively, but I know people who have used them and are very happy with them. They are cheap and last long, and supposidely they have good dry and wet traction.

Thanks,

Bry

Miguel
03-26-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Thanks for your input.

Just curious, what's wrong with Khumho's? I've never tried them and I drive very agressively, but I know people who have used them and are very happy with them. They are cheap and last long, and supposidely they have good dry and wet traction.

Thanks,

Bry

I got nothing bad to say about my Kumho I'Zen winters. They were nothing spectacular but they definately kept my car on the road this *Harsh* winter.*th-up*
for the money... why not?

bart320i
03-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Kuhmo's have a weak side wall and tend to bubble really bad. my buddy had kuhmo's on his civic and they ****ed up his wheels really bad. He said the worst tire in the world

RageHard
03-26-2003, 02:01 PM
RE92's suck they were the stock tires on my Impreza, I changed to Kumho 712's and they are great. Super stiff sidewalls, decent wet and dry grip and the wear very well.

Autotechnica
03-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Thanks guys,

But anyone with something good to say about them, please reply!

Just give me a reason not to toss these tires away which still have decent tred left.

Hmmm.. side walls look a little crapped out.

Thanks!

Bry

jello_g
03-27-2003, 12:39 AM
RE92's were supplied as the OEM tire on my Mazda. They sucked. Barely useful in the winter, horrible wet weather traction, and very squirmy when you want to drive a little more aggressively. I'm not surprised you've read many negative reviews. If you can avoid them, do so. If you have to live with them, just realize they are nothing like a performance tire. Good luck!

Autotechnica
03-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by jello_g
RE92's were supplied as the OEM tire on my Mazda. They sucked. Barely useful in the winter, horrible wet weather traction, and very squirmy when you want to drive a little more aggressively. I'm not surprised you've read many negative reviews. If you can avoid them, do so. If you have to live with them, just realize they are nothing like a performance tire. Good luck!

Are your sure they suck not just as a performance tire? I mean afterall the are "all seasons". And I never really thought any all season tire could handle any amount of snow unless you drove a FWD or AWD.

I was wondering how the compare with the same price range as the Yokohama AVID H4's, these tires were quite acceptable for performance as all seasons.

Thanks,

Bry

jello_g
03-27-2003, 11:57 AM
Autotechnica, if all you're concerned about is getting from A to B in a conservative manner, then yeah it's all good. But the moment you try to stretch it's capabilities, you'll be quickly reminded it really is only an all-season tire. You mention snow - the RE92 did not inspire confidence on my Mazda, and it's a FWD car. Come to think of it, I remember a time long, long ago when I pulled a 180 in slushy conditions while taking a slight bend (and no, I wasn't speeding at all, but obviously still pushing the tire beyond it's, up to that point unbeknownst to me, tractability in the snow/slush).

I can't comment on the AVID H4 (never used them before). I eventually replaced the RE92's with Michelin MX4+ (or something like that - long time ago so I don't remember for sure), and they were much better than the RE92. I'm using Toyo T1-S now because it doesn't get driven in the winter anymore. I would reason people are critical of the RE92 because there are better options available.

Autotechnica
03-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks for your help :)

Anyways, I think I'm going to use these up and maybe buy some new rubbers by the end of summer. It's too bad that these tires have such weak sidewalls, I corner my car very hard all the time, but then again maybe I can get more drifts in as well.

It's not so much the tire that makes the car bad but the driver. I guess you just have to know the limits.

Bry

qwk325
03-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I'm getting a set of wheels used from someone and it comes with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires. They are in good condition with decent tred left. However, here's the problem. I starting reading the reviews from Tirerack.com and OMFG!!! :eek: It would seem these tires are extremely dangerous to drive on. No wet or snow traction at all, acceptable dry traction, terrible tred wear, extremely soft sidewall and finally no indication when the tires will give out. All 30 some reviews I've read had the same comments. It's a terrible tire and should be recalled.

Anyways, since I'm planning on driving on these for a while, anyone know if these tires are really as bad as everyone says they are? Please let me know your experiences/opinions on them.

Thanks!

Bry

Dude the tires are shit really , they did nothing for me , I was not impressed.*thmbsdwn*

Autotechnica
03-29-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by qwk325
Dude the tires are shit really , they did nothing for me , I was not impressed.*thmbsdwn*

God damn, not one positive response. These tires must truely be shit. I'm surprized that they are "V" rated, I know some have different ratings so could this be the reason all of you are saying they are crap?

Bry

RageHard
03-31-2003, 12:16 PM
I said they are crap because anything over 4/10ths caused them to fold over. I had worn the writing off the sidewall well before I ever AutoX'ed on them, the AutoX really showed their weakness!

Autotechnica
03-31-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by RageHard
I said they are crap because anything over 4/10ths caused them to fold over. I had worn the writing off the sidewall well before I ever AutoX'ed on them, the AutoX really showed their weakness!

Thanks I'll take your word for it. I guess for now I'll have to drive on them since I don't have any money for new tires. I'll just have to be all show no go :(

My goodyear winters seem to grip the corners quite well, only problem is they overheat and they sound and perform like a train on rails.

Bry