PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Fan removal tool

Colombian
03-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Hey, looking to do a water pump and thermostat job but need the cluth fan removal tool. anyone willing to rent or sell pls let me know. I will only need it for a couple of days. Thanks I located in burlington.

Hector

BMW BMXer
04-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Its a 32mm nut correct?

Headset wrenches from bike shops work if you have one near you... they are about 20 bucks.

Colombian
04-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Hey, the 32mm wrench is not the problem. looking for the hook that attaches to the botls so that the pulley is unable to move.

Thanks

nachos23
04-01-2010, 04:58 PM
If you have a 32mm wrench and you can get it between blades and fan cover, then the other tool is unnecessary. JUST REMEMEBER REVERSE THREAD. Take and place the wrench so that the end extends vertically between fan blade and engine. Take a small hammer and give the end a quick whack clockwise. It will NOT harm the clutch fan and I've been removing them this way for yrs. The whack will break the thread lock and you will be able to spin the fan off. Installation is the reverse. Fan belt will provide sufficient pressure to tighen. Clutch fan nut designed to stay tight when operating due to direction of engine rotation.

328iInt.o
04-01-2010, 06:50 PM
If you have a 32mm wrench and you can get it between blades and fan cover, then the other tool is unnecessary. JUST REMEMEBER REVERSE THREAD. Take and place the wrench so that the end extends vertically between fan blade and engine. Take a small hammer and give the end a quick whack clockwise. It will NOT harm the clutch fan and I've been removing them this way for yrs. The whack will break the thread lock and you will be able to spin the fan off. Installation is the reverse. Fan belt will provide sufficient pressure to tighen. Clutch fan nut designed to stay tight when operating due to direction of engine rotation.

Um well sometimes. I tried this method but could not break it free. No matter how hard I kept smacking the 32mm wrench. I got one of my friends at a CNC machine shop to fab me up a pully holder.

With the pully holder and 32mm wrench, I relized that there was some force to the nut and no way was I going to knock it free with a 3lb slugger as I was trying.

E30M42cab
04-01-2010, 10:01 PM
There is a GM fan clutch holder at Princess Auto... it works exactly the same as a BMW clutch holder. $13. Works like a charm. There is also an adjustable one. Everyone should have one of these in their tool box.

http://www.princessauto.com/tools/auto-repair/auto-repair/8064479-gm-clutch-fan-holder?keyword=Fan+Clutch

Done.