PDA

View Full Version : How long would a BMW bought today last?

PBalla
03-24-2003, 12:40 AM
My '87 has treated me well and its been going strong all these years.

If I bought a new BMW today, can I expect the same reliability over the next, say, 15 yrs?

I talkin' 'bout running on one battery, hardly any rust, strong engine, and can easily last over 250000 miles.

Or are the new Bimmers just not fit for reliability?

(I haven't driven a BMW past the build date of 1987)

SickFinga
03-24-2003, 12:45 AM
You are sying you have a battery from the factory??
you are kidding, right?

PBalla
03-24-2003, 12:55 AM
no...

one battery since '87

my antenna has already died, not my battery

KennyTheGreat
03-24-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Pharshballa
no...

one battery since '87

my antenna has already died, not my battery

holy crapola

anyhow, if you maintained the car well, kept it washed and had it rust proofed every winter and ain't a guy with a heavy foot. I think you can have a BMW that would last a really long time. My 87 Benz(also a european car) has treat me well, still running strong. I grew up with this car anyhow but I'm feelings it's a bit too old for me. btw. It's up for sale. PM if your interested :P

MACI4LIFE
03-24-2003, 01:56 AM
how long would the new ones last. As long as any domestic you see on the road. Honestly where are the 3 series made?? in north america!! where it doesn't matter how well you do it cause you still get paid at the end of the day.

i'll give you an interesting little example of my 90 5 series compared to a 2002 320i.

My car and my brother in laws sister's car were parked on the driveway and we were all talking when she leans against my car ( i got pissed naturally, but that was beside the point :) ) anyways when she pushed off she kinda hit it by accident and goes, your car sounds so much more solid than mine. We're like huh?? so then she knocks on my fender and then knocks on hers. It's unbelievable how much thinner the new beamer metal is around the car. Her's sounded so hollow, while mine had a noticably lower sounds coming from it. Judging by that, i would say that bmw's trying to cut costs where ever they can now, and quality issues are now catching up to them.

I will honestly only buy 5 series cars ( and not only cause i'm biased ) because they are still made in germany!!

qimis
03-24-2003, 02:16 AM
i thought BMW only make X5s and Z3 (was) and Z4s in north america ?

e30_325_s52
03-24-2003, 02:20 AM
My '87 has treated me well and its been going strong all these years.

If I bought a new BMW today, can I expect the same reliability over the next, say, 15 yrs?

I talkin' 'bout running on one battery, hardly any rust, strong engine, and can easily last over 250000 miles.

Or are the new Bimmers just not fit for reliability?

(I haven't driven a BMW past the build date of 1987) ..do u even drive it?...hehe lik once every month or a daily driver?

M3ti Compact
03-24-2003, 03:14 AM
The sticker on my 1995 318ti says "Made in Germany" and there is German/English stickers everywhere...unlike my American made Sienna, with English/French stickers everywhere...

Soldo
03-24-2003, 03:23 AM
FOR sure, i've had 2 BMW's so far, my 320i had 250k when i bought it, and it still ran BEAUTIFULLY without any probs!!!
and now my 325 had 190 when i got it in august and now has about 224k and i still have not had any MAJOR engine problems!!
and i've TRACKED my car a few times!!!!
i would say that HELL YA a new BMW will last for a LONNNNNNNNNG TIME!!

PBalla
03-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by e30_325_s52
..do u even drive it?...hehe lik once every month or a daily driver?

well if i drove once a month it'd be quite the monthly road trip now

30 miles to work
30 miles from work

5 days a week

50 weeks / yr

since '87

*wiggle*

djcontra
03-24-2003, 02:49 PM
any car will last long if you take good care of it.

If you're like my grandma, it'll last forever!
She has an original 1988 Mustang GT that she won off a radio contest many years ago, and it's never needed anything except gas and a boost (but it's only got 1500 km's on it too =)

At the dealership where I bought my first e36, the owner had an E36 of his own which had over 385,000 km's on it and it was still running well.

anc325
03-24-2003, 02:55 PM
it seems to me that the newer the car the less likely it is to have problems, but this could be hinged on what type of car you have or how your particular car was built for example,

my family bought our 1994 325i and have had no major problems with it what so ever, that same year (98) we bought a brand new s70 t5 and have had nothing but trouble with it since weve had it, its fast as shit but man is it crappy...i cant even list all the problems we have had with that car.

i guess its clear to see the difference between these two cars but the bimmer was cheaper and older and still we have had nothing major go wrong with it

ADAM

e30_325_s52
03-24-2003, 03:23 PM
well if i drove once a month it'd be quite the monthly road trip now

30 miles to work
30 miles from work

5 days a week

50 weeks / yr

since '87

*wiggle* damn...now that is a example that german cars are good =)..keep it up maybe ull get anthor 100000 out of it..hehee maybe...keep us posted bout ur car...not tryin to make it go to shit...but see how many miles u can pump out of it...:D

MACI4LIFE
03-24-2003, 06:46 PM
i think the newer 3's are made here. Not 100% sure though.

the simpler the car, the less there is to break.

look at the new 7's. The first few months that they were out, was a nightmare for BMW. Supposedly, they were having computer failures bigtime.

