PDA

View Full Version : CARBONIO Intakes? Anyone ever heard of them?

Daydream///M3
03-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Does any member on the board have a carbonio intake? Has anyone even heard of these intakes?
Thanks

mkgino
03-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Daydream///M3
Does any member on the board have a carbonio intake? Has anyone even heard of these intakes?
Thanks

Make your own, it will cost you $150!!! Easiest thing I have ever done in my life

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5548&highlight=intake+made

anc325
03-24-2003, 10:42 PM
I know for a fact that Gav did in fact make his own custom intake on his last car and i think he might have had problems with it.....

personally i wuld rather have one thats been properly manufactered and has a real warranty than somethign made yourself, not saying that yours mkgino is of lesser quality but just that the likely hood of somehting going wrong is higher on an intake that you make yourself , when compared to one that has been through R/D time from a manufacturer....

no gav i havent heard of carbonio intakes, i checked some sites out on them and found almost nothing about application for bmw's i found one site that said they made one that fit the m3 but mostly all i could dig up was stuff about vw's...

http://www.carboniointakes.com/dd.htm

thats the link for the site but im sure since you posted it then you already checked it out, hopefully somehtign i said can help you

ADAM

mkgino
03-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by anc325
I know for a fact that Gav did in fact make his own custom intake on his last car and i think he might have had problems with it.....

personally i wuld rather have one thats been properly manufactered and has a real warranty than somethign made yourself, not saying that yours mkgino is of lesser quality but just that the likely hood of somehting going wrong is higher on an intake that you make yourself , when compared to one that has been through R/D time from a manufacturer....

no gav i havent heard of carbonio intakes, i checked some sites out on them and found almost nothing about application for bmw's i found one site that said they made one that fit the m3 but mostly all i could dig up was stuff about vw's...

http://www.carboniointakes.com/dd.htm

thats the link for the site but im sure since you posted it then you already checked it out, hopefully somehtign i said can help you

ADAM

lol, have you ever made your own intake? It is probably easier than anything I have ever done in my life when it comes to cars. I actually thought installing my ellipsoids/angel eyes was harder than making an intake. There really isnt anywhere you can go wrong, unless your a complete moron and put the k&n filter on your exhaust.

There really isnt a way a company like ECIS or AA or whomever can make an intake "better" than a home made one. They just want to make people believe that so they will pay the extra money.

Most important thing is that you should just make sure everything is sealed up properly and that all air is going through the filter. If you think spending triple the price on an intake is justified because of their supposed "testing" then go ahead, but I wouldnt do it because it is not worth it. believe me they dont use some magical plastic or aluminum for construction.

Daydream///M3
03-24-2003, 11:55 PM
Well Adam, you sure like to post stuff eh :confused:
My intake didnt work that well because of software and my supercharger... that is completely independent of making your own homemade intake and it has no bearing on bad quality of a home made kit. It was strictly because of my software ...not the intake. My checkengine light would have went on regardless of my intake.

john... Ive seen your intake before and I agree it is easy to do and you did a good job.

I dont want to cut corners for my new car so I want everything done right with Brand name stuff. My intentions arent really to get the Carbonio intake but Randy encouraged me to go on the board and see if anyone had one so I could take a look at the quality.

So... does anyone have one??:D

Daydream///M3
03-25-2003, 12:02 AM
oh... also John, let me know when you are downtown possibly at the st george campus... give me call on my cell... maybe I can hear your AA exhaust... Im interested in that exhaust.....

Also... let me know when you are available so you can bring your bumper pieces into my buddies shop to get an exact quote on painting

Jon@Bimmersport
03-25-2003, 12:04 AM
gavin, get one of those dinan c/f intakes...since you might get their suspension, just more points towards that dinan badge hehe

straight_6
03-25-2003, 12:14 AM
There is a big diffrents if you make your intake or buy one that is flow tested and properly make.
I dont think slaping something together would be any diffrent then just droping a K&N filter in your stock a airbox.

I know the guy who makes the carbonio intakes and i know that he spent alot of time make and testing his product.
Talk to empowrd he knows the guy, and all about the product.

Daydream///M3
03-25-2003, 01:05 AM
hey straight 6.. I think I remember meeting you in the summer with Randy and Bruce and Julian. Kevin right??....

I already talked to Randy about this and this it what he suggested... you have any idea how much his intakes go for.

Im leaning at DINAN though cause I have a hook up.

mkgino
03-25-2003, 01:07 AM
oh... also John, let me know when you are downtown possibly at the st george campus... give me call on my cell... maybe I can hear your AA exhaust... Im interested in that exhaust.....

Also... let me know when you are available so you can bring your bumper pieces into my buddies shop to get an exact quote on painting

Thanks dude, I am waiting for a rieger infinity lip I ordered today for my ///M front. I am going to get it probably the weekend of the 4th of april. After that we will go in for a quote. When we do go for a quote, you can hear my exhaust. Best tone IMO, not too loud and a nice deep rumble.

I will call you after the weekend of the 4th. Thanks!*th-up*

straight_6
03-25-2003, 01:33 AM
hey straight 6.. I think I remember meeting you in the summer with Randy and Bruce and Julian. Kevin right??....

I already talked to Randy about this and this it what he suggested... you have any idea how much his intakes go for.

Im leaning at DINAN though cause I have a hook up.

YEP! I think that would be me. I don't know prices on this stuff, but i heard that it flows better then a Dinan. If its HP numbers your after i would really think about carbonio.

Furious
03-25-2003, 02:12 AM
hey Gavin what prices are you getting quoted at for these intakes? i havent made mine yet (lazy) but if the price is good i may wanna scope this out.
straight_6 why would making your own intake be like throwing in a K&N drop in filter? (sorry retarded question, just curious)

straight_6
03-25-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Furious325is

straight_6 why would making your own intake be like throwing in a K&N drop in filter? (sorry retarded question, just curious)

I'm not 100% but when you run just a foot of metal tubing and put a cone filter on the end. I would think it would defeating the whole "cold air" part of the cold air intake. If there is no out side air coming into or being blowen around your filter your sucking nothing but engine heat.
Ever notice your car feels alot more peppy on a cooler day.

Ever seen a AEM intake on a Honda. My g/f has one on her single cam civic and you notice a big diff. I've never seen a Carboino but if it is anything like a Dinan then they relocate the area the air will be being sucked from. ie away from the the engine, as far way from a heat source.

Hope that help alittle.

mkgino
03-25-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by straight_6
I'm not 100% but when you run just a foot of metal tubing and put a cone filter on the end. I would think it would defeating the whole "cold air" part of the cold air intake. If there is no out side air coming into or being blowen around your filter your sucking nothing but engine heat.
Ever notice your car feels alot more peppy on a cooler day.

Ever seen a AEM intake on a Honda. My g/f has one on her single cam civic and you notice a big diff. I've never seen a Carboino but if it is anything like a Dinan then they relocate the area the air will be being sucked from. ie away from the the engine, as far way from a heat source.

Hope that help alittle.

Thats why you make a heat shield too.*th-up*

Furious
03-25-2003, 02:46 AM
ok this is where i got that whole problem licked i think.. im gonna make a heat sheild and run 3 inch dryer hose (that stuff that you use for your laundry dryer) from the air duct to the cone filter. im gonna cut a hole out of the air duct or just not use it at all..
i thought you were gonna say something else. thanks for your response straight 6

straight_6
03-25-2003, 03:02 AM
ok this is where i got that whole problem licked i think.. im gonna make a heat sheild and run 3 inch dryer hose (that stuff that you use for your laundry dryer) from the air duct to the cone filter. im gonna cut a hole out of the air duct or just not use it at all..
i thought you were gonna say something else. thanks for your response straight 6

Ya ok, now i think your getting it*drink*

Furious
03-25-2003, 03:04 AM
lol.. its worth a try .. lots of people have done this. and besides i dont think i want an intake that low. just because i do drive a whole lot (about 250 kilometers a day) and all year round.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-25-2003, 03:07 AM

sort of...OR you can just make longer piping putting the filter lower...but then i'd recomend getting a bypass valve from AEM and retrofiting it to prevent hydrolock.