Fernando
03-24-2003, 07:17 PM
I think with the automotive market getting as competative as it is, automakers must focus on performance and quality in order to survive.

I don't believe bmw would deliberately cut corners in order to sell more cars. If you take a close look at how certain models were built years ago, and compare them to today (same model), you will see previous deficiancies have been ironed out, ie: e34 Nikasil issue, e36 overheating problems.

Whether BMW's quality is demished due to build issues resulting from assembly plants out of German soil, then that's a different story. Take the Benz ML line, earlier models had terrible build issues, trim, fuel pumps, etc... But apparently they've cleaned up their act.

Any automaker can have design flaws in a first year production vehicle, its how they improve that makes the difference.

BTW I don't see BMW's rust protection warranty being any inferior today as apposed to 20 years ago.

Just my $.02

Cheers,

Fernando

Furious
03-24-2003, 08:41 PM
rumor has it that BMW's are said to be able to withstand a nuclear blast. so thus meaning that there will only be cockroches and bimmers left in the world when the nuclear war is over. :D joking

MACI4LIFE
03-25-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Fernando
I think with the automotive market getting as competative as it is, automakers must focus on performance and quality in order to survive.

actually thats my point. BMW has almost brought itself down to the level of the other companies.

2 things that i can think of are the fact that they have a product line as deep as GM now. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 series. WTF??

and the other is that they are really buying into this munjicake attitude of making the car last as long as the lease.( i appologize to all of the munjicakes on the board for this comment).

I for one enjoy fixing my own cars, and that is the european mentality also. North Americans with their disposable income coming out of their asses like to lease a car and not worry about it afterwards. And that is what i believe BMW is doing now. Throwing all of their little gadgets and toys into the car so that it performs, yet breaks down after three years.

I'm mainly talking about the last couple of years rather than mid 90's and earlier. To all that have the newer cars, i definately don't want any misfortunes to come to you, but it's just the things that i've been hearing lately.

PBalla
03-25-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by e30_325_s52
damn...now that is a example that german cars are good =)..keep it up maybe ull get anthor 100000 out of it..hehee maybe...keep us posted bout ur car...not tryin to make it go to shit...but see how many miles u can pump out of it...:D

you're gonna jinx me and it'll break down tomorrow

:moon:

e30_325_s52
03-25-2003, 02:41 AM
you're gonna jinx me and it'll break down tomorrow

:moon: haha im just playin man...anyone know of anyone wit a record of miles on there bmw?

spawnbmw
03-25-2003, 05:29 PM
as for bimmers being built here is not to an advantage.....if i had a choice i would make sure it was made in germany....that is why i own a M-3....

mbavaria30s
03-25-2003, 09:44 PM
"2 things that i can think of are the fact that they have a product line as deep as GM now. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 series. WTF??"

uh, no? 1 and 2 series are not in production, they are just concepts. same with the 4. 6 is a series being brought out of retirement, and the 8 is long dead. So really, we're at the 3, 5, 6, and 7 series. What's wrong with that? Don't forget the isetta 600, the one door, 3 wheel car. That was a bimmer, too.

Also, I have to call bs on your leaselife comment. I disagree whole-heartedly. Most 3ers my friends and bbs-goers have had have lasted like a brick. The engines aren't winning awards for nothing!

Yeah, on the note of oldies lasting forever.. my 74 bavaria ran to 488,000 miles on that one engine. :)

MACI4LIFE
03-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by mbavaria30s
"2 things that i can think of are the fact that they have a product line as deep as GM now. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 series. WTF??"

uh, no? 1 and 2 series are not in production, they are just concepts. same with the 4. 6 is a series being brought out of retirement, and the 8 is long dead. So really, we're at the 3, 5, 6, and 7 series. What's wrong with that? Don't forget the isetta 600, the one door, 3 wheel car. That was a bimmer, too.

Also, I have to call bs on your leaselife comment. I disagree whole-heartedly. Most 3ers my friends and bbs-goers have had have lasted like a brick. The engines aren't winning awards for nothing!

Yeah, on the note of oldies lasting forever.. my 74 bavaria ran to 488,000 miles on that one engine. :)

I know they're not out yet, but they are slated to be in production, so thats just as good.:moon:

"Also, I have to call bs on your leaselife comment. I disagree whole-heartedly. Most 3ers my friends and bbs-goers have had have lasted like a brick. The engines aren't winning awards for nothing!"

i'm talking about the newest beamers. Lets take a look at the new 7 series. nearly all were recalled due to the computer problems the first month of production ( have a friend that works at a BMW dealership ), and thats not an engine problem. I still have confidence in all bmw engines ( haven't heard of one that has blown up ), but the other components put into it are what worries me as well as the workmanship.

MACI4LIFE
03-26-2003, 01:53 PM
And the Z8 replaced the 8 series so there's still an 8 out there!!!

Oddjob
03-27-2003, 01:19 PM
Only the X5 and Z4 are built in North America. Possibly the X3 will be.

The 3 series is built in several continents, but not North America.

bart320i
03-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Oddjob
Only the X5 and Z4 are built in North America. Possibly the X3 will be.

The 3 series is built in several continents, but not North America.

Add Z3 and M-coupe to that list. but they are no longer in production. I don't think bmw should start producing ///M car in NA or anywhere else for that matter