Furious
03-25-2003, 03:09 AM
thought about that . but then it starts to get complicated :D (not really) ,, honestly my budget is kinda stiff right now. even if i decide to just get a name brand intake. it would have to wait.

Daydream///M3
03-25-2003, 03:17 AM
Why does everyone worry so much about water getting into your engine. Its not like you put the intake in a bowl of water or anything.
Hydrolock only occurs when a huge amount of water gets into your engine.

A little bit of water in physical terms is actually better. Conforti wrote this article that says that theoretically after a rain storm when humidity and moisture concentrations in the are are higher... you generate the most power from your engine since the extra moisture that is forced into your cylinder chambers vaporizes and expands producing an extra force on the pistons increasing bhp... however only marginally.

I think DINAN has the best design... now imagine combining that with an ECIS heat shield:idea:

straight_6
03-25-2003, 03:18 AM
Hey man, Do what you want. I like to say if your going to do it, do it right the first time or just don't do it at all.

straight_6
03-25-2003, 03:27 AM
Why does everyone worry so much about water getting into your engine. Its not like you put the intake in a bowl of water or anything.
Hydrolock only occurs when a huge amount of water gets into your engine.

A little bit of water in physical terms is actually better. Conforti wrote this article that says that theoretically after a rain storm when humidity and moisture concentrations in the are are higher... you generate the most power from your engine since the extra moisture that is forced into your cylinder chambers vaporizes and expands producing an extra force on the pistons increasing bhp... however only marginally.

I think DINAN has the best design... now imagine combining that with an ECIS heat shield:idea:

Someone told me once that back in the day of the muscle cars they used to spray small amounts of water into the intake when the car is running and it was suppose to clean away crap in the combustion chamber and the injectors. Small amounts of water constently beening scked in will blow your motor too.
I've heard stories.

Furious
03-25-2003, 04:17 AM
im not too too worried about water. but id rather be safe than sorry. besides im sure some of you guys out there have been driving around the city where there was massive flooding. believe me some of the puddles i went through were 3/4 of the way up my bell trucks tires. thats enough to submerge your intake if its down at the bottom. like i said .. im just playing it safe and cheap.
straight 6, thanks for the input, i havent decided on which route to go. but chances are i will make my own intake. i have stuff at work that is just like CF, its stays cool under heat (unless its high intensity heat) you have to shape this stuff with a blow torche and its pretty cool. and twice as expensive as CF. ill see what i can do with it. if i can use it at all.

Daydream///M3
03-25-2003, 01:10 PM
here are some pics of the carbonio intake... looks pretty good... sells for 289 US

Daydream///M3
03-25-2003, 01:11 PM
second pic and last

Shamis
03-25-2003, 03:41 PM
O THAT WOULD LOOK SOO GOOD ON MY CAR

HOW MUCH ARE THEY???? CAN U GET WATER IN THE FILTER CAUSE ITS LOWER???

EMPOWERD
03-25-2003, 05:16 PM
The filter is located under the heat shield, but rests on top of the brake duct. The Carbonio systems are designed with ellipoid lights in mind (for clearance). The pic of the red E36 was actually a 318is... there is room to move the heat shield back or forth to clear the larger ellipoid lights that may be installed on a car. During independant testing, the Carbonio intakes flowed better air through their carbon tubes vs. the Dinan one due to the specific radius and interior finish... this is why one of these intakes will bring in more air than a Home Depot DO-IT-YOURSELF jobbie. If you're spending $20,000+ on a BMW, why skimp on $300 for an intake that someone designed properly?

mkgino
03-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by empowerd
The filter is located under the heat shield, but rests on top of the brake duct. The Carbonio systems are designed with ellipoid lights in mind (for clearance). The pic of the red E36 was actually a 318is... there is room to move the heat shield back or forth to clear the larger ellipoid lights that may be installed on a car. During independant testing, the Carbonio intakes flowed better air through their carbon tubes vs. the Dinan one due to the specific radius and interior finish... this is why one of these intakes will bring in more air than a Home Depot DO-IT-YOURSELF jobbie. If you're spending $20,000+ on a BMW, why skimp on $300 for an intake that someone designed properly?

Because an intake isnt worth the gain in hp per dollar spent. The cheapest BMW intake for an E36 is the ECIS which is $358 cad plus shipping. Now they used a K&N filter, I used a K&N filter. they used a tube, I used a tube. THeir connectors look identical to the ones I used. They made a heat shield, I made a heatshield. So why is there a $200 dollar price difference? Because they want to make money. An intake isnt rocket science, and because we drive $20 000 plus cars doesnt mean we should have to pay more for something that is not worth it. If you take your time and do it properly, then there is nothing to worry about.

Im not sure about this but didnt you make your S/C yourself Randy??

GR8 Ride
03-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Especially since there isn't a flow issue with the 2.5 / 2.8L engines anyway.

Even the 3.0L / 3.2L motors don't really have an intake airflow issue. Breathing really isn't much of a problem with any CAI system, unless it's a poorly built unit which does nothing but bring hot engine air into the system.

A properly built heat-shield should take car of that, and this is where Dinan / ECIS / Conforti et al spend their efforts. However, this is still a high margin business....those guys are making big $$$ off each unit they sell.

Remember, no CAI can push more air into the engine than the engine is sucking in at any point in time. It's not a forced air motor; all air being used for combustion is as a result of engine vacuum. As long as there is sufficient air to fill up the intake manifold, that's about all you're going to get.

Pat

Furious
03-25-2003, 10:10 PM
this is what i figured. the mark up on these intakes are amazing sometimes. granted they have been tested and proven .but with care and proper construction , i think that you/i can make a decent intake from scratch... both parties have great points, however i think i will go the DIY route because of i have lots in store for the car in the near future. also Randy would having a homemade intake affect a bored out throttle body at all?
thanks guys this thread is really informative to me.

Shamis
03-26-2003, 01:18 AM
MKGINO HOW DO U MAKE HEAT SHIELDS I NEED ONE??? PM ME

mkgino
03-26-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Shamis
MKGINO HOW DO U MAKE HEAT SHIELDS I NEED ONE??? PM ME

AHHH, dont yell at me!! PM Sent
*th-up*

Shamis
03-26-2003, 02:26 AM
didnt get one

Daydream///M3
03-28-2003, 03:28 PM
ok....just picked one intake up from Paul at Carbonio for a 318is... gotta use that first before testing on an M3.
Kit is great quality and the Carbon fiber weave is actually better than Dinan's which they had one there to show me as well.

Paul as well is a great guy to deal with... very helpful and friendly.

Here are some pics enclosed........

Daydream///M3
03-28-2003, 03:32 PM
another pic.... close up of Carbon fiber weave

Shamis
03-28-2003, 03:42 PM
TIGHT!

mkgino
03-28-2003, 05:00 PM
How much did u end up paying for it??

WASABI
03-28-2003, 06:11 PM
*mw* hmmmmmmmm carbon fiber *mw* It looks good Gav, time for butt dyno eh?

Daydream///M3
03-28-2003, 07:41 PM
the intake costs 289 US shipped anywhere in Toronto for free.. dont think you even pay tax on that. That one is for my 318.. not for the M3... I just wanted to see the diff on my 318 before I invested it on the M3... want to use it as a guinea pig